Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Jun 2003, 23:37 (Ref:623424)   #1
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GrandAm Gts

Here is an interview with Mark Raffauf. He seems to want to turn grandams gt classes into something similar to all japan gt.
http://www.motorsport.com/magazine/f...&D=2003-06-02#
Old 6 Jun 2003, 23:55 (Ref:623439)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'If you look at the FIA/ACO situation, it's pretty bleak actually, because if you have an unlimited checkbook, what can you buy? The Porsche GT3R or a Ferrari 360GT. That's it. '

He seems to ignore the fact the GT class has only been around since about 1999 with Porsche having a 2 year head start on everyone.

Ferrari are now back, BMW are/will be when the M3 GTR situation is sorted, Nissan are building an GT spec 350Z, theres Spyker, Morgan, Corvette, MG SV, TVR Tuscan. A Mazda RX-8 is also rumoured from Prodrive.

I hate the idea of tube-frame GT cars. If you want to build a tube-frame car, its a prototype not a GT car. Just build a DSP if you don't want to run a true GT car.

Last edited by JAG; 7 Jun 2003 at 00:03.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 00:16 (Ref:623464)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa! the implications of a JGTC cross over is huge, if grand-am makes the GT coup with the JGTC rules, they will corner the Proto-GT/GTS class with potential cross over and manufacturer interest, this might actually be a blow to the ALMS GT/GTS classes, Imagine having the JGTC cars come and contest and possibly some loop hole to run a car in GTS at LeMans Oi this is bad, Good move on GA's part but ALMS-IMSA better reintroduce GTP_GTU adn LMP big and a cheap way too...It is really kinda exciting.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 00:35 (Ref:623480)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you'll find the cars will be more akin to an underpowered low tech NASCAR than a high tech, powerful JGTC car.

Wasn't G/A slong term goal a DSP only grid. Seems to me they've found out the hard way theres not the anticipated demand for the 'low cost' DSPs, and the new GT class will be a less powerful GT bodied DSP.

Can't see the point myself.

Last edited by JAG; 7 Jun 2003 at 00:38.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 10:59 (Ref:623758)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
They're idiots who know nothing and care less about sportscar racing. Oh, for IMSA to repossess the Daytona 24 Hours and the Glen 6 Hours! The rest of the tracks, I'm largely indifferent to.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 01:42 (Ref:625228)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Grand Am can't compete with ALMS. They wouldn't draw the quality cars, except maybe at Daytona, and maybe Glen. They are doing what they have to do, strike out on their own. In a way, their plan isn't bad, since they are going for more economical cars. The Frances do not like factory cars, and they really don't like turbo cars.

The concept of a full field of Daytona Prototypes is ludicrous. They aren't enough people with the needed money to buy and field them. The same is true of other classes in sports car racing. However,if you can create different classes, with different costs, you open up doors for more competitors. That pretty much seems to be the way endurance sports car racing has developed.

That interview is less interview and more infomericial. The bit about the DP roofline mirroring the Roush turbo Cougars was a joke, wan't it? I do like the idea of going towards an All Japan GT type formula, with modifications for some American interest and entries. That doesn't really seem to be what they want to do. They are aiming more for a low tech Trans Am type approach.

I don't see how they are going to get much field in this economy, so somehow they have to allow some other cars in. They killed off the prototypes, the GT class are about the only ones that currently cross over with ALMS, and they seem to be headed towards a handicap there, which would to me seem to have those owners only doing ALMS.

So, what do you have? Will there be ten cars on the grid at any race next year?

Sadly, I think they just become some side show. Filler. I really do not believe that they have much of a reading of the pulse of fan base. I am not sure they care.

I do think that the AJGT type formula could do well in the U.S. I do think that if you put effort into it, you could make it work. I do not think that Grand Am are the people to do it.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 08:52 (Ref:625381)   #7
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gttouring, I beleive JGTC coming to GA will not be a "blow to the ALMS. There's hardly any Japanese interest at all right now for the ALMS, much less a GT presence. In ohter words, they won't be losing anything. Also, the JGTC cars will burn rubber all over the DPs, which suggests that no such cars will be allowed. I think GA will see it in their best interests to keep them ACO spec, and hope for good spill over.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller