Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 May 2002, 23:45 (Ref:300932)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz hit by new rules

" Never, under any circumstances, will Panoz build a car with an engine in the back."

The offical word from Panoz, which will be a problem for them when the new areo rules kick in. After the Mercedes incident in 99, the flat bottoms to sportscars will be gone, with all cars having underfloor tunnels or venturis on the belly of their cars. The problem for Panoz will be that this tunnel will be underneath where the driver is sat, which isn't a problem for other cars. However, Panoz have said they will find away around this problem. Good luck!
Old 30 May 2002, 23:48 (Ref:300934)   #2
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mid engine panoz? this should be interesting beast to see.
Old 31 May 2002, 01:52 (Ref:300983)   #3
Es Nes
Veteran

grr ... messange limit ... oh well

im guessing the next panozes will have thhe driver back where they are now, execpt centerally seated. id love to see them go to a mr configuration. purhapes a backwards lmp07

what sort of tunnels will they be using? will they run thhe entire lenght or half?
Old 31 May 2002, 02:44 (Ref:300999)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ground effects again? Yipes!!

Sports car racing is about to get a _lot_ faster, more exciting... And more dangerous.

But... With all that extra grip.... Maybe Mr. Panoz could investigate the possibility of reviving the Eiffel 1000km race? Puleeeeeeeeeease?
Old 31 May 2002, 03:21 (Ref:301004)   #5
Es Nes
Veteran

faster? if theyre giving them ground effects for safety, expect smaller tyres and less hp. i wouldnt be surprised if they had too much downforce for the power theyll have.
Old 31 May 2002, 08:11 (Ref:301106)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If it comes with a host of other rules then it may mean that the cars don't produce more downforce despite the tunnels. Then there doesn't have to be changes to the tyre/engine rules.

The tunnels could be made to be less than effecient, shall we say. All they want to do is move the point where the downfroce is created away from the edges of the car to the centre. And make this downforce less dependent on the height of the nose.

Hopefully we shall still see cars with the same levels of power, mechanical and aerodynamic grip. The aerodynamic contribution can be of the same level, just produced in a different way.

Let's see what they choose to do with the rules. Aren't they released for the first time at Le Mans in the week before the race?