Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Feb 2006, 23:32 (Ref:1527522)   #151
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Rob I'm still not sure, depends if I can get the car finished that also depends if I get a job or not!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 05:29 (Ref:1527633)   #152
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rob,

You might try to contact Joe Ward through Cambridge Motorsport.

Also see your pm's.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 05:56 (Ref:1527639)   #153
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure where the Senator went, and yes, I've heard that those two were being rebuilt.

I contacted Nigel Garrett, and he's not up for it - as his was a "Modified Saloon". Shame, because it's a darned quick Rover.

As for the Starlets, the last I remember of Stuart Moreton's empress built carbon fibre panelled version was it being for sale as a rolling shell, and had been used in the Scottish series based at Knockhill. Nathans is up for sale as he's heading down under.

Does Paul Soames still have his Mini? If so, are you able to contact him?
Old 21 Feb 2006, 05:57 (Ref:1527641)   #154
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Rob I'm still not sure, depends if I can get the car finished that also depends if I get a job or not!
Stop loafing around on ten-tenths and get the car fixed!! (that's what people tell me!).
Old 21 Feb 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1528130)   #155
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Stop loafing around on ten-tenths and get the car fixed!! (that's what people tell me!).

I am not loafing! I am still in Bedfordshire until the end of March! My car is at home in Scotland!

When I go home I get on with it! After 4 days, it was stripped down! Now that I have quit my course at uni the progress should get quicker, unless I get a job!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1528137)   #156
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Don't quit Uni for ruddy motor racing, thats madness! Unlike Uni you can always do it later in life look at me I am 57 and still having a go.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 16:50 (Ref:1528139)   #157
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Don't quit Uni for ruddy motor racing, thats madness! Unlike Uni you can always do it later in life look at me I am 57 and still having a go.

I am completing the lectures, just not doing the group project or a thesis! I already have a degree, just 1 that isnt compatible with this Masters I have quit!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1528195)   #158
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thats alright then we don't want you over qualified:-)
Old 21 Feb 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1528298)   #159
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
I am not loafing! I am still in Bedfordshire until the end of March! My car is at home in Scotland!

When I go home I get on with it! After 4 days, it was stripped down! Now that I have quit my course at uni the progress should get quicker, unless I get a job!
Super Aguri are still recruiting, and if you get the chance of a job in F1, take it, your car will wait!!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1528317)   #160
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Dillon and Les Lyons could probably both be contacted through the CTCRC (Stacy Vickers and Chris Griffin both post on 10-tenths), as that's where they were out to play last year. I think Steve's probably still got the hospitality unit keys!

Wasn't Gary's (Carrera) BX originally a thundersaloon?

My main memory of the thundersaloons were the hordes of starlets. Seems that a lot came over from hot rods, then moved on to eurocar?
Old 21 Feb 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1528325)   #161
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Surely not, looked like a simple modified road car to me.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1528397)   #162
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Super Aguri are still recruiting, and if you get the chance of a job in F1, take it, your car will wait!!

Id rather stick to the non-formula 1 stuff at the moment, till all my friends get jobs! Most companies wont want me because I didnt finish the course!

Do you know where the Super Aguri adverts are? Not on their website or on Autosport.com

It was John Muir who owned the Blue n Green starlet that raced at Knockhill, with a cosworth engine in it, 2 sports n saloons championship wins! Now for sale for next to nothing with no engine!
Old 23 Feb 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1530139)   #163
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Did I kill the conversation??
Old 23 Feb 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1530150)   #164
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably not. Some are working on their cars I guess.

But you never know, they may come back to hunt you.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1530822)   #165
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
No, you didn't kill the conversation. I'm a little busy at the moment, work's gone potty in a different area, and I don't have time for the forum like I used to.

Just contact Super Aguri, tell them what you're skilled at, and go from there.

In my experience, they like people who take the initiative when looking for work.

Worked for me in the past.

Teej, regarding your comments, I'll have to PM Stacy to see if he can contact them on my behalf. I asked Nigel Garrett, but he wasn't up for it.

Eddy, I wasn't drinking beer. Honest.

Car is as makes no odds, ready. No leaks (only the driver!)

Rob.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1530858)   #166
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by teej
Steve Dillon and Les Lyons could probably both be contacted through the CTCRC (Stacy Vickers and Chris Griffin both post on 10-tenths), as that's where they were out to play last year. I think Steve's probably still got the hospitality unit keys!

Not exactly a thundersaloon but it did run in the championship in '93. Usually qualified between 24th -28th. Never finished outside the top ten apart from 1 dnf at Combe. Easy money!

I'll email Steve Dillon. Paul Soames works down the road I'll pop in and have a chat.

Last edited by John Turner; 24 Feb 2006 at 19:51. Reason: Just to enclose quote!
Old 27 Feb 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1532691)   #167
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Top man, many thanks.

Keep me informed.

Once we hit critical mass - about 25 confirmed cars, rather than speculative, I think it may be possible to make some progress.

Rob.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1533248)   #168
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera

Not exactly a thundersaloon but it did run in the championship in '93. Usually qualified between 24th -28th. Never finished outside the top ten apart from 1 dnf at Combe. Easy money!
If this is the car I'm thinking of, I have a feeling it was built around the 91 - 94 BTCC spec'. There was even an intention of it appearing in a BTCC race had the budget become available...
MG Metro #35 - Proud Class A Series Winner CSCC Tin Tops 2006
Old 28 Feb 2006, 23:30 (Ref:1533556)   #169
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
I know its off topic but I NEED A JOB!

And..... for those rugby fans out there 18-12!
Old 1 Mar 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1533771)   #170
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
O.K, and we really hope you get one, but, as you say, this is way off topic, so let's leave it at that now, please!
Old 26 Mar 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1561179)   #171
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
She's Long Gone......

Quote:
Here's an invitation for owners of cars fitting this bill:

After discussions with Rockingham, and the BRSCC, I am trying to find/attract as many of this sort of car as possible (that still exist!) to come out and play!!

At the moment, it's looking like the best date will be the first weekend in August, as part of a Thunder Sunday meeting with the SCSA.

The cars we want are:

Cars that ran in the 1970's Super Saloons (Superloons),

Special Saloons from the 70's, like Gerry "Swish" Taylor's Anglia,

Thundersaloons from the "original" two-driver era (not the later Class "C" Supertourers).

Anything that fits in with that "genre" of car, ie: Take a Mk1/Mk2 Capri and fit a GA, or a V8. Take a Sierra and fit a nice big V8 (in the front!). Big Rover's, etc...

This will be a one-off race (unless you want more!!!), there may be a pot or two - which could be raced for again.

I am going to consult some other "people in positions of importance" to suggest what the trophy could be called.

The racing should be in the spirit of "Only Here for the Beer".

I have three/four cars of the "big banger" variety on the list, and I'm fairly sure I can attract some other "well known" cars out of the woodwork.

So where are you all! Stand up and be counted.

As Lord Horatio Herbert Kitchener said "Your Country Needs YOU"

PM Me if you are interested, or you know where a car is laguishing just pining to burst back into life.....

Rob.
Hi Rob. Even though the old Swish Car is long gone....could I be part of the day? In whatever capacity....perhaps you could put me up on a plinth with a sign "CAUTION THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU CARRY ON RACING" Ha,Ha. Seriously though, I should like to come along. Gerry.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1561204)   #172
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy
special saloon car races started in the late 1960s 68/69 .i think the theory was modified road cars .then people like doc merfield started putting V8S in cortinas and the like (this car used to do a 170mph ) buy 73 things really started to get silly the turner 5.0 skoda ,big bertha, boss capri etc these cars were still very modified road cars not silhouette type cars .the first sihouette cars started to appear in around 1974 spaced framed minis , imps around this time john maqurie started producing his spaced framed cars which won just about every championship they was to win ,in one year( late 1970s) a maquire car won every special saloon championship in the country .this is the type of car people think of when thinking of special saloons.buy the 1980s 95% of a s/s grids would of been sihouette cars (ie not a modified road car) which in the end killed s/s in 1993
I was racing Special Saloons in 1966! So it started a little earlier than 68. I was up against people like Laurie Hickman (Anglia) and several mini's Doug Griffiths for one. I have some nice pic's featuring very bland cars No adverts at all! gerry.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1561304)   #173
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Come to Snett next Sunday for some Historic racing with the CTRCC Gerry I will be there (2 races) and there will be some good action to be had I reckon.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1561431)   #174
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gerry were they actually called special saloons in 1966 ,i thought they were just saloon car races
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1561503)   #175
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy
gerry were they actually called special saloons in 1966 ,i thought they were just saloon car races
I'm looking it up this evening , and will let you know. Did you get my note ref Special Saloon pic's? Gerry.