Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Oct 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2554768)   #1
bluesbrother30
Rookie

United States
West Sacramento, California
bluesbrother30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MK II Cortina GT race history

My first post and hoping I can get some assistance. I am trying to find any info, anywhere in the world, of MKII Cortina GT 1600 x flow motor, being raced prior to Jan of 1968. The 1600 x flow motor was introduced in late 1967 for the "1968 model year". For club racing acceptance, I must find proof of a 1600 x flow being raced prior to Jan 1, 1968. Any help, leads, etc will be much appreciated.

BB30
Old 5 Oct 2009, 23:38 (Ref:2554835)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Zef might be able to come up with something, but without googling around for ages the only thing I definitely know is the first Mk 2s had the 1500 pre crossflow engine fitted to use them up. A mate of mine had a brand new GT with that in it on an E plate (1967) This was the year where they started the F plates I believe in August ? I know we all started to use the crossflow stuff for racing in 1968 ish, but as for documented proof Check through Willment Racing history as they ran GTs in the BTCC .
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Oct 2009, 06:26 (Ref:2554925)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome BB30, good luck with this one. I think Alan Mann also used a MkII GT in 67.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 07:02 (Ref:2554941)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
In UK can only find reference to Twin Cam or FVA Mk2s in 1967. I guess as the GT was pre-crossflow engined to start with the chances are that a privateer would have run with this engine in that year. Not sure if any difference in timing of crossflow engine launch in Europe? Maybe you will need to search 1967 magazines and race programs / results. Good luck and sorry can't help!
Old 6 Oct 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2554954)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
At the same time Fords also ran the 1300cc lipseal crank engine in pre crossflow form. I don't know why Fords did this as it meant a different head casting from the old 1200 and only ran for a very limited time. It did mean that for a few years there was a fair number of brand new surplus head castings kicking about that were ideal for modding for a quick 1500, we didn't have to shave so much off them and as us Kent engine men know that is one of the main problems.
I know this isn't helping to find out the thread question but before I loose too many brain cells I though I would write it down
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Oct 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2554959)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
5133 is homologation for 1500gt MK2 Cortina . . .Jan 1967

5185 is the homologation for the MK2 1600 GT, dated 01/01/1968 therefore one would deduce it was homologated in 1967 . . .upon successful completion it was awarded recognition on 1st Jan

therefore I'd argue it was actually homologated in 1967.

a MK2 with a well developed crossflow would be a useful tool in post historics for example.

in fact its always suprised me MK2's are so under valued in this respect.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2554962)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, Ford introduced the 1600 CF at Paris Motor Show Oct 67 in the 1600E,now how did I know that?---------------------------------------------------------------------------I had a 67 1600E!
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:10 (Ref:2554967)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
of course it was the 681 block, narrow stem followers and semi chambered head wasn't it Terry

if you can get away with it a 711 blocked 1600 botom end, flat tops and down draught head would be the way to go . . .with an AX block and bored to 86mm for 1800cc as well!
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:12 (Ref:2554969)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Yep, Ford introduced the 1600 CF at Paris Motor Show Oct 67 in the 1600E,now how did I know that?---------------------------------------------------------------------------I had a 67 1600E!
I bet you/ve still got it on bricks down the garden, an old boy racer then
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2554971)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
if you can get away with it a 711 blocked 1600 botom end, flat tops and down draught head would be the way to go . . .with an AX block and bored to 86mm for 1800cc as well!
As used at a fair few period correct meetings
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2554974)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fact the engine in it was shagged,Hall and Fowler had a 711 ex FF engine [new] at the right money so we had a play with that.
Spent a fortune on that car whilst I owned it,turned me off of ever owning a Ford again. [until recently.]
Eventually sold it for £250!!!
Old 6 Oct 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2555361)   #12
bluesbrother30
Rookie

United States
West Sacramento, California
bluesbrother30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cortina GT

Thanks guys, keep the comment coming. Zef, am I correct in assuming that the numbers you listed, 5188, are FIA numbers and if so, where do I find them? Yes, the motor in my car is pretty stout, we are still developing the whole package but is a blast to drive. The point of this research is to get it into our local club so I can harass the Lotus Cortinas. I have also contacted the SCCA in hopes they have archive info for race entrys in late 1967. If a car is being considered for homologation, what process must be done and who does it?? How would I contact Alan Mann??

BB30
Old 6 Oct 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2555387)   #13
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jeremy Hall who lurks here often is probably a good start point.....