Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Mar 2002, 22:40 (Ref:244030)   #1
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally Disgusting

That's right. Paul's model art is making life miserable for the model builders. I have a kit of the 1979 Essex Porsche 936, but there is little point in building it now. Not since i can't make the kit look this good. Curse you, Paul's!
Attached Thumbnails
p1010006.jpg  
Old 25 Mar 2002, 22:48 (Ref:244042)   #2
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Just disgusting!
Attached Thumbnails
p1010008.jpg  
Old 25 Mar 2002, 22:51 (Ref:244049)   #3
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Doc, some of the stuff you've built looks amazing!
Old 25 Mar 2002, 23:29 (Ref:244084)   #4
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but this model is REALLY, REALLY good. Quite disgusting, really.

Of course it is all machine done. They start off with a prefect casting and perfect machine applied paint, and then the graphics are computer applied. The wheels and other plastic parts are moulded much cleaner than can be done in resin. The entire model is moulded and cast almost perfectly with no flash or imperfections. there is nothing to clean up and nothing to fill or repair. Everything is moulded in the right color, so it is simply a matter of just screwing it together.

Plastic injection moulding machinery is just too damm expensive to justify for making 200 or 300 kits, especially when Paul's is building 5000 of these that they sell for the same price.

so as the technique and technology of mass producing lucrative die casts improves, the quality goes up and the costs go down. Meahwhile, as always, the cottage industry remains in the stone age. The quality of some of the kits just won't allow this kind of result unless you are beyond a masterbuilder. Some manufacturers like BBR and Marsh made a kit that good, but they don't make everything, and that is when you have to settle for something not as nice. That, or wait for the diecast.

Right now the deicast market is absolutely a buyer's market.
Soon, relations with China might sour and that might not be so good for us in the market. Then the prices might go out of sight. I say right now is the optimum time to get started collecting. Damm near everything is available and it is cheap and quality is good. It isn't gonna be this good forever.

So it is really a good day that i got such a superb model at such a steal. But I am a little depressed that the handbuilt model might one day be a thing of the past.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 05:09 (Ref:244228)   #5
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heh ... im be getting my lmp07 in in 1-3 days. theyll be releasing a sebring version in sept. hopefully ill be getting one of those too.

thanks, doc.

Quote:
So it is really a good day that i got such a superb model at such a steal. But I am a little depressed that the handbuilt model might one day be a thing of the past.
heh ... only when theres not a significant demand for them ...
Old 26 Mar 2002, 12:30 (Ref:244336)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend of mine made me an Alex Job car out of paper -- you can't even tell it's paper until you pick it up. The handbuilt model will flourish as long as some teams don't release diecasts.

A driver I interviewed had models of his last year's GT car made -- in connection with the local Porsche/Audi dealership -- and he said that it's not as expensive as you would have thought. They had 250 of them made mainly for promotional purposes and are going to sell the rest on consignment.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 13:35 (Ref:244404)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
They had 250 of them made mainly for promotional purposes and are going to sell the rest on consignment.
Sounds worth having......
Old 26 Mar 2002, 21:42 (Ref:244721)   #8
J_Ickx_Fan
Rookie

J_Ickx_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dr Austin

Would you mind getting in touch with me by mail, I have pictures for you but I do not know your e-mail. Mine is on my website as you know :-)

Julien
Old 27 Mar 2002, 03:29 (Ref:244879)   #9
Dr. Austin
Veteran

I came to your beautiful web site and found this nice forum here. Seems like I've been here before. Here is another 936 that I think is interesting, but i will leave it to our Ickx' tribute site to tell you the story...........
Attached Thumbnails
p1010002.jpg  

Last edited by Dr. Austin; 27 Mar 2002 at 03:34.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 02:47 (Ref:245607)   #10
J_Ickx_Fan
Rookie

Hmmm I'm not very good about car's story and my English is crappy
All that I know it is that after the victory of John Wyer's Mirage driven by Ickx/Bell in 1975, the management of Porsche says " if you can't beat an enemy, make him an ally " and Jacky Ickx was engaged by Porsche for the season 1976. Jacky won 7 races at the wheel of the 935 and 936 including Le Mans which was his 3rd victory and Porsche won the World Championship that year. The picture of the Porsche 936 that Dr Austin showed in the previous thread is the one who won le Mans in 1977.
At the start of the race Ickx was not part of the drivers that should drive the number 4. He was driving the 936/77 number 3 with Pescarolo.
Unfortunatly the number 3 broke its engine quit early.
The number 4 was also having lot of trouble and when it restarted it was at the 49th position, several laps behind the leader. So chances of a victory faced to Renault armada were zero.
Then Porsche's team manager asked Ickx to join Barth and Haywood at the wheel of the #4. It was raining all night long and Ickx drove the maximum time allowed by rules.

Jacky used to say about this race: "I have push it to the limit, I was driving in a state of divine grace ( which means he was driving like nothing could stop him, protected by the Lord), this nightwas really magic for me. The team which was psychologically annulled also began again to believe in it, according to our ascent in the classification. Finally, everybody gave the best of himself.
When I was telling my engineer, during a pitstop, that I was going to stay at the wheel, he was saying "I can't believe it...".
At the sunrise I was exhausted. We were come back at the second place keeping a big pressure on the Renault of Jabouille/Bell which didn't last longer before giving up. Even us, we finished the race with a dead engine running on 5 cylinders. Like the car I couldn't give anything more but it was a fantastic moment."

Now try to understand my Chinese LoL

Julien
Old 28 Mar 2002, 06:21 (Ref:245682)   #11
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Thanks, Julien. I had never seen those quotes. Did he write an autobiography?
Old 28 Mar 2002, 11:11 (Ref:245812)   #12
J_Ickx_Fan
Rookie

No he didn't unfortunaly. But I have a few books dedicated to him and one that Fab sent me to make a copy.
That's from where I'm taking all the info I have.
I'm planning to write to Jacky Ickx to ask his opinion about my website. Maybe I'll know more if I'll receive an anwer

Julien