Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Dec 2015, 07:29 (Ref:3598913)   #2526
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doing some nice relaxed xmas shopping yesterday morning in a place called Daun (non of this manic, no parking spaces, grumpy shoppers etc for us thanks)
Daun has a oneway narrow main street, sitting down for eine kaffee, we watched a Belgian reg car try to go the wrong way, despite plenty of road signage.Made me think of the Deutshe joke of "fail the driving test three times and you get a red on white number plate".
Old 20 Dec 2015, 07:49 (Ref:3598918)   #2527
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
No parking spaces- not a problem I've experienced either, mass-transit public transport doesn't have to queue for car parks! Norwich also has a well developed park and ride system that cost me £3.50 for a day. As for grumpy shoppers- what's new?
Old 20 Dec 2015, 08:38 (Ref:3598921)   #2528
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thought everyone did their shopping on line these days . Mrs Delta had the Tweeks catalog out the other day . So new underwear for me next week . Hope this helps our Jason towards running his Touring car .😉
Old 20 Dec 2015, 09:29 (Ref:3598930)   #2529
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Mike - I understand that round here if you have your bus pass the park and ride is free; maybe you have that too?
Old 20 Dec 2015, 10:29 (Ref:3598936)   #2530
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Mike - I understand that round here if you have your bus pass the park and ride is free; maybe you have that too?
I thought bus passes had been quietly abandoned in most places.

Modern affluent pensioners can afford cars and the extortionate parking charges (so people think). Why would a council give up that revenue stream and incur the costs providing free travel?

They have their salaries and pension pots to think of you know!

Here is part of what ymy local council has to say on the matter:

"People born on or before 5th April 1950 qualify for a pass on their 60th birthday.

From 6th April 2010, the government has changed the regulations about qualifying age, in line with rules about state pensions for women.

Men and women born on or after 6th April 1950 will have to wait an extra period of time to receive their pass."

They don't bother to say what that extra period is.

Deeper digging identifies a rather complex period of "extensions" to the age point at which the pass can be applied for.

Also that in general a pass is not valid for service which offer "extras" - like free parking. Locally, it seems, there are exceptions or alternative charge arrangements for using Park and Ride.

Last edited by grantp; 20 Dec 2015 at 10:39. Reason: Added info
Old 20 Dec 2015, 10:43 (Ref:3598937)   #2531
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
In York it used to be free but now they charge 50p. Still cheap.
Old 20 Dec 2015, 12:11 (Ref:3598945)   #2532
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I thought bus passes had been quietly abandoned in most places.
They have to be available in all parts of the country, well certainly in England. And the pass is valid to be used on buses in other local government areas, i.e. I use my West Yorkshire pass to travel for free on buses in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
From 6th April 2010, the government has changed the regulations about qualifying age, in line with rules about state pensions for women.

Men and women born on or after 6th April 1950 will have to wait an extra period of time to receive their pass."

They don't bother to say what that extra period is.

Deeper digging identifies a rather complex period of "extensions" to the age point at which the pass can be applied for.
This is all part of the equalisation of the state retirement age process that is taking place. Instead of reducing the qualification age for a bus pass to the old retirement age of females, the last government changed it so that it will eventually coinside with the new equalised age for both males and females as and when it is phased in over a period of years.

To my mind it makes sense as females generally outlive males by a number of years. However, expect either the current government, or a succeeding one, to raise the state retirement age further towards 70. Unfortunately, the taxpayers of the UK cannot afford to keep the retirement age as it is for much longer; there will just not be enough working adults to support the growing population of pensioners.
Old 20 Dec 2015, 12:22 (Ref:3598950)   #2533
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Thought everyone did their shopping on line these days . Mrs Delta had the Tweeks catalog out the other day . So new underwear for me next week . Hope this helps our Jason towards running his Touring car .😉
Don't forget Bro's new Lambo in British GT........

Interesting about 'that' catalogue, I tend to use it rather than search the website. With a certain Ford performance place, it's the other way round. Mind you, the latter have cheaper prices on line than in print and free carriage if you spend enough, which unfortunately I usually do!

David, haven't got a bus pass, as services not particularly useful to me around here. Think there is some concession on P&R for pensioners, but for the few times per year I use it, happy to pay full Wack....
Old 20 Dec 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3598980)   #2534
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There must be one bus per week Mike-you could stay on it all day, would save a bit of heat and electricity at home..
Old 20 Dec 2015, 17:19 (Ref:3598988)   #2535
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
There must be one bus per week Mike-you could stay on it all day, would save a bit of heat and electricity at home..
Nah, it's probably already full of other old codgers doing exactly that....
Old 21 Dec 2015, 00:25 (Ref:3599034)   #2536
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Got a bus pass - originally got one after my brain op when I had to give up my licence for medical reasons, so was entitled to one......once I'd passed 60 it eventually dawned on me that I could get one.....useful to get the express bus into/out of Manchester when I needed to use the train to collect/deliver a car......

