Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Sep 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3768539)   #176
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
For someone supposedly clued in, you should know he spun on fluids from the damage from turn one.
Clued in? Who me?? Nope sorry. But I am flattered.

I listen and take into consideration comments from some of the more "clued in" current and former professional drivers, who have mostly said Vettel's crash was due to him just being a little too eager on the go faster pedal. And the dripping coolant (which was dripping from the very back of the car onto a WET track anyway), had no effect on him losing control. The track was already WET. And Vettel was on INTERMEDIATE tyres for the WET conditions. As I said, the coolant was dripping from the very rear of the car anyway - as you can see in the photo below.

Adding to that Vettel took the wrong line out of T3 before he spun. Any half decent racing driver knows to stay off the racing line in wet conditions as it's got no grip, specially on cold tyres. But Vettel didn't. Have a look at the video below and look at the line Hamilton took compared to Vettel out of T3.

https://youtu.be/czHPM0UjLNc?t=3m1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I didn't see Ricciardo being called overrated for spinning on his own after he got damage from the incident with Verstappen in (I think) Hungary.
To read a comment like that from someone "clued in" is really disappointing. Let's see, I seem to remember the weather being bone DRY in Hungary. And RIC was on slicks. The tiniest bit of coolant onto a slick tyre in the dry and any driver is likely to loose control. Have a look at the photo below. Note the very shiny left rear tyre on Ricciardo's car, just before he spun out in Hungary.

Again, just in case you missed it. The weather was DRY, and Ricciardo was on slicks. Bit of a different situation I would think to Vettel who was on a WET track and with wet weather tyres (??). But then again, I'm not as "clued in" as you so.. no point continuing really.

Have a good day.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 11:58 (Ref:3768541)   #177
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
. And the dripping coolant (which was dripping from the very back of the car onto a WET track anyway), had no effect on him losing control. The track was already WET. And Vettel was on INTERMEDIATE tyres for the WET conditions. As I said, the coolant was dripping from the very rear of the car anyway - as you can see in the photo below.
Not suggesting you're wrong, but according to C4 the fluid was coming from his trashed left side pod. That would allow it to get onto his left rear tyre, which is commensurate with what happened. Obviously the fluid would run along underneath the car as well? If they use some form of non water based coolant in F1, some types are as dangerous as oil if they get on the track. Banned in some racing in the USA, I believe.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3768547)   #178
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not suggesting you're wrong, but according to C4 the fluid was coming from his trashed left side pod. That would allow it to get onto his left rear tyre, which is commensurate with what happened. Obviously the fluid would run along underneath the car as well? If they use some form of non water based coolant in F1, some types are as dangerous as oil if they get on the track. Banned in some racing in the USA, I believe.
Shhh.... He has an agenda to push.

To recap, there's a gaping hole in front of vettels rear tire, in roughly the same place as ricciardos. There is nothing in that pic that shows fluid coming from behind the tire. There is a line of something, could be fluid, could be a street line, appearing from directly behind vettels rear tire. But Vettel sucks and ricciardo doesn't, so....
Old 19 Sep 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3768551)   #179
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is fluid dripping from the rear of VET's car, that can be seen in the picture. But what seems to be ignored by certain posters is that the aerodynamic effects will collect fluids that did not hit the tyre and pull it towards the rear of the car.

So the very likely thing that happened is that fluid got on the tyre as well as was dripping from the rear of the car.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 12:56 (Ref:3768552)   #180
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
There is fluid dripping from the rear of VET's car, that can be seen in the picture. But what seems to be ignored by certain posters is that the aerodynamic effects will collect fluids that did not hit the tyre and pull it towards the rear of the car.

So the very likely thing that happened is that fluid got on the tyre as well as was dripping from the rear of the car.
Yep, viewed it from my phone at first, and now that I have seen it larger, I see the fluid in the back too. But that doesn't mean nothing is coming from the gaping hole in the same place as Ricciardo's, or that what you mentioned isn't also happening.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3768562)   #181
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And the dripping coolant (which was dripping from the very back of the car onto a WET track anyway), had no effect on him losing control.
In the image here you can see the fluid coming out of the radiator, and so will be deposited in front of the rear wheel.

