Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Dec 2004, 22:34 (Ref:1175723)   #1
GMS144
Rookie

GMS144 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walkinshaw to Head Holden Motorsport

From Grandprix.com

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13966.html

Text removed, and link included. Please dont paste entire articles when a link will do it.

Cheers - Wrex

Is this good for the Red army???
Old 9 Dec 2004, 23:06 (Ref:1175743)   #2
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This would be a little contradictory compared with the demand that the HMS/HRO/WeAreOne teams needs to split and have clear boundaries between them. Part of that service provision would likely include personnel, so that will have to change.

Do the Perkins and GRM operations fall shy of HMS support?
Old 10 Dec 2004, 00:06 (Ref:1175785)   #3
Lowndesfan6
Racer

Lowndesfan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a 6 car superteam is now an 8 car superteam.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 00:49 (Ref:1175810)   #4
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good bye Mr.Skaife.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 01:13 (Ref:1175820)   #5
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
Good bye Mr.Skaife.
Could you please elaborate, Billy?
Old 10 Dec 2004, 03:49 (Ref:1175835)   #6
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this will seal Lowndes future with Ford .

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 10 Dec 2004, 04:52 (Ref:1175845)   #7
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
I think this will seal Lowndes future with Ford .
I think it was highly unlikely that CL would have found his
way back to Red colours anyway.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 05:57 (Ref:1175862)   #8
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i wouldn't say that, jeff grech has always been complimentary of lowndes, as has Skaife. Crennan won't be around forever..
Old 10 Dec 2004, 09:43 (Ref:1175965)   #9
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lowndes will definatley now stay with Ford for the long term!

Grech has no say-he is upset he wasnt consulted nor was Skaife.(a slap in the face for that pair) It will indeed be intresting to see how those two react having the rug pulled from under them!!!

A N D >>>remember the harsh way Walkinshaw treated Lowndes - making him payback for the open wheeler deal in Europe - no love there!

Craig will be Blue now for a very very long time,

with these circumstances occuring (and im happy)

Last edited by Grimace; 10 Dec 2004 at 09:48.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 09:45 (Ref:1175970)   #10
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
the o/s venture was not the fault of walkinshaw.
australia should have backed Lowndes.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1175982)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Walkinshaw piddled a million bucks up the wall because the team he chose was not the right one for Cwaig....

It was TWR's choice of team that led Mr Lowndes to face JPM in the same without a chassis engineer in his corner..... and lets not even start on the english discussion....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Dec 2004, 10:12 (Ref:1175986)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My thoughts exactly, GTR. I reckon that Lowndes was royally shafted in F3000.

In those things, an engineer is as important as a seatbelt, and to think that a "professional" team would leave him devoid of one for so long is really sad.

The fact that Mr Walkinshaw is allowed into Australia after his previous business exploits internationally to head a local company is not a nice portrayal of how to do business either really
Old 10 Dec 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1175997)   #13
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
The fact that Mr Walkinshaw is allowed into Australia after his previous business exploits internationally to head a local company is not a nice portrayal of how to do business either really
I agree entirely
Old 10 Dec 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1175998)   #14
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
i thought it was closer to two million..
we should all be proud we helped to fund JPM's way to F1..
Old 10 Dec 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1176067)   #15
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought Police

Quote:

HMS remains 100% owned by the General - Snappy Tom is an employee & his record in the job in question is unparalleled over 20-25 years.

The thought police do not have a great following in Aus JDI - the bloke is entitled to earn a quid.

PS Gossy in the V12 - thanks TWR.

Last edited by cavvy; 10 Dec 2004 at 11:55.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 22:12 (Ref:1176597)   #16
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
HMS remains 100% owned by the General - Snappy Tom is an employee & his record in the job in question is unparalleled over 20-25 years.

The thought police do not have a great following in Aus JDI - the bloke is entitled to earn a quid.
You clearly have misjudged my statement. If you knew any ex-Arrows employees, you might understand.

Strange how if a guy is as experienced and illustrious as you proclaim Tom to be, then one would wonder why he has to "vanish" down to Australia to find employment. Surely, there are 3 or 4 F1 teams lining up for his services, a couple of Le Mans Teams, half the NASCAR grid...... ......probably enough said, really.

Yep, not really a member of the thought police at all, just a reasonably clear and rational thinker who says if the reputation is so amazing, why the hell would you choose Australia? Clearly there aren't any other options perhaps.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 22:19 (Ref:1176599)   #17
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy

I have never considered myself part of the thought police, more just a reasonably clear and rational thinker.

