Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 30 Jan 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2117352)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Burnout is broken.

So, I decided to buy Burnout Paradise.

I was intially sceptical of the game. Free roam in Burnout? Too much of a departure - but I figured that they would get it right.

The good points first - no more of that ridiculous traffic checking they introduced in Revenge. You cannot just drive into traffic travelling the same way now and expect to blunder through.

The game looks as gorgeous as ever and it drives as well as it always did.

Sadly, despite this, the game is a disappointment. The free roaming element has no place in the Burnout series IMO. It is supposed to be quickfire events that can be easily selected and, where needed, restarted. In this you have to find a bloody event first, then stop and press the accelerator and brake. This quickly grates.

Worse still, if you fail a race you are left only to find another race. No restarts here. People will say "well, there are plenty of events so just do another". Sorry, that is ridiculous. Eventually you have to get all of the races done and I foresee annoyance at having to traipse all the way back to the start to attempt the race again. Which you may well be doing a lot of, because you have to find your own route for the races.

I am also yet to see a crash junction on this game. A big part of the series appears to have gone.

Yet again EA ruin a glorious franchise. They have done a hatchet job on NFS by making it a free roamer (and chavtastic to boot) and now they appear to have influenced the wrong decisions for Burnout. It is horrible.

The series was once a byword for perfection. Burnout 2 and 3 were two of the best games I have ever played, ever. But they have list their way seriously. Sadly, I expect we will be given more free roam Burnouts in future. And, therefore, no more fun.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2117806)   #2
MonkeyMagic
Rookie

MonkeyMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Burnout 2 was the best ever in my opinion and it was before EA...can't and won't say EA does all wrong though but I was quite disappointed by the demo of Burnout Paradise (except the excellent integration of the online mode with very little menus and waiting) and decided not to buy it.

I read about this "can't restart" thing, I don't undertsand how they could get to that point, really strange...

To enjoy an arcade free roaming racing/tuning game I'll probably get my hands on Midnight Club Los Angeles later on this year.

Anyway this year is not going to be as great as 07 when it comes to racing games at least on 360 and GT5 won't make me buy a PS3...
Old 31 Jan 2008, 14:30 (Ref:2117820)   #3
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess i might hire it before i spend $100 on it. Made that mistake with prostreet.

Paradise doesn't come out here til Feb 14 i think, so i have a bit to wait anyway.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2117903)   #4
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have to agree with Knowlesy, havent played the full game but the demo sucked big time. Looked great but was TERRIBLE gameplay and layout.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2117936)   #5
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The crash junctions were my least favourite part of Burnout 3. Yes, a few is ok but there were so many that after a while it was just tedious.

I'm never going to buy another Burnout game. 3 was brilliant, probably my favourite PS2 game, Revenge wasn't as fun and I don't see what else can be done to make the series any better. So things will only get worse.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2117971)   #6
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
Have to agree with Knowlesy, havent played the full game but the demo sucked big time. Looked great but was TERRIBLE gameplay and layout.
But every game sucks in the Demo......
Old 1 Feb 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2118125)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with what was previously said - Burnout 2 was probably the best. Burnout 3 was still good, but I've always loved Burnout 2...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 4 Feb 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2120322)   #8
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OH DEAR and i've just bought the game on e-bay and waiting for it to arrive ok i got it cheaper even with the postage but going on what you guy's are saying maybe it'll be relisted within a couple of days
Old 4 Feb 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2120986)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, who knows. Opinion is very torn on this game.

I dared criticise it on XBox forum and got shot down in flames, so there are obviously people in love with it.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2121101)   #10
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll admit it's a big departure from ye olde burnouts. But it's also great fun with your mates tearing around the city.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2121171)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

If driving around a city with your mates is what you want to do, Crackdown is much cheaper!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 09:48 (Ref:2121452)   #12
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Anyone played it online yet? If it comes today that'll be the first bit i'll try if that's cack it'll be relisted on e-bay
Old 7 Feb 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2123062)   #13
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Well, who knows. Opinion is very torn on this game.

I dared criticise it on XBox forum and got shot down in flames, so there are obviously people in love with it.
Now i've played it i can understand why you criticised its a pain in the arse having to drive everywhere to find a race and trying to find the junk yards drove me nuts last night its just too time comsuming.

What i did like is the crashes they are superb car deformation is second to none.

I've not played online yet this is gonna decide whether i trade the game in or not as usually online play is far better anyway,but i very much doubt it'll be as much fun as COD4 online is but we shall see
Old 7 Feb 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2123132)   #14
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
I ended up buying it rather than hiring it first. Came out 2 days early aswell.

While it doesn't have the re-playability of Forza, it is a game that can be played in small doses. i did get bored after about 40 minutes, but i got ****ed off with the camera. Took a pic for in game, then figured i'd use the same pic on my profile, but nooooo, xbox thought we'd like to be reversed in our pictures (and a number plate sorta doesn't look the same backwards...)
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2124106)   #15
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
What a pile of S**T so its been traded in for two older games if the old format had been kept with then it would have been ok.

I just don't see the point of driving round to start a race when menu's would have been so much quicker but EA seem to know better

Burnout is well and truly broken as the header states.

then again need for speed pro street was just as bad so now i'm not supprised