Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Jan 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2614381)   #26
Bob West
Rookie

Bob West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Tom, in 2008 I finished a total restoration of a Fitzwilliam Team MGA,that was part of a team of four cars that raced at many events in 1957,including the 1957 Mille Miglia.I restored the car for its American owner,and our first event was the 2008 Mille Miglia,we were very fortunate to be part of a BBC 2 program about this event called James Martins Mille Miglia,and the MGA featured quite prominently.In 1957 LBL 301 was driven by Robin Carnegie.We have also restored the chassis of the Paul Fletcher Twin Cam,that a friend is restoring at the moment.Paul also drove under the Fitzwilliam banner.I am very interested also to make contact with any Team members.Kind Regards Bob West.
Old 16 Jan 2010, 20:22 (Ref:2614394)   #27
Bob West
Rookie

Bob West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Robin,my name is Bob West in 2008 I finished the rebuild of LBL 301 one of the works MGAs that was loaned to the Fitzwilliam team for the 1957 season.I have quite a selection of team photos from this period. Can you tell me if any of the 1957 team members are still alive,if so I would love to talk to them.I spoke with Amanda last year and promised to take LBL 301 down to her for a drive,possibly we could have a get together spring of this year? Kind Regards Bob.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2615722)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Warm welcome to you Bob, many thanks for your input, this sort of info is always very valued on Ten-Tenths and we look forward to hearing more from you going forward.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2640010)   #29
John Fielden
Rookie

John Fielden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohn Fielden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suggest you read FJHRA Newqsletter 152
Old 12 Aug 2011, 09:40 (Ref:2938843)   #30
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Bit more info requested if anyone can help.

Trying to find out if a Peter Simpson that raced for the Fitzwilliam team in the 50's and 60s (in MGA's, Healeys and a Griff).

I am interested in tracking down any pictures of his Griffith from the races in the above links.

He has most likley long since departed, but maybe someone know a son / daughter or anyone related to the Fitzwilliam team where we might source this?

Jelly
Old 10 Sep 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3133686)   #31
rblaksley
Rookie

rblaksley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fitzwilliam Team

I have only just stumbled onto this thread. My father, John Blaksley, raced with the Fitzwilliam team, including taking part in the 1957 Mille Miglia. He was close to Carnegie, Simpson, etc and I have various bits of remaining memorabilia.

I was quite recently contacted by the chap who has bought the MGA he raced. If anyone is interested to know more please feel free to get in touch with me.

[mod]I've removed this users e-mail address to prevent spam, if anyone wants to get in touch then send a Private Message or reply in this thread.[/mod]
Old 15 Sep 2012, 08:22 (Ref:3136211)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Warm welcome, Rblaksley. Interesting, how this thread keeps being resurrected. Obviously a story to be told here, so any more info about the team, its cars and drivers is very welcome.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3140841)   #33
John Fielden
Rookie

John Fielden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohn Fielden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Warm welcome, Rblaksley. Interesting, how this thread keeps being resurrected. Obviously a story to be told here, so any more info about the team, its cars and drivers is very welcome.
There is a previously unrecorded FitzWilliam Twin Cam which ran in the Nurburgring 1000kms in 1959. The registration no still appears on the DVLA data base but is showing as an MGA 1500. One wonders if the owner has it wrong or if he is so unclued up that he doesn't know what the car is. Anybody able to access details PM me and I will discuss it
Old 1 Jun 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3256531)   #34
Steve Dixon
Rookie

Steve Dixon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello
My name is Steve Dixon. I have acquired the MGA owned in 1956~1960 by Richard Fitzwilliam, your father I believe.
I would like to open a dialogue with you in the hope that it may be of some mutual benefit.
Thanks
Steve
Old 2 Jun 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3256647)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome, Steve.

Are you intending to race it, and if so, what spec is it in?
Old 2 Jun 2013, 17:12 (Ref:3256754)   #36
Steve Dixon
Rookie

Sir
I have the MGA once owned by Richard Fitzwilliam. UPO 929. Built Abingdon 1955 for him and used by him and Carnegie throughout 1956 & 1957. Tyrolite green with a blue nose for '57 as the core member of the Fitzwilliam Racing Team that raced everywhere, home and in Europe.
I hope I can reach you, his son, and that we can open a dialogue that can fill-in some gaps in knowledge about the car.
The car has survived as a running, driving car in surprisingly good condition. That said we have now dismantled it to refresh/rebuild in the above Fitz Team colours.
I hope to hear from you.
Steve Dixon
Old 2 Jun 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3256795)   #37
Steve Dixon
Rookie

UPO 929 Richard Fitzwilliam's MGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Welcome, Steve.