You have obviously never spoken to any ex-Arrows employees who tend to paint a different picture. That aside, with a career, reputation, and pedigree that is so esteemed and illustrious over such a long period, then it seems odd that he has to "vanish" to Australia to seek employment.

With such an illuminary CV, surely one so competent and in demand has 3 or 4 F1 teams lining up for his services, has half the NASCAR grid trying to get to him first, has a voicemail box full of DTM and Le Mans teams providing offers, and even a WRC team who dared to ask if he was available.

But no, he has chosen to earn a dollar, rather than a quid. You have to wonder, really, Gossy aside, aye Cavvy
Old 10 Dec 2004, 23:24 (Ref:1176651)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Earning a quid is no issue... paying whatever proportion of that quid is owed to suppliers and contractors as and when that liability falls due, should also accompany that notion. It didnt in the TWR case in the UK....

Me personally, I wonder what Mr Walkinshaw can offer HSV these days, certainly the European reputation that precedes him now isnt very positive, and there is no huge roadcar development business in place to bring worlds best practice down here.... nor a racing squad to bring international thinking down under....
Old 11 Dec 2004, 00:10 (Ref:1176686)   #19
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Earning a quid is no issue... paying whatever proportion of that quid is owed to suppliers and contractors as and when that liability falls due, should also accompany that notion. It didnt in the TWR case in the UK....

You are mixing a few issues. Tom is entitled to have a job which HMS are providing him.

The company issues, certainly, but unless he is earning money, where with the best will in the world, will the money come from.

Would certainly be interesting to what really happened in the Arrows fiasco, but I think Toms experience with all sorts of saloon cars under all sorts of rules is THE best.

Last edited by cavvy; 11 Dec 2004 at 00:11.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 05:14 (Ref:1176788)   #20
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You clearly have misjudged my statement. If you knew any ex-Arrows employees, you might understand.

Strange how if a guy is as experienced and illustrious as you proclaim Tom to be, then one would wonder why he has to "vanish" down to Australia to find employment. Surely, there are 3 or 4 F1 teams lining up for his services, a couple of Le Mans Teams, half the NASCAR grid...... ......probably enough said, really.
Considering he is still an owner of HSV, and with HSV sponsoring the 'lead' Holden team, and therefore part of HMS, isn't he therefore looking after his business, putting it first ahead of other committments.

Walkinshaw has been trying since the early 90s to take over the running of the way Holden goes about motorsport, right back to when he wanted to be the man dealing with the privateers (worth remembering alot of the factory cars raced by TWR, Jaguars, Rovers etc.. were mostly factory efforts with very few privateers running the same cars as them) and homologation, this was just his latest attempt.

I can't see why this was a bad thing. I think it says alot that Uncle Tom, despite his troubles of the last few years, still wants to be involved in Australian motorsport, which he has been directly since 1988, and indirectly since 1984.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1176854)   #21
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long before Snappy Tom opens the gates for drivers from a far? 5 years ago you had to drag him out here, now he won't leave...Hmmmmm
Old 11 Dec 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1176916)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
What does he have to play with in the UK.... the automotive business is kaput, the football team is out of his hands.... all that seems to be left is HSV....
Old 11 Dec 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1176951)   #23
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I can't see why this was a bad thing. I think it says alot that Uncle Tom, despite his troubles of the last few years, still wants to be involved in Australian motorsport, which he has been directly since 1988, and indirectly since 1984.
I'd like to be involved in Australian Motorsport as well(especially if everything else I had went bust), but whether I'd do it any good is questionable.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 12:56 (Ref:1176962)   #24
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he is that good, how come the car he couldnt make 30 laps at the Mount, won the race two years later under Aussie inginuity instead of Euro ideas??????

And remind me how he did in his Aussie racing exploits as a driver??
Old 11 Dec 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1176979)   #25
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Tom's business expertise (however tarnished from the Arrows fiasco) should help Holden Motorsport.

As far as i remember, the Arrows saga began at the start of 2002 when they took on board Cosworth Engines and lost a sponsor (Red Bull from memory).. i think Pedro DeLaRosa took Red Bull to Jaguar with him when he swapped from Arrows to Jaguar at the end of 2001. During 2002 they had Frenzten (who was not a pay driver), and Bernoldi who was. Bernoldi's money was not enough to pay the increased engine bill at Arrows and Tom had to fork a couple of Million out of his own pocket just to race at the 2002 British GP.

To put it simply, the team folded because of overpriced underperforming cosworth engines, and the fact that the team was lacking sponsorship (only one pay driver)

I think Walkinshaw has international racing business experience which will help Holden grow with Tony Cochranes plan to take the series to every corner of the Globe.