Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Sep 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2540244)   #1
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Race!!!

Sharp intake of breath.....

Just sent the form off to MGCC for the Thoroughbreds race at Snetterton on Oct 3rd. Made a list last week of all the stuff I need to finish on my car and making good progress at it. Extinguisher plumbed in and all the hand-pulls in and stickered. Picked up a laminated screen from Moss that's ready to go in. Jigsaw racing sorting me out with a few bits and some minilites with a 2nd hand set of tyres. Thanks to midgetman for sorting me out with some 2nd hand fireproofs - I will be the coolest boy in the schoolyard with my Gulf coveralls and Jagermeister livery... until I get on the track and trail around at the back!

Old 14 Sep 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2540248)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, the enthusiasm! It positively jumps out of the screen! I might just have to attend this meeting to cheer you on!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2540278)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2540282)   #4
Chris Acklam
Rookie

Chris Acklam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great stuff. The overalls looked really good - I'm quite envious.

See you at Snett.

Chris
Old 14 Sep 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2540285)   #5
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might be another job for the list or maybe it's already on it, but I'd want that extinguisher properly secured! Good luck for Snet
Old 14 Sep 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2540348)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Sorry we couldn't find you later in the afternoon RR, groom had to take the rabbit face off and then we needed some beer. And some more beer. Was there a motor race on somewhere?
Old 14 Sep 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2540380)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Redneck (sorry I can't remember your first name) PM sent. Do you have someone who is not racing that day can hold your hand as it can be quite a daunting experience. As for trailing around at the back I'm sure if JerryK is in his MG he will be along side you
Old 14 Sep 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2540406)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmmm! Oct 3rd eh? Might just take a ride over and have a look at you,bleary eye'd through not sleeping the night before,jittery and looking for someone to talk too in the big bad world,I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2540415)   #9
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the support. Should be okay as I know a few of the guys in the Thoroughbreds and hopefully they'll keep an eye on me! Extinguisher is secured - that was taken 'during'....

Ordered some roundels and numbers this morning!!!!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2540419)   #10
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Redneck (sorry I can't remember your first name) PM sent. Do you have someone who is not racing that day can hold your hand as it can be quite a daunting experience. As for trailing around at the back I'm sure if JerryK is in his MG he will be along side you
Not totally sure but heard a mention of D-types from Jerry as we were packing up...
Old 14 Sep 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2540428)   #11
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Stuart, just thought (and did not look that close on Sat), has it got a locking steering column?

If so you will want that disabled / removed (best not to think about it locking during the race).

Try to wriggle out of the last two days work for getting to SPA with Colin.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2540441)   #12
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
Stuart, just thought (and did not look that close on Sat), has it got a locking steering column?

If so you will want that disabled / removed (best not to think about it locking during the race).

Try to wriggle out of the last two days work for getting to SPA with Colin.
Yes it does... how do you go about disabling one? Big F***ing Hammer?
Old 14 Sep 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2540447)   #13
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rocket View Post
Yes it does... how do you go about disabling one? Big F***ing Hammer?
I'm sure you will get some details from on here. I think you can even just BUST it ala a Pikey theif thrying to nick it. Or just remove the lot with the key andlock in all togther and have a separate starter button (one of the best things about old races A BIG STARTER BUTTON!!).
Old 14 Sep 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2540468)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The proper way to remove it would be to drill the bolts out and remove the lock and as jon says, fit a starter button and ignition switch or key elsewhere. The wrong way is with a slide hammer, then you can use a screwdriver to start it.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2540470)   #15
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
The proper way to remove it would be to drill the bolts out and remove the lock and as jon says, fit a starter button and ignition switch or key elsewhere. The wrong way is with a slide hammer, then you can use a screwdriver to start it.
Is there no way to disable it without making the key ignition redundant? My car lives on the street in Battersea and I'd rather not have a screwdriver/starter button as it would be rather easy to nick!!!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2540484)   #16
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Old 14 Sep 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2540488)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Is there no way to disable it without making the key ignition redundant? My car lives on the street in Battersea and I'd rather not have a screwdriver/starter button as it would be rather easy to nick!!!
Well It's a 1970s Triumph it's not going to be that hard to nick anyway. But I'd just leave it all alone, there's only a couple of hard bits to hit at Snet
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2540552)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it a requirement that steering locks were removed? Certainly an unlikely thing to lock itself,BUT !!!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2540564)   #19
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
So what's the answer? Is the lock mechanism actually an integral part of the ignition switch such that it can't be removed without keeping the ignition in place?
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2540573)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I thought it a requirement that steering locks were removed? Certainly an unlikely thing to lock itself,BUT !!!
Yes, am sure it needs to be disabled for scrutineering- certainly had to be on rally cars and personally wouldn't want to race with it still fitted. Normally the lock is a pin which engages in a groove in the column. You need to dimantle the whole thing (possibly with said hammer!) and get rid of pin somehow or grind end off. Then you can re-assemble and keep your switch for starting. If you havn't fixed it by Snet I'll bring a big crowbar
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2540575)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
As tim suggested,drill out the two security bolts,you might need a carbide bit to drill them though,take out the complete unit when the locking bolt will become apparent.Set the lock in its locked position and cut off the section that goe's into the steering colomb,get some ordinary cap head bolts and bolt it back in.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2540576)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
So what's the answer? Is the lock mechanism actually an integral part of the ignition switch such that it can't be removed without keeping the ignition in place?
Normally the bit that locks the wheel will be wrapped around and bolted to the outer column via the lock assembly. I suppose you may be able to remove it and take the locking part out but that sort of defeats the object of the lock. On the other hand anyone who has a mind to steal a car wouldn't be put off by the steering lock anyway. You may be better off wrapping a large bit of chain from the seat mount and padlock it to the steering wheel (IIRC you already have that) and you have the FIA imobiliser so you can remove that key which will make another item to slow the would be thief down.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2540582)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Blue Book 'Car Racing' (G) Regulation 112-

'Steering locks should be rendered inoperative (except for road going vehicles driven to events.)'
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2540584)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thats what I did on a fake works TR7 I did for my old boss Carter years ago Tim,dont think there is a lot of difference between that and the Spitfire.Still gives the 'Key start' if you happen to be a purist.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2540591)   #25
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Thats what I did on a fake works TR7 I did for my old boss Carter years ago Tim,dont think there is a lot of difference between that and the Spitfire.Still gives the 'Key start' if you happen to be a purist.
I'm not so I use a screwdriver