The same fluid will also be swept to the rear of the car which was then visible coming from further rearward also.

Was the Ferrari depositing fluid in front of the rear wheel? - Yes
Did this cause Vettel to spin? - Possibly
Did anyone else get a snap loss of rear traction? - No

So I would suggest that it is highly likely (but not certain) that the leaking fluid contributed to the spin.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3768578)   #182
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exclusive: I just phoned Seb. He told me that he spun because of the shock wave created by Max, Fernando and Kimi colliding. It was so powerful he just couldn't stop going backwards after the impact.

So there we are, the spin had nothing to with the shredded sidepod, broken suspension, fluids from any exposed orifice or a heavy right foot.

Back in reality, does it really matter why Vettel spun? He'd had a clout off his teammate in the T1 chaos, his car was dramatically broken, and he crashed as a result. Or maybe not

Last edited by Greem; 19 Sep 2017 at 16:02.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3768609)   #183
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There are 6 GPs left, so I think another DNF from Hamilton plus another win for Vettel, would give Vettel a fairly comfortable points lead. I don't see that happening but you never know.
I confess I'm struggling to work out why I would want to see that happen, to be honest.......
Old 19 Sep 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3768613)   #184
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I confess I'm struggling to work out why I would want to see that happen, to be honest.......
I also said: Vettel has chastised himself. Hamilton has now got a 28 point lead. Even if he were to have a DNF in Malaysia and Vettel were to win, Hamilton would still be leading, all by 3 points.

If you are not a Vettel fan, then you wouldn't want to see it happen.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 19 Sep 2017 at 18:21.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3768615)   #185
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, that explains it........

I'd rather just see it go down to the wire at the last GP....
Old 20 Sep 2017, 00:39 (Ref:3768670)   #186
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Ah, that explains it........

I'd rather just see it go down to the wire at the last GP....
Me too, but I don't think that will happen. Vettel has a lot of ground to make up and needs a lot of luck.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 09:09 (Ref:3768751)   #187
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just one question about the incidents. there's people enough round the internet to point fingers in all directions.

what I've been wondering, since sunday, is why the drivers were happy to just let the cars roll on after the contact.

Sure, you could argue that the first incident, Max en Seb didn't have sufficient damage to want to stop, and Kimi had to much to do so, but still, it was weird.

The second spin on his own though, Seb seemed more concentrated on talking to his pits, than on having the car stop. It basically rolled backwards into traffic and across the track. Lucky it's mostly slow corners, and the drivers have plenty good reflexes, this could have created another incident. You'd think he'd stomp the brakes?

It seemed so silly to me, I started to actually think it might have been something wrong with the car that caused it to properly stop?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 09:27 (Ref:3768752)   #188
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
I have just one question about the incidents. there's people enough round the internet to point fingers in all directions.

what I've been wondering, since sunday, is why the drivers were happy to just let the cars roll on after the contact.

Sure, you could argue that the first incident, Max en Seb didn't have sufficient damage to want to stop, and Kimi had to much to do so, but still, it was weird.

The second spin on his own though, Seb seemed more concentrated on talking to his pits, than on having the car stop. It basically rolled backwards into traffic and across the track. Lucky it's mostly slow corners, and the drivers have plenty good reflexes, this could have created another incident. You'd think he'd stomp the brakes?

It seemed so silly to me, I started to actually think it might have been something wrong with the car that caused it to properly stop?
In Vettel's case, it seemed to me that he was backing up far enough to see enough track to know it was safe to turn back onto the track?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3768757)   #189
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is what I thought as well. Besides, that way he could get out of the way and protect (what was left of) the car.

Remember he saved his championship 2012 by going backwards and not stopping and spinning around immediately when he spun at the start in Brazil. So it is not something he has not done before.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3768787)   #190
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Does anyone remember the crash at the start of the 2003 German GP? Ralf just like Seb moved into a space that was occupied by two. In both cases, it was Kimi who was the most squeezed out
Old 21 Sep 2017, 22:16 (Ref:3769161)   #191
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In Vettel's case, it seemed to me that he was backing up far enough to see enough track to know it was safe to turn back onto the track?
I thought it might have been to try and get tbe race red flagged!
Old 21 Sep 2017, 23:13 (Ref:3769173)   #192
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I thought it might have been to try and get tbe race red flagged!
At the time, I thought that too.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 23:50 (Ref:3769176)   #193
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say that my thought was that he was allowing it to roll backwards as it was rolling away from the exit of the corner, allowing the other drivers more time to see and avoid him.

