Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Mar 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3809135)   #226
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman View Post
I rarely quibble with Goodwood grids because they are so good but the Hawthorne Trophy was pretty odd. I couldn't work out the rationale at all. If it was for mid-50s Formula Libre and Grand Prix cars what was a pre-war Riley ERA and a 1960 Ferrari Dino doing in it? Was it mean to be cars associated with Hawthorne and if so, what was the relevance of the Kurtis? All lovely cars on their own but it seemed a bit of a cobbled together grid.
Do you mean Hawthorn?
Old 19 Mar 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3809140)   #227
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter's incident was the headline and replay for the highlights of the race on the you tube channel as you probably all know.

A heck of a way to get into the historic video record though, Peter.

Still, some notable names in the paint swapping session.

The very fast starting Capri from behind on your left made it 4 abreast and with both Capris seemingly intent on occupying the racing line into T1 it always looked like a challenge.

Hopefully the damage is not too great and I assume that you are feeling OK based on your report in earlier.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3809180)   #228
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shouldn't the Gp 1 sprint race have been stopped and restarted over a sensible time? One of the more popular races for the spectators (who pay a LOT for spectating at GD) as evidenced by the influx of people in to the Woodcote stand and then it is reduced to a paltry 3 green laps.

It does seem to take a long while to clear up at Goodwood, compared to say Brands. Is that just my impression? Maybe some of our marshals (what heroes they were) would comment. Not to mention the long gaps between races.

I expect it is to give time to buy double price burgers and coffee....
Old 20 Mar 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3809294)   #229
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
'Incidents' at Goodwood are either used as advertising for the thrills, spills and excitement of motorsportort, or quickly deleted, swept under the carpet and a different story written in perpetuity and published to members to remember the 'correct' outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Peter's incident was the headline and replay for the highlights of the race on the you tube channel as you probably all know.

A heck of a way to get into the historic video record though, Peter.

Still, some notable names in the paint swapping session.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 09:03 (Ref:3809312)   #230
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd just like to praise the circuit staff who not only had to deal with the general public but stood out in that weather for many hours each day. And everyone one I spoke to was polite and happy to assist where necessary.

I'll post something in Marshals later
Old 20 Mar 2018, 09:06 (Ref:3809313)   #231
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'd just like to praise the circuit staff who not only had to deal with the general public but stood out in that weather for many hours each day. And everyone one I spoke to was polite and happy to assist where necessary.

Well said, hardy souls out in conditions that would normally be more associated with the Monte Carlo or 1000 Lakes Rallies!!

I'll message you in a bit re Rover.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3809316)   #232
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Yep well said Pete. Also well done Goodwood. Its a great event. Lots to do for everyone.Beer at 7.30 in the morning. Not for me but we had a great steak sandwich Saturday dinnertime.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3809395)   #233
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post
A Goodwood mm related question for you guys.

What is the HTP P12 41K infringement please.
Certainly a specification related non-compliance with brakes here and with Appendix K in mind.

See, this is actually showing what papers are meant for, not just printed to sell cars
Old 20 Mar 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3809414)   #234
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Incident

Peter is ok with me posting this, the moment of impact. The image is copyright www.retro-speed.co.uk and only made available by the author for this single use.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1126.JPG  
Old 20 Mar 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3809416)   #235
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*sob*
Old 20 Mar 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3809424)   #236
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I appreciate that Peter's crash is in itself not amusing at all. I am relieved to know that he and Patrick are OK in body, if not quite in soul. But as others have said, the cars can be repaired, although knowing that large sums have been invested in the Rover cannot make it easy for Peter.

However, looking at the picture posted by Peter Baker, it raised a smile looking at the actions of the spectators right in front of the impact. There is the old boy on the left who obviously believes that just leaning back a bit will keep him out of harms way, whilst directly in front the chap with the mobile phone seems to only be concerned with getting that photo.

Then on the right we have the guy who must seriously think that the wooden top rail will save him, because he appears to be holding on to it with all his might. Meantime, his pal wearing the hood is readying himself to box the car if it should get near him.

Don't ask me what I would have done, because I haven't a clue. And please forgive me, Peter, for making light of the photo.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3809427)   #237
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Again Peter, I apologise in advance for making light of a nasty ‘off’, but was wondering if any of the extensive daffodil display was obliterated during the impact......

Was there any mention of penalties in the pre-meeting briefing for damaging the spring bulbs?

Old 20 Mar 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3809428)   #238
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I was thinking similar when I saw it. Thanks for posting it Peter.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3809431)   #239
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
The bloke taking the photo must have balls of steel as it looks like that loose Tyre is heading straight for him. Great photo for all the wrong reasons. I was so looking forward to racing with Peter at Donington.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3809470)   #240
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure what's worse, being a helpless passenger or watching someone else smash your pride and joy. No one got hurt, is the important bit.

as Delta said to me . . Man made It, man can mend it. Took me a while to appreciate that, but as I saw some light at the end of the tunnel . . . It's a painful process however. I had to sell a Lambretta on the way, which still grates.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 21:43 (Ref:3809496)   #241
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I appreciate that Peter's crash is in itself not amusing at all. I am relieved to know that he and Patrick are OK in body, if not quite in soul. But as others have said, the cars can be repaired, although knowing that large sums have been invested in the Rover cannot make it easy for Peter.

