Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Sep 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2542366)   #51
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Stuart,you are allowed to cut a hole in order to get the anti-sub strap in.
Is it not possible to get a larger 3mm plate in the rear deck because there is only three quaters of an inch of washer at the rear of the eye-bolt and I know those rear decks are not that strong.Far better to get these sorted now just in case you get pulled for it at scrutineering,it might only be at home in the street,but thats easier than at the circuit which is a lot more stress/agro,not the best frame of mind to start a race with.
Yeah I could probably get a plate made up to go underneath... you can't actually see into that part of the body though since I have now got an ally panel screwed/siliconed on there so they wouldn't be able to tell what's underneath...
Old 16 Sep 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2542371)   #52
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rocket View Post
Yeah I could probably get a plate made up to go underneath... you can't actually see into that part of the body though since I have now got an ally panel screwed/siliconed on there so they wouldn't be able to tell what's underneath...
Except you've told the world on here, scrutineers read this, MGCC scrutineers especially, why do you think I PM'd you the other day
Seriously though, for your own safety I would put a decent size spreader plate under those top seat belt mounts.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 20:38 (Ref:2542388)   #53
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with all the comments above, it's more about your safety than just getting through scrutineering. Good luck, enjoy your first race and I hope the bug bites
Old 16 Sep 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2542454)   #54
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Except you've told the world on here, scrutineers read this, MGCC scrutineers especially, why do you think I PM'd you the other day
Seriously though, for your own safety I would put a decent size spreader plate under those top seat belt mounts.
Yeah just been talking to Andrew about that and come to the conclusion that a spreader plate is the way to go. I consulted with the scrutineers at Thruxton and they said that the floor behind the seat was a no-go because the angle would be almost 90 degrees and that I should use the bodywork where I have installed them as the best possible solution. There really isn't any other option but a spreader plate seems like a very good idea so that will be my next project!!!
Old 16 Sep 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2542456)   #55
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Just a small point RedNeck, how on earth are you going to get the hard top on now you have the belts there, I agree with Terry and think they should have gone where he suggested as it looks like a lot less than 90 degrees to me.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2542461)   #56
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's what I thought but the scrutineer said no...?
The floor behind the seat is a no no, but on top of the transverse leaf tunnel is where many spitty racers have it. A bar between the wheel arches works well too and is not chassis strenghtening as the spitfire tub is only bolted to the chassis anyhow - sometimes scrutes need help with car model specifics.

Here's mine, belt eyebolts are at the bottom of the rhs backstay and they are good for the angles and scrutes happy for last 10 years. I realise your cage will be different but there is room there to get eyebolts there under the fuel tank.

Where your bolts are now I'd recommend a big spreader, perhaps a length of 2" flatbar linking the two and outwards.

Also are you putting a firewall (ally or GRP plate) between the cockpit and the fuel tank? (is that the ally plate you were on about in earlier post) the standard Triumph hardboard panel is not good enough.

And good luck with your first race, lots to think about and stress over but its worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
cagesmall_9480.jpg  

Last edited by AndyV; 16 Sep 2009 at 22:58. Reason: added panel bit
Old 16 Sep 2009, 23:00 (Ref:2542463)   #57
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Just a small point RedNeck, how on earth are you going to get the hard top on now you have the belts there, I agree with Terry and think they should have gone where he suggested as it looks like a lot less than 90 degrees to me.
Turn them upside down maybe and run them inside?

EDIT - am talking rubbish as would need to pass through firewall them, please ignore.

Andy
Old 16 Sep 2009, 23:07 (Ref:2542467)   #58
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
I can get the hard top on with the shoulder straps disconnected for road driving but will be racing it al fresco...
Old 16 Sep 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2542468)   #59
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
The floor behind the seat is a no no, but on top of the transverse leaf tunnel is where many spitty racers have it. A bar between the wheel arches works well too and is not chassis strenghtening as the spitfire tub is only bolted to the chassis anyhow - sometimes scrutes need help with car model specifics.

Here's mine, belt eyebolts are at the bottom of the rhs backstay and they are good for the angles and scrutes happy for last 10 years. I realise your cage will be different but there is room there to get eyebolts there under the fuel tank.

Where your bolts are now I'd recommend a big spreader, perhaps a length of 2" flatbar linking the two and outwards.

Also are you putting a firewall (ally or GRP plate) between the cockpit and the fuel tank? (is that the ally plate you were on about in earlier post) the standard Triumph hardboard panel is not good enough.

And good luck with your first race, lots to think about and stress over but its worth it.
Yup have installed a 20 guage ally plate back there and sealed it with lots of silicone to stop fuel getting through in the event of a sausage & mash.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 03:17 (Ref:2542556)   #60
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
This is checked - we had one guy who fell foul of scrutineering at Mallory last year and missed qualifying by the time he got the lock off. The irony is that the car was Mot'd & taxed but when asked he said he had brought it on a trailer. If it had been driven there, no problem - if it's really a safety issue surely all cars should have them removed regardless?
In Australia it is illegal to remove the steering lock on a road registered car and you can't re-register an unregistered car with the steering lock removed. Therefore, our ASN has no choice but to allow road registered cars to race or rally with the steering lock fitted.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 03:20 (Ref:2542557)   #61
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So that must mean you are OK Redneck. Has anyone ever heard of an accident caused by a steering lock locking up as I hav'nt?
On Youtube there's an Impreza WRX rally car being flat towed after a breakdown and the steering lock kicks in half way around a tight corner and the car is dragged into a rock wall!
Old 17 Sep 2009, 05:03 (Ref:2542577)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
In Australia it is illegal to remove the steering lock on a road registered car and you can't re-register an unregistered car with the steering lock removed. Therefore, our ASN has no choice but to allow road registered cars to race or rally with the steering lock fitted.
That is an extraordinary situation David! For rally cars especially. Is this item checked on road cars during whatever your equivalent to our MOT is?

RR- The 'stress' is all now, and all disappears the moment you get out on track Will be at Snet at least one day (maybe in GTS- Christophe threatening a 'yellow card' for not racing with them this year) and possibly testing other car friday as well, so will try and find you to wish good luck. Just do lots of this and make sure you get to see
Old 17 Sep 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2542918)   #63
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RR I've got the same belt problem with the Midget and I've bolted the belts on the floor behind the seat - we're about the same height so the angles are the same and I've had no scrute ask me about it. IMO the floor is stronger than the back panel which I reckon would deform in a shunt, and you could wriggle out the belts, so it's safer. IIRC the belt angle is a recomendation not a "must" so the scrute can't throw you out for it, but check your BB first!

Just a thought though, if Spits have removable body, shouldn't you look at putting the belts into the chassis legs somewhere?

I like your workshop, been there, done that, still using the Tshirt!
Old 17 Sep 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2542946)   #64
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As suggested,if the harness was mounted approx two inches down from the bottom of the fuel tank,that should be somewhere near to what they should be.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2543000)   #65
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
On Youtube there's an Impreza WRX rally car being flat towed after a breakdown and the steering lock kicks in half way around a tight corner and the car is dragged into a rock wall!
But was the key in the lock? I really think if there was the absolute slightest risk this could happen on a road car they would have been banned on the road years ago.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2543033)   #66
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought Stuart,I take it you have a Catch Tank fitted? [or an old oil container]
Old 17 Sep 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2543035)   #67
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just a thought Stuart,I take it you have a Catch Tank fitted? [or an old oil container]
It wont need one if the breather vents to the air filter housing
Old 17 Sep 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2543040)   #68
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Very true, but I thought I might ask the question just in case.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2543055)   #69
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
It wont need one if the breather vents to the air filter housing
Is that right, that may save me some problems I never knew that.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2543103)   #70
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
Not yet but I'm going to use a radiator overflow bottle mounted just in front of the rad. I removed the breathers that used to recirculate from the rocker cover into the carbs.

As far as the belt mounting goes I spoke with Mark at Jigsaw racing who is building my carbs and he said they would weld some cold drawn steel between the two wheel arches. Apparently since the Spitfire body is removable from the chassis this would not qualify as a chassis stiffening device so no issues with Championship regulations. The only drawback is it will reduce my already limited luggage space but hey ho...
Old 18 Sep 2009, 04:32 (Ref:2543204)   #71
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Is that right, that may save me some problems I never knew that.
Why would you want to blow warm air into the carb(s)?
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2543233)   #72
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Not yet but I'm going to use a radiator overflow bottle mounted just in front of the rad. I removed the breathers that used to recirculate from the rocker cover into the carbs.

As far as the belt mounting goes I spoke with Mark at Jigsaw racing who is building my carbs and he said they would weld some cold drawn steel between the two wheel arches. Apparently since the Spitfire body is removable from the chassis this would not qualify as a chassis stiffening device so no issues with Championship regulations. The only drawback is it will reduce my already limited luggage space but hey ho...
Good man! As to the welding,is that not a little ott,you only need to drill through the axle hump in the floor,lets you keep some limited space.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2543257)   #73
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Why would you want to blow warm air into the carb(s)?
True but doubt it would make a lot of difference in the whole scheme of things I do tend to think a lot of stuff that is done on race cars is a load of old unneccessary hype and am tending to go back to basics a bit more in search of reliability. A good example on my IROC I originally built it with a low slung alternator to get CG down a tad, I tell you I have had so much bloody agg with that thing from shorting wires to the chassis, the supplied brackets not fitting correctly, thrown alternator belts that I have just invested in a waterpump with the correct lugs to mount everything up top like it came from the factory and a nice billet aluminuim rose jointed bracket like I have on my other car which works a treat and I will fit all this stuff when I install the new engine I am building which has no oil cooler and a completely black painted engine aka my other car for the same reasons.

BTW getting back to RedNecks car isn't it great to see this site working as it should with all the good advice floating about which will save him grief (hopefully) at the track, shame they never had this facility years ago.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2543506)   #74
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
Good man! As to the welding,is that not a little ott,you only need to drill through the axle hump in the floor,lets you keep some limited space.
Only trouble is I've installed an ally plate in there and sealed it up to prevent fuel getting into the cockpit. Unless you really mould the plate underneath the tank I don't see how you could mount the eyes on top of the spring tunnel.

Old 18 Sep 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2543539)   #75
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I see what you mean Stuart,how close is the ally to the Spring Tunnel? If it was close enough,you could still get the eyes into it,the sheeting look's nice and neat by the way.