In terms of the spin that put him in that position, I've not seen anything to confirm it, but my thoughts at the time were that in addition to the leaking fluid onto the rear left tyre, was their damage to the wheel/drive shaft as well, that maybe broke under acceleration leaving all the power going to the right wheel, which may have helped the spin the car quicker.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 13:10 (Ref:3769253)   #194
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nigel Roebuck (Autosport) has an opinion, now there's a guy that has seen it all before
Old 22 Sep 2017, 23:47 (Ref:3769365)   #195
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's only too bad he plies his trade for a shite magazine.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 00:17 (Ref:3769367)   #196
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Anyone read the reports in the Italian press in the last few days? Almost all of the blame going towards Vettel and Ferrari for the "racing incident". Yes that's right, the Italian press is blaming the Italian team and it's Italian driver. Sacrilegious, but true.

La Gazzetta dello Sport, Italy's leading sport news, had this to say on Vettel (translated):
Quote:

Within hours of the race, the criticism against him was unanimous: If you're playing the World Cup, if you start skating (and so you know that from behind, right or left, arrive much faster than you) you should immediately think of a plan B : what is go unscathed in the first corner and especially do this in front of Lewis Hamilton. Everything else, immediately, should not count more. Should no longer count Verstappen, should no longer count where he chose to leave, it must only count where is Lewis Hamilton. Instead Seb, legitimately, but today we can say, even recklessly when you have less speed, went left to look for trouble, only thinking to cover Verstappen, only thinking to be first to the first corner. Pity that there there was even Kimi. And then, after Saturday's masterpiece, why didn't he make like Raikkonen? If he succeeded, and a 4 time world champion can expect this, today would be just sweet talk. Instead, even thinking about the stunt, dish today Baku, reasonable, 38 points. From here in Abu Dhabi, Vettel will be only that of Saturday. It can't be that on Sunday the finalizer that Ferrari wants between now and 2020.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/18-...67155275.shtml

Corriere dello Sport and Tuttosport, two of Italy's other leading news media, have also pointed the blame at Vettel and Ferrari as a team. Even asking how come Vettel was not at least reprimanded for his actions. Which is a good question.

And yet, we have Ferrari's response on twitter below.

What a load of prancing horse ****!

To which, the F1 world responded angrily. A couple of guys in the paddock had this to say:

http://news.sky.com/story/singapore-...storm-11041663

Still don't understand how and why Vettel escaped with not even a reprimand for his actions! I can imagine anyone else in his place would not have escaped with no penalty whatsoever. First Baku, and now this.

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Sep 2017 at 06:05. Reason: Auto censor dodge. There is reason for the auto censor. No other action.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3769394)   #197
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Anyone read the reports in the Italian press in the last few days? Almost all of the blame going towards Vettel and Ferrari for the "racing incident". Yes that's right, the Italian press is blaming the Italian team and it's Italian driver. Sacrilegious, but true.

La Gazzetta dello Sport, Italy's leading sport news, had this to say on Vettel (translated):

Corriere dello Sport and Tuttosport, two of Italy's other leading news media, have also pointed the blame at Vettel and Ferrari as a team. Even asking how come Vettel was not at least reprimanded for his actions. Which is a good question.

To which, the F1 world responded angrily. A couple of guys in the paddock had this to say:

Still don't understand how and why Vettel escaped with not even a reprimand for his actions! I can imagine anyone else in his place would not have escaped with no penalty whatsoever. First Baku, and now this.
I know Seb's pretty good with the language now, but when did he change nationality?
Old 23 Sep 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3769421)   #198
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:

Old 23 Sep 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3769425)   #199
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how boring is all of this, it was just a crash!!!
Old 23 Sep 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3769434)   #200
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Still don't understand how and why Vettel escaped with not even a reprimand for his actions!
Because the stewards* decided no further action was required; the majority of the rest of the world accepted that and moved on.

*who under the monitoring and control of the officials ensure the event is run in accordance with FIA regulations