Just narked that if you live in Greater Manchester, as I used to,you get free travel on the Metrolink......but as I live in Lancashire, I can't
Old 21 Dec 2015, 04:43 (Ref:3599067)   #2537
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've had a bus pass for years, but as I live in the sticks in the UK with one bus about every year or so I've never caught one and never used it , I can't use it in Spain unfortunately where there is an abundance of them !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Dec 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3599203)   #2538
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
When my daughter was born I thought that's handy she will be able to help me with Christmas shopping . 22 years later it's paid off
Old 22 Dec 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3599518)   #2539
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The latest about power companies not being fair, xmas came early today.Got a letter today with a cheque for 120£.Apparently I had been in credit after my last payment to them, two sodding years ago!!!
Obviously a very efficient accounts department who could not see that I had indeed overpaid my last bill despite my telling them so.******s!
Old 24 Dec 2015, 10:23 (Ref:3599917)   #2540
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Not alone there Terry, we had free electric for 6 months because of a balls up with estimated readings, at first they threatened to cut us off and then said that they owed us a few hundred quid, no apology though !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Dec 2015, 10:36 (Ref:3599920)   #2541
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, I got my account credited with £400 back in the Summer when I drew their attention to it!!

Anyway, hope all enjoy the festive season!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 24 Dec 2015, 14:38 (Ref:3599971)   #2542
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Merry Christmas everyone, although we haven't got any snow here yet !
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled (3).jpg  
Old 24 Dec 2015, 17:19 (Ref:3599996)   #2543
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
What you mean no snow 'yet'?

Seasons greetings to all tenthers, wherever they are spending the holidays!

Have a good one.

Old 24 Dec 2015, 19:38 (Ref:3600017)   #2544
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I had to zig zag home stoping of for Christmas Eve dwinks . Got blooming puncture 10 miles from so kept on peddling . Merry Hum Bug . BTW anyone else watch that Dads Army programme documentary the other night . Absolutky brilliant .
Old 24 Dec 2015, 20:12 (Ref:3600021)   #2545
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I had to zig zag home stoping of for Christmas Eve dwinks . Got blooming puncture 10 miles from so kept on peddling . Merry Hum Bug . BTW anyone else watch that Dads Army programme documentary the other night . Absolutky brilliant .
Good to see the dwinks haven't affected your spelling.....

I wondered about the Dads Army docu, so downloaded it ready for a boring moment over next day or 3. Glad it lived up expectations!
Old 24 Dec 2015, 20:15 (Ref:3600022)   #2546
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I don't know what to think of the new Top Gear, at least I see that Sabine Schmitz is a co host so all is not lost yet !
Old 24 Dec 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3600033)   #2547
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno Gordon - no argument that she's clearly a handy driver, and a decent bit of eye candy to boot! What she'll be like as a presenter though remains to be seen. And I've never heard of the other guy (no, not Coulthard - the other other guy!).

Happy Christmas to all on here!
Old 25 Dec 2015, 00:00 (Ref:3600043)   #2548
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
As the (be)witching hour approaches, I'll echo Gordon's Feliz Navidad from Tenerife, and wish all Tenthers a happy, healthy, and enjoyable Christmas and New Year!
Old 25 Dec 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3600049)   #2549
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I dunno Gordon - no argument that she's clearly a handy driver, and a decent bit of eye candy to boot! What she'll be like as a presenter though remains to be seen. And I've never heard of the other guy (no, not Coulthard - the other other guy!).
No I don't know who the other bloke is either ! What I do like about Sabine is that she "almost" beat Clarkson's time around the Ring (was it a Jag) ? when she was driving a Tranny Van !!!!
Old 25 Dec 2015, 03:59 (Ref:3600085)   #2550
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Not so sure on the "eyecandy" thing but she is great fun to work with and a very nice woman to know.Clarkson had a lot of training laps before the Jag lap but he didn't take some things on board too well!
Meanwhile Quiddelbache Hohe (or Flugplatz to some) has been reprofiled.Only took a week.When I get enough signal Ill put up a picture!
Frohe Weinachten.Or as Iain said.Still, had the shortest day, some Cranes flew in yesterday, so spring is on its way..Oder? Nicht?

Last edited by terence; 25 Dec 2015 at 04:15.