However, looking at the picture posted by Peter Baker, it raised a smile looking at the actions of the spectators right in front of the impact. There is the old boy on the left who obviously believes that just leaning back a bit will keep him out of harms way, whilst directly in front the chap with the mobile phone seems to only be concerned with getting that photo.

Then on the right we have the guy who must seriously think that the wooden top rail will save him, because he appears to be holding on to it with all his might. Meantime, his pal wearing the hood is readying himself to box the car if it should get near him.

Don't ask me what I would have done, because I haven't a clue. And please forgive me, Peter, for making light of the photo.
One wonders if the spectators were too cold to respond quickly - if at all.

That said photographic angles, especially at a long range, can give a rather different impression of distance and direction than occurred.

From memory the video feed looked less threatening as far as the spectators were likely to be concerned. But that too could be misleading.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 21:52 (Ref:3809498)   #242
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Again Peter, I apologise in advance for making light of a nasty ‘off’, but was wondering if any of the extensive daffodil display was obliterated during the impact......

Was there any mention of penalties in the pre-meeting briefing for damaging the spring bulbs?

Well - when we've done the rally at Goodwood in February we have been specifically told to "keep off the daffodils"......

Hope the damage isn't too bad Peter and that the car is back to full health soon.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3809505)   #243
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman View Post
I rarely quibble with Goodwood grids because they are so good but the Hawthorne Trophy was pretty odd. I couldn't work out the rationale at all. If it was for mid-50s Formula Libre and Grand Prix cars what was a pre-war Riley ERA and a 1960 Ferrari Dino doing in it? Was it mean to be cars associated with Hawthorne and if so, what was the relevance of the Kurtis? All lovely cars on their own but it seemed a bit of a cobbled together grid.
That actual Kurtis ran at Monza in 1958, a race in which Hawthorn took part, so it has a link to Hawthorn.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3809506)   #244
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Am aware Geraint has some expensive plans that doesn’t allow him to keep Kurtis.
Why it hasn’t sold totally beats me as you cannot get the performance anywhere else for the dosh he was lookingg for.Cant be beaten for smiles per quid!
Old 21 Mar 2018, 07:29 (Ref:3809542)   #245
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"There is the old boy on the left who obviously believes that just leaning back a bit will keep him out of harms way," (Mr. Harte)

Well as we are looking on the 'sunny side' of Peter's shunt, it seems to me that the chap in question is probably hoping the flying tyre will clump his wife standing behind him.

Hope the damage is not too severe, Peter, Goodwood is an unforgiving place.

Kind regards,

Bob.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 07:45 (Ref:3809543)   #246
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well it is more severe than originally thought so I don't expect it back on track for a while. But it will be back.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 08:00 (Ref:3809548)   #247
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Am aware Geraint has some expensive plans that doesn’t allow him to keep Kurtis.
Why it hasn’t sold totally beats me as you cannot get the performance anywhere else for the dosh he was lookingg for.Cant be beaten for smiles per quid!
John

I have sold the white Kurtis 500S Sports Car. It has gone back to the US. It was very cheap for the performance you get. It was a real handful to drive - brutal is the best word to describe it.

The Kurtis 500C Indy car that I ran at the members meeting (well quali + the green flag lap) is staying with me for the foreseeable future. It has a great history and I have got it to the point that I can run it on my own at a meeting. You cant say that about many single seaters. It is great fun to drive with a nice roomy cockpit to accommodate "adult" sized drivers

I have sold a couple of other bits and bobs too, and am trying to resist the temptation to replace them.......although I did buy an ex Kuhmo Cup BMW E36 M3 the other day!

Geraint
Old 21 Mar 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3809647)   #248
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't realise that Goodwood pushed the 'house' concept as far as wearing school teacher gowns at the prize giving:

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-...me-out-on-top/

Good event but is there a cringe emoji?
Old 21 Mar 2018, 17:01 (Ref:3809652)   #249
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I didn't realise that Goodwood pushed the 'house' concept as far as wearing school teacher gowns at the prize giving:

Good event but is there a cringe emoji?
Yes, could do with one in my opinion!

Motorsport News confirms that Capri #35 was excluded from GMT race 2 for technical infringement. When suggested many posts back that it was a “brightly coloured” Capri, I immediately thought- that could be any of them! One of the joys of looking at that grid is the colour schemes, some very iconic.....
Old 21 Mar 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3809653)   #250
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It was Skid Scarborough. He got a call at 11am on Friday asking if he'd like to enter. He had problems with the homologated brakes and thus stuck the modified set on. Bit of a shame that they should ping him when there are RS 2000s running Cosworth blocks allegedly.