Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 6 Sep 2007, 03:01 (Ref:2004805)   #1
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YOUR SAY: Electronic Stability Control

I'm doing a univeristy piece on stability control in cars and am interested in hearing your thoughts, opinions or stories.

For me personally there was one situation that confirmed stability control as a good thing.

Quote:
I was probably going too fast.
It was late at night, on a road I’d driven every day for years, with a car that was capable of far more than I was asking of it. By the time I saw gravel spilled across the surface I had run out of options.
Afraid of destabilising the car halfway around a quick corner, I didn’t slam the brakes.
The car hit the gravel and I felt the rear start to swing around,
It was time to make a decision.
I could counter-steer and catch the slide on my own, or trust the car’s Electronic Stability Control to do the job.
I didn’t move the steering wheel or touch the brakes, but sat mesmerised as the car sorted itself out with a wink of yellow light from the dashboard.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 05:23 (Ref:2009028)   #2
pplatersgirl
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
pplatersgirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You bludger!

Do your own assignment instead of getting the boys to do it for you!

Hehehe...
Old 11 Sep 2007, 09:01 (Ref:2009156)   #3
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moulton

Have a look at Moultons pioneering work....
Old 11 Sep 2007, 11:46 (Ref:2009272)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No idea, but a human version for after a few beers would be useful.......
Old 18 Sep 2007, 10:17 (Ref:2016667)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aren't they called taxi drivers Ayse?

Electronic stability control is definitely A Good Thing. It helps keep drivers who think they're better than they are on the road. It also helps in dealing with the unexpected.

However the best systems have an off button.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2611040)   #6
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Aren't they called taxi drivers Ayse?

Electronic stability control is definitely A Good Thing. It helps keep drivers who think they're better than they are on the road. It also helps in dealing with the unexpected.

However the best systems have an off button.
yes your right covers up bad driving, and bad drivers!!
hence the poor standard on roads today, with cars fitted with ESC, ABS, etc
Old 10 Jan 2010, 22:43 (Ref:2611270)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Disagree. There's an equally poor standard in cars without it.

It's useless in snow. No fun at all...
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:53 (Ref:2611302)   #8
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm fine with it as long as you can turn it off.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2611576)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Traction control actually stops you getting along at a sensible speed in the snow IMHO.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Jan 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2611607)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Compared to the speed I can manage uphill in snow without it (0mph) it's a benefit. At all other times I'd agree with you.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 14:28 (Ref:2611649)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Traction control actually stops you getting along at a sensible speed in the snow IMHO.

Totally agree Gordon,wet or snow,mine gets turned off as soon as I get into the car!
Old 11 Jan 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2611789)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The entrance to my workshop is uphill and when the conditions are bad the traction control on the "posh motors" stops you getting a decent run at it. OK I know that you can switch most of them off, but having worked in the trade since 1962 I have found (the hard way) not to play about with knobs n switches in customers cars as they can cost you money !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !