Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Oct 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2976957)   #26
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
thats true, but frank spent most of his career as an open wheeler, so you can hardly claim him as one of the best tin top racers to come out of australia
Franks greatest success in the UK and Europe came late later in his career as a tin top driver rather than in single seaters where he was a fill in or drove for private more often than works teams.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2977026)   #27
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Please no.

One Almost Anything Goes Novelty Race a year is enough...
Once the American promoters get stuff like this into their heads, it's tough to extract it again.

It's a pity the France family choose DTM to 'Americanise' rather than V8's. You could then have drivers who understand the demands of the V8 discipline ready for an annual Australian-American clash -- perhaps as a non-championship cash bounty event.

Last edited by Paradise City; 26 Oct 2011 at 11:22.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2977040)   #28
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oran Park Forever View Post
I think that would be the best thing they can do! Only this time also grab drivers from Nascar (if they have a free weekend, or night race)........& relax the 'drive thru' penalties for bump & run. Result would be a spectacle the locals would go nuts for. Kinda like IROC on acid!
This, a hundred times this - if they were able to have NASCAR drivers join the fun it would in an instant guarantee increased interest. I know quite a few NASCAR drivers are quite interested in the V8 SuperCars as well - Dale Earnhardt Jr., for example, took a holiday trip to Australia and the V8 SuperCars event at Phillip Island in 2007.

As for turning into a crash fest, I wouldn't worry too much as the top Sprint Cup drivers these days are rather respectable road course drivers.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2977422)   #29
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
John Harvey in the Jane XU1 Sports Sedan
I remember the Torana that John Harvey was driving, I believe it had a 4.4 litre Repco V8..........I wonder what happened to it.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2977435)   #30
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I remember the Torana that John Harvey was driving, I believe it had a 4.4 litre Repco V8..........I wonder what happened to it.
The Torana is in the hands of Willie Van Wersch.....very much modified from the Jane/Harvey days. Ironically it was Frank Gardner who chopped it up & applied his own theories to chassis development when he drove briefly for Bob Jane's team.
Then numerous Sports Sedan drivers owned it with further mods made, so it's a 'long way from home' so to speak.

The engine is also privately owned somewhere & word is they won't part with it.

Old 26 Oct 2011, 23:31 (Ref:2977438)   #31
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
This, a hundred times this - if they were able to have NASCAR drivers join the fun it would in an instant guarantee increased interest. I know quite a few NASCAR drivers are quite interested in the V8 SuperCars as well - Dale Earnhardt Jr., for example, took a holiday trip to Australia and the V8 SuperCars event at Phillip Island in 2007.

As for turning into a crash fest, I wouldn't worry too much as the top Sprint Cup drivers these days are rather respectable road course drivers.
Thanks for adding your vote! Finally someone else who sees the 'bigger picture'........just like Paul Morris!

Old 27 Oct 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2977538)   #32
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post

Anyone who can drive a beast like a stock car, especially around a road course, has my respect.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2987422)   #33
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...ended-at-cota/
Quote:
Work on the Circuit of the Americas in Austin has been stopped indefinitely, the company behind the USGP venue has confirmed.

A statement says that the stoppage is pending a contract with Bernie Ecclestone being completed.

It’s understood that Ecclestone offered a new contract to COTA in the light of a dispute between the organization and Austin promoter Tavo Hellmund, who holds the original contract for the event.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 02:38 (Ref:2987505)   #34
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know how to fix the Texas problem, Cochrane, Eddlestone and Moto GP get together and fund it themselves, too easy.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 05:14 (Ref:2987535)   #35
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The facts are the Austin F1GP and MotoGP will not be happening and the future of the circuit is in real doubt as a consequence.
Where to for this round now ?
Hopefully another US track will take it's place if the Austin track doesn't get built, or ends up as a much lower spec facility.
I don't know if any other tracks would have the interest in paying for the V8 circus to come to town ?
Old 17 Nov 2011, 05:19 (Ref:2987537)   #36
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
The facts are the Austin F1GP and MotoGP will not be happening and the future of the circuit is in real doubt as a consequence.
Hopefully another US track will take it's place if the Austin track doesn't get built, or ends up as a much lower spec facility.
Laguna Seca please.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 06:24 (Ref:2987551)   #37
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
I don't know if any other tracks would have the interest in paying for the V8 circus to come to town ?
Ah, no those aren't the facts. The circuit have approx two weeks to provide the financial guarantees that Bernie wants - if they do that, all may well be good.

No doubt at all that the place is on very shaky ground right now but it ain't over yet.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2987564)   #38
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Laguna Seca please.
Absolutely.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2987581)   #39
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Laguna Seca please.
Road America.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2987616)   #40
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone except me admire the Texas State Financial guru's stance that she won't commit ANY state funds to the F1 race until AFTER the affects of the race have been measured?????

Maybe she could get a job on the Hamilton Council.

Or Melbourne
Or Homebush
Or the Gold Coast

From Speed

Quote:
She also says that money would only be paid out after the first race if the economic impact could be demonstrated.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 17 Nov 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2987637)   #41
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Laguna Seca please.
Here here.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2987681)   #42
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Ah, no those aren't the facts. The circuit have approx two weeks to provide the financial guarantees that Bernie wants - if they do that, all may well be good.

No doubt at all that the place is on very shaky ground right now but it ain't over yet.
Yes, the circuit has 2 weeks to do that for the F1 race, but who was the V8 contract with?

As I understand, that was with Hellmund, the same man who has been given the boot by Bernie.

I'd say the contract between V8SA and Tavo Hellmund for the race has the same value as the one he had with Bernie for F1!
Old 17 Nov 2011, 23:00 (Ref:2987985)   #43
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspence View Post
Yes, the circuit has 2 weeks to do that for the F1 race, but who was the V8 contract with?

As I understand, that was with Hellmund, the same man who has been given the boot by Bernie.

I'd say the contract between V8SA and Tavo Hellmund for the race has the same value as the one he had with Bernie for F1!
You could be right or Tavo could be planning to hand over his contracts for MotoGP and V8s to the circuit too - or they could be getting something settled between them all.

Can't see anything re the V8 race (or not) getting resolved till the F1 race question is sorted. Once that happens, more may start to emerge.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 02:52 (Ref:2989408)   #44
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I know how to fix the Texas problem, Cochrane, Eddlestone and Moto GP get together and fund it themselves, too easy.
Dr Jeffry Eddlestone? Why not Bernie?
Old 7 Dec 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2996723)   #45
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Construction re-starts at Austin, Bernie has been paid his deposit and US Grand Prix remains on the final ratified F1 Calendar for 2012:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96681
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96675