Are you intending to race it, and if so, what spec is it in?
John
The car is now dismantled and will be rebuilt over the summer, I hope.
It was raced by Fitz/Carnegie throughout 1956, finishing the Rheims 12hrs and winning the season-long handicap Autosport Trophy. For 1957 it was joined by three Works-loaned MGA's and these four cars were raced everywhere, here and in Europe. The 'Ring, Rheims (again) and Mille Miglia. And always 56/7 with heavy Works support as MG weren't allowed to race by BMC.
The aim is to refresh it and have it competing (it won't be a modsports racer) for 2014. A few circuits, maybe Le Mans but most likely Mille Miglia, naturally.
The spec will hopefully be as it has been since the early sixties, or late fifties at least. It runs a modified body, valance/undertray, cutaway rear shroud and bulkhead, with a long-range tank centre-filled through the boot as in 1957.
Suspension includes the very period Andrex front shock absorbers/anti-roll units and a rear panhard rod. The front disc brakes and rear telescopic shocks will be dropped and replaced with drums and adjustable lever-arm units.
The cylinder head is a very period HRG Derrington alloy crossflow item with twin Weber 42's.
The aim is that it won't be competitive other than with similarly period-spec cars.
The car will be finished in tyrolite green, as new and as all the Fitz Racing Team cars were but with the blue nose it ran while a part of the Team.
It must be mentioned that the car is in amazingly good condition and, until dismantling this year was a running, road-legal car. There is no sign of invasive corrosion in the chassis and the body is 99% clear as well.
A real tribute to the one-family owner, Len &Jon Hall, since Fitz (apart from one year 1960) who have kept it in such condition even as a daily-driver over 4 decades and raced it regularly throughout the 60's and early 70's.
All body/chassis numbers match.
I just need to talk to Fitz's family.
Steve Dixon
Old 3 Jun 2013, 10:33 (Ref:3257058)   #38
Steve Dixon
Rookie

Amanda
I see your post on this site and would welcome the chance to make contact. I have Richard Fitzwilliam's own MGA reg # UPO 929 that was the core of his racing efforts throughout 1956 with Robin Carnegie and then 1957 with the Fitzwilliam Racing Team.
The car has survived exceptionally well although we have just now dismantled it ~ only to rebuild it this summer.
I wonder if you would be happy to bring your knowledge and memories, perhaps, of the car to add to its story. An amazing story, in fact.
Thanks
Steve Dixon
Old 26 Jan 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3360124)   #39
Steve Dixon
Rookie

Fitzwilliam family

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W-FITZWILLIAM View Post
I am the son of Richard W-Fitzwilliam and if you require any information on him, his drives cars, MGA , Elva,and Lola teams and his entry at Le Mans or the Millia Millia please contact me
Robin W- Fitzwilliam
I would like to contact Robin W-Fitzwilliam or his sister? Amanda.
I have Richard Fitzwilliam's own 1955 MGA that he raced with Carnegie/Northesk in 1956/7/8 so successfully. It is about to be put back on the road at Goodwood Members Meeting 2014 and then the Mille Miglia in May this year.

I would love to have a dialogue with Fitz's family if that is acceptable. I've tried this Ten-Tenths route before and hope that this time it works!!

Steve Dixon
Old 27 Feb 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3372841)   #40
Paolobordini
Rookie

Paolobordini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing MGA in Italy

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000001661 StartFragment:0000000541 EndFragment:0000001645

Hi all
a friend of a friend in Italy has the following MGA which is quoted to have been driven at the Nurburgring in 1956 by Richard W. Fitzwilliam. This could be, if confirmed, an interesting addiction for the Fitzwilliam racing history. Apparently the MGA was imported in Italy sometimes in late 1956 by Fattori & Montani in Rome, at the time the official importer of British cars in Italy. The only number available is from the body n. 25706. The chassis n. was restamped with the Italian registration one. The original colour was tyrolite green. Doors, bonnets and mudguards are alluminium alloy. Mudguards appear to be shaped to allow a wider track, front and rear. The car appears to be modified in the past to remove some racing specifications. Any further piece of history, or suggestion is most welcomed as the actual owner is planning to restore the MGA to the original racing specs.
Octagonally
Paolo Bordini
Will try later to post some pics, sorry!
Old 19 Jun 2014, 15:20 (Ref:3423840)   #41
Steve Dixon
Rookie

Italian Fitzwilliam car

Paolo
Are you going to post the pictures of the car you say is the Fitzwilliam car?
The car you describe is probably not what you are saying is may be. The actual Fitzwilliam car exists in England and with complete provenance.
But what you have may be interesting so please, anything further you can supply or post would be worthwhile.
Steve
Old 19 Jun 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3423953)   #42
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Steve, how close is yours to being ready, because FISCAR is the place to race with it if you want liked minded people and cars which aren't hot!

Yes, Paolo, please post some pics; the car will have some historical interest, no doubt.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 15:26 (Ref:3622153)   #43
Mike Holt
Rookie

Mike Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UPO 929 - Steve Dixon

Hi Steve. Somewhat (a few years ) behind in reading your posts on the ex-Fitzwillaim MGA.

I was a compatriot of Len Hall, back in the sixties, when he and I used to do the same events together. In fact he looked after my car from time to time and carried out the rear suspension shock absorber modification (adjustable SPax units) to my `A'

My MGA was the V W Derrington/Godfrey development car for the HRG head, registered VHY 781. This car was also fitted with twin weