Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 29 May 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1924094)   #26
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet
BRxC
Finally my Acronym influence has paid off

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 29 May 2007, 21:26 (Ref:1924172)   #27
chris cake
Racer

England
LYDDEN HILL
chris cake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets say i would not of wanted to be a COC yesterday!!!!

I know its easy to say things after the event or not involved in but there was a good forecast that the rain would be heavy and in the area by 4 pm !

I'm in no way trying to criticise anybody but perhaps it would been a good idea to carry on with the racing instead of a launch break!

I'm sure the marshals would off rather been hungry than very wet!
Old 29 May 2007, 21:56 (Ref:1924200)   #28
flying flynn
Racer

flying flynn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi if anyone got any pics of 580 Conor let me know please.
We had a fun time at Lydden. We were competing at Twyford forest on the Sunday with daughter Ella [16] co-driving and me running the 205 challenge event there.
Young Conor was disappointed when he learned the Mini still needed a chunk of work on it after the Pembrey roll 2 weeks ago. Not to be outdone the lads rallied round, Prynny and Mc Phee got on with bolting all the bits back on it, while bodyshop man Geno Cook and Matt who did a great job of starightening the car and repainting it, [although they had the Twyford rally to do] they worked till midnight then took the 5 hr journey from Builth wells to Lydden.
The 1st heat[msa] was a disaster with the screen coming out and knocking the kill switch off, the 2nd heat [BTRDA ]was much better, Con had a great battle with Thom and did a good move down the hill to retake the lead and take the heat.
the 3rd heat [msa,] was not so good as Con went to take Simpson at the chicane, he was moved towards the kerb, knocking a tyre off,
the 4th Heat[BTRDA] saw Rennison clear off, while Con and Russ Simpson battled it, despite Simpson firing him off on the hairpin, Con retook 2nd place to take 2nd.
the final MSA heat we hoped would be kind, but the 1st splash at Chessons took a plug lead off, so a slow 3 cylinders last.
the final BTRDA heat saw Conor finish 3rd behind Tracey, & Rennison again battling Russ for 3rd.
So a B final for the MSA saw Con take the lead from the back row, then pull clear, the conditions were very bad now, Conor was the only finisher!!!!
Wonder if we get a rebate for missing the 2 A finals, In Rallying that is the norm for cancelled stages.
A gesture would be good, as its expensive competing in both junior championships.
What happens with points, is it Final qualifying positions??

Huge thanks to Geno, Matt, Smurf, Nico, Ella, Prynny & mc Phee plus Liz, Carol & Barney. It was a huge sleepless effort with 700+ miles to get us there, Thanks we could not have done it without you.

Nice to see all the Juniors rallying round helping each other, swapping parts etc, Thanks Samantha Thom for loan of screen. Glad young Matt Thompson was good after his shunt.
Pat

Last edited by flying flynn; 29 May 2007 at 21:59.
Old 30 May 2007, 05:23 (Ref:1924340)   #29
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UK trip

I was not happy with the race cansellation.

my point of view:

There where two A-finals, they both went wrong. Another start would have gone wrong again i think. Windscreen wipers are ok for rain and some mud, but on a track covered with mud like monday, cars are trowing truckloads of mud up in the air. Accidents will happen!

Some spectators will love to see some crashes, but as cars cost lots and lots of money, drivers would not be happy to take a damaged car home.

I have been very close to a former rallycross team, and after a race there is more then enough work to do, and money enough to be spend. (engine, gearbox, diffs, suspension...)

Was my UK trip worthless?
Not at all, i must say i have seen some great racing, not only supercars and supermods, but also the Mini's where great to see, very close racing.

I also get the difference between MSA, BRDA and BTRDA, at last.

Conclusion: I visit Lydden again first time i have the chance.

Global warming: Not a problem in Lydden for sure!
Old 30 May 2007, 09:35 (Ref:1924455)   #30
Twin Airbags
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincolnshire
Twin Airbags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris Cake - I'm sure the marshals would off rather been hungry than very wet!

In some ways I'm so releaved that I couldn't afford to make the journey down to Lydden, I had a feeling it would be VERY wet. As a Marshal - I DO NOT get paid, and don't even get petrol expenses paid for a long journey. There isn't many of us out there, and those that come along, do it because we love being part of rallycross, and being part of the action.

It is such a shame when a meeting is abandoned, it's the last thing anyone wants to hear. But it is obvious a desicion had to be made, when a spectator bank is compromised, knowing the cars are acting like out of control speed boats, and the risk injury to a marshal, spectator or even a driver is too high.

I would have been one of those poor unfortunates, stood out on post in the pouring rain, absolutley soaked to the skin. The prospect of a 4hour journey home in wet clothes, isn't good for getting up for work the next day. But like in the past, for the love of Rallycross, I have been that person who stopped at Motorway services wearing my PJ's.

Chris, I would like to invite you to stand alongside us marshals for a day, and experience the bank, it's surprisingly refreshing! I'm curious to see if you can cope with a long stand, no food, no loo - in the pouring rain, with cars coming at you from all angles, to be told - no break. We'll see whos underwear gets wet first!

Then again on the other end of the scale, I'd be up for the challenge to see things from a drivers perspective for one day - any offers for a swop shop?
Old 30 May 2007, 09:55 (Ref:1924474)   #31
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The main thing on his mind would be safety, not only for the competitors and the marshals, but also the spectators. If he had even the slightest doubt that anyone's safety might be compromised the only decision he could make was abandonment.
I agree its tough sb but motorsport is always going to compromise your safety in one way or another! The question is did the conditions present an unacceptable risk? Very wet conditions do increase the possibility of accidents but then the racing is usually taking place at lower speeds particularly in corners. If the spectator bank is being threatened then there is something wrong with the spectator bank and that needs to be looked into - this has been mentioned before at Lydden...

A lot of the attraction and challenge of rallycross used to be the mud and extreme conditions - it would be a shame if we lost this completely. Take the point about you poor marshals though...!
Old 30 May 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1924496)   #32
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok can we compare with the 3rd Round at mondello......

Now i could go on quoting photos all day if i wanted, the point of the above is that WE here in ireland have had far worse weather on many occasions and the event has very rarely been stopped; Now your saying about standing water, if any of ye have gone into rallycross 3 (especially on the 3rd round) you would see that you might aswell of needed a boat to get through it.

It was the same on rallycross 1 and rallycross 2. And we all drove accordingly. I dont see why from the many photos i have seen from the day that the event was effectivly abandoned, i know there was alot of people complaining about how ineffective tires were on the day but thats what ye have signed up for.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 31 May 2007, 06:59 (Ref:1925161)   #33
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lydden results are avilable now
Click Here for MSA/BRDA
Click Here for BTRDA
Old 31 May 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1925638)   #34
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will more than welcome any irish help at pembrey!
Old 31 May 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1925712)   #35
GreenSaxo
Racer

England
Ashford, Kent
GreenSaxo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was sad that it was cancelled early. but as a soaked spectator, and very close to the d.c crash. i think it was the right decision to call it off..

video of dermots crash.. (watch the camera man fly - he seemed shook up. but ok) video taken by a mate
Old 31 May 2007, 21:57 (Ref:1925719)   #36
BOY BLUNDER
Veteran

England
margate
BOY BLUNDER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that just goes to show the right decision was made at the end of the day.

BB....
Old 31 May 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1925760)   #37
richorton
Racer

richorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOY BLUNDER
I think that just goes to show the right decision was made at the end of the day.

BB....
I think the wright decision was made to .I think the marshals do a brillant job and a job they do for free to help us race .Id loaded up my car before they cancelled the finals .its no fun pottering round a water logged track not knowing if you were going to make the first corner .i went out in heat 3 in the stockhatch and i think i ve drove faster round tesco car park on a busy sat afternoon than i did on track .
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:36 (Ref:1926060)   #38
shhh
Veteran

Ireland
shhh has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxie
It may be harsh but if things are going to be run like this, you are going to have to expect to take some flack when things go wrong. The whole situation could of been managed alot better.
Unfair to compare to Mondello as the two circuits are nothing alike. Lydden is a bowl as we know so its only natural that when a large amount of rain falls that the bowl fills up! In all the years going there, I could count the number of wet days on one hand. Nobody is goin to spend the massive money for a drainage system so I think we should put last weekend down to an act of God and just appreciate the best track around and the home of Rallycross
Old 1 Jun 2007, 11:56 (Ref:1926175)   #39
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris cake
I'm in no way trying to criticise anybody but perhaps it would been a good idea to carry on with the racing instead of a launch break!

I'm sure the marshals would off rather been hungry than very wet!
You really don't have much idea do you Chris? You're entitled to your opinion - but it would carry some weight if you had ever placed yourself in the role of those for whom you speak.

Quote:
Organisers arnt mind readers.
And Monday's conditions needed a mindreader?

Quote:
Another saying, the Squeekyest wheel gets the oil.
I prefer the saying "An empty can rattles the most" - something certain people who think they know everything should take on board (Not aimed at you rxie I might add).

Makes me wonder why I bother to be honest. I marshal because I love the spectacle of rallycross. What I don't need is ill informed primadonna's telling me what's best for me. I don't need politics. I don't need the abuse from spectators or drivers.

The idea of a rota system is laughable 'cos there's barely enough of us to go round in the first place!! How often is poor old Tim stood on his own on the finish line?
Old 1 Jun 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1926184)   #40
Audi S1
Racer

Audi S1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSaxo
i was sad that it was cancelled early. but as a soaked spectator, and very close to the d.c crash. i think it was the right decision to call it off..

video of dermots crash.. (watch the camera man fly - he seemed shook up. but ok) video taken by a mate
Having seen the video and spoke to numerous drivers after the event, i would definately say that that Carnegie accident and many others was more due to the fact they had to run on rubbish tyres with NO grip, rather than the weather.

Not helping matters also was that drivers who had wet tyres vut at Pembrey were then told at Lydden that the cut in the tyres was not legal...... although it had been cut by Kumho technicians..............another way of getting more money out of the drivers me thinks!! To then make matters worse a well known Supermodified driver then took matter into his own hands and cut his own Kumho tyres, because he thought the tread given by the technicians wasn't enough..... he was then disqualified from his heat and 4 points put on his license.......and all for trying to race safely.... what kind of message does this all send out to other drivers........

I wonder if invoices should be sent to Kumho for the reapir bills of many cars, Carnegie's included due to tyres not being able to grip in the conditions.

You only have to look at other drive in that video clip struggling for grip.

I wonder if so many accidents wouldn't of happened and the meeting not called off had they all been on avons!! For anyone who was at the Lydden Masters event last year as part of the RSS the weather was just as bad, (if not worse) the event was not called off and drivers running on Avons, did not have any accidents!

Thoughts everyone.............
Old 1 Jun 2007, 14:48 (Ref:1926304)   #41
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's interesting that some of those who supported the control tyre are now having second thoughts. A lot of drivers clearly don't think the tyre works in the rain and if you're not allowed to modify it just what are you supposed to do?

Btw - I don't think anyone on here is criticising marshals who we all know do a fantastic job for the sport. We're just raising some questions about the BRDA's organisation of the meeting.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 17:03 (Ref:1926394)   #42
bestrep
Rookie

bestrep has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Lydden results are avilable now
Click Here for MSA/BRDA
Click Here for BTRDA
These are just times not results, IMHO there should be no results and the meeting should be regarded as a dropped bad result for all participants.You are probably all aware of my thoughts re the tyres in question if you dont want to use them use your regular tyres at other events there are plenty of non BRDA events out there!!!!LOL.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 17:49 (Ref:1926426)   #43
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bored already!

Well it rained at lydden Clerk of the course cancelled the event! His final say lets all move on,lessons will be learned regarding weather and tyres no doubt! so how about we start looking forward to the next round everybody learns by there mistakes ,not the end of the world Im sure dermott would of been glad if it was called off earlier.
One thing though Jordans tyres seemed to be working well espescially in the A final
Old 1 Jun 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1926430)   #44
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are always two sides to a debate, but this has managed to go from a discussion of whether the meeting should have been cancelled in the circumstances to the fact that some people don't like the BRDA or control tyres.

Free speech is important, of course, but remember that if you present your views in a rational way with a substantiated argument and suggestions for improvement rather than repeating an opinion, people will be more inclined to listen and take your ideas on board.

As regards the tyres, I don't think anything would have made the conditions safe, although certainly the rather general suggestion that driving on Avons would stop people from crashing needs looking at; imagine the damage and expense anti-crash tyres would save in a day!

But seriously, it's been a long time since the conditions were as bad as they were on Monday, and drainage on that scale is unrealistic for a rallycross circuit, which will only be used three or four times a year, so it's probaby more helpful to accept it as an act of nature, be disappointed for a while, then move on to something more topical.

Like anti-crash tyres! Now where did I put those contact details for Michelin...?
Old 1 Jun 2007, 18:05 (Ref:1926432)   #45
RXfan
Racer

RXfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi S1
For anyone who was at the Lydden Masters event last year as part of the RSS the weather was just as bad, (if not worse)
Thoughts everyone.............
I was there and erm... no
Old 1 Jun 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1926474)   #46
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXfan
I was there and erm... no

Must agree with RXfan
I was there for the RSS event in May last year as well and the rain may have been heavier at times but it was nowhere near as persisitant. In fact from memory it only rained late in the day not all afternoon as on Monday.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 17:57 (Ref:1928636)   #47
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog
I prefer the saying "An empty can rattles the most" - something certain people who think they know everything should take on board (Not aimed at you rxie I might add).
Whichever saying you wish to use, you cannot rely on people to think about you all the time its human nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhh
Unfair to compare to Mondello as the two circuits are nothing alike. Lydden is a bowl as we know so its only natural that when a large amount of rain falls that the bowl fills up! In all the years going there, I could count the number of wet days on one hand. Nobody is goin to spend the massive money for a drainage system so I think we should put last weekend down to an act of God and just appreciate the best track around and the home of Rallycross
Acctually what you said is quiet the opposite, remember water moves in the direction of less resistance, Mondello is a harder track to drain as you need multiple drainage points on certain sides of the track and at certain points. Mondello has multiple inclines and declines in the overall surface of the track, john or george would be able to tell you that.

Because lydden is a "Bowl" in the way the surface is formed its therefore easyer to plan for drainage points on the track therefore optimising the amount you need. With mondello its harder as most of the time the track is very level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi S1

Having seen the video and spoke to numerous drivers after the event, i would definately say that that Carnegie accident and many others was more due to the fact they had to run on rubbish tyres with NO grip, rather than the weather.

I wonder if so many accidents wouldn't of happened and the meeting not called off had they all been on avons!! For anyone who was at the Lydden Masters event last year as part of the RSS the weather was just as bad, (if not worse) the event was not called off and drivers running on Avons, did not have any accidents!
Ideal thing to do here is raise it with the MSA official for the BRDA, the tires were not fit for purpose. And were sold to you that they would preform under a certain set of circumstances, if therefore do not your are Legally able to try get your money back as a Consumer.

Dont forget when the BRDA reviews the rules and makes changes to tires it is committed to the MSA that all items said within the section have the highest of safety in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas
It's interesting that some of those who supported the control tyre are now having second thoughts. A lot of drivers clearly don't think the tyre works in the rain and if you're not allowed to modify it just what are you supposed to do?

Btw - I don't think anyone on here is criticising marshals who we all know do a fantastic job for the sport. We're just raising some questions about the BRDA's organisation of the meeting.
Just wait for pembrey when us irish go over on our Avons and lets see what happens if it gets wet

Old 5 Jun 2007, 13:23 (Ref:1929345)   #48
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pictures

Some pics from last race (and previous races) in Lydden can be found here.

If you like them in big resolution, please send pm.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 22:18 (Ref:1930713)   #49
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even as a spectator the cars were no where near as quick either in the wet or dry at Lydden, must be due to the tyres. Has anyone compared lap times from last year to this year?
Old 7 Jun 2007, 06:49 (Ref:1930929)   #50
winnie
Racer

winnie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Mel, i have no problems with Khumo, who i think are a good sponsor. The problem is with the BRDA deal with them that forces every body to buy there tyres. I dont know how much they are putting in, but the competitiors are funding there own sponsor via the back door.

Does any-one know how much they are paying the BRDA.