Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Dec 2012, 02:25 (Ref:3174424)   #1
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BMW confirms Z4 GTE for American Le Mans Series

I'm sure this news are buried in some other thread but I think it deserve it own thread with so many questions ahead.

http://www.planetlemans.com/2012/12/...le+Feedfetcher

Will RLL continue with BMW & ALMS?

What will the specs be?

Cheers

Last edited by pederb; 3 Dec 2012 at 02:35.
Old 3 Dec 2012, 02:30 (Ref:3174425)   #2
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RLL will no doubt continue their relationship with BMW and race the Z4 in the US for them.
Old 3 Dec 2012, 02:31 (Ref:3174426)   #3
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Press release from BMW says RLL will be the ALMS team.

Now I can't find the press release ... so i could be wrong.

Doesn't specify RLL

Last edited by Maelochs; 3 Dec 2012 at 02:42.
Old 3 Dec 2012, 03:10 (Ref:3174432)   #4
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Now I can't find the press release ...
http://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/new.../wittmann.html
Old 3 Dec 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3174649)   #5
Simonfield
Rookie

England
Haverhill, Suffolk, UK
Simonfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very, Very curious, considering the uncertainty about the rules that will follow the upcoming Grandam/ALMS merger. hope they keep GTE, ALMS really shows the strength of that class..
Old 3 Dec 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3174666)   #6
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If BMW were as uncertain about those things as we are, then yes, it'd be a very curious decision. But ofcourse there's a good chance that BMW knows a lot more about the way different series and rulesets will be developing than we do!
Old 3 Dec 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3174765)   #7
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Press release from BMW says RLL will be the ALMS team.

Now I can't find the press release ... so i could be wrong.

Doesn't specify RLL
This one from the ALMS certainly implies it!

http://www.alms.com/articles/bmw-mov...s-championship

L.P.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 01:24 (Ref:3174817)   #8
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Saw that. However, I aspire to a higher level of accuracy and credibility than ALMS.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 01:31 (Ref:3174821)   #9
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
This one from the ALMS certainly implies it!

http://www.alms.com/articles/bmw-mov...s-championship

L.P.
Implies? They straight out say it!

Curious there has been no word from RLL on this...
Old 4 Dec 2012, 01:50 (Ref:3174828)   #10
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Implies? They straight out say it!

Curious there has been no word from RLL on this...
The previous post is why I phrased it as I did, one can never give any creed to something from the ALMS you know.

L.P.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 03:19 (Ref:3174843)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Make them pull 500 hp out of the 3L dammit!
Old 4 Dec 2012, 04:45 (Ref:3174855)   #12
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Lotus should think about putting a bigger motor in the Evora GTE. Didn't the original GT3 have a Toyota V8 in it.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 06:47 (Ref:3174874)   #13
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Lotus should think about putting a bigger motor in the Evora GTE. Didn't the original GT3 have a Toyota V8 in it.
The 2005 Exige GT3 had a supercharged 4 pot - There hasn't been an Evora GT3
Old 4 Dec 2012, 06:59 (Ref:3174880)   #14
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not the Radical Power 3L V8? It chucks out 500hp so would be good for the Evora....

On topic, BMW could always just twin turbo the I6.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 07:39 (Ref:3174885)   #15
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It'd probably be less expensive to make a run of V8 powered Z4 roadcars.

They make a limited edition run say of 500 cars and every one of them would be sold rather quick regardless of price. Its a shame they havent done this yet.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 14:10 (Ref:3175019)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post

That's what I'm saying... The rules are written so that the production turbos must be used and that is why no one runs FI. If the rulesmakers are going to be forward thinking, this needs to be revised to be more inclusive of FI.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3175108)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
It'd probably be less expensive to make a run of V8 powered Z4 roadcars.

They make a limited edition run say of 500 cars and every one of them would be sold rather quick regardless of price. Its a shame they havent done this yet.
To my surprise.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3175120)   #18
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's what I'm saying... The rules are written so that the production turbos must be used and that is why no one runs FI. If the rulesmakers are going to be forward thinking, this needs to be revised to be more inclusive of FI.
GTE allow exemptions to any of its 'rules'. Thats how Viper is 8 litre
Old 4 Dec 2012, 22:39 (Ref:3175164)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Great news! Let's hope that they return to the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Hell yes!
Old 4 Dec 2012, 23:56 (Ref:3175183)   #20
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/spor...z4-321569.html
An interesting defense on why the ALMS accepted the Z4 GTE even with the V8.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 01:38 (Ref:3175205)   #21
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Basically saying there won't be a V8 Z4 on the street, at least not for racing it.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 02:03 (Ref:3175219)   #22
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
Right, and it is great that it is allowed. The rules should be written so that it is not a waiver for the Viper, but turbos are the future... or back to the future.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 02:51 (Ref:3175231)   #23
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
That was a mistake in the rules in my opinion. They used to allow such engines, and they should rectify that this off season. At least the Viper runs a V10 on the street. BMW will not offer a V8 in the Z4, effectively making it a silhouette car.

It is a real shame that they chose not to run the I6 TT. I'd far prefer that be BoP'd into being competitive over this solution.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 5 Dec 2012 at 02:57.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 03:11 (Ref:3175234)   #24
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
That was a mistake in the rules in my opinion. They used to allow such engines, and they should rectify that this off season. At least the Viper runs a V10 on the street. BMW will not offer a V8 in the Z4, effectively making it a silhouette car.

It is a real shame that they chose not to run the I6 TT. I'd far prefer that be BoP'd into being competitive over this solution.
Totally agree. That is a much more poignant way to say it.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 03:17 (Ref:3175236)   #25
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
BMW will not offer a V8 in the Z4, effectively making it a silhouette car.
A car running a production based frame, transmission, suspension is a silhouette car? So the C6.R Vette is a sihouette car then too I guess. That's a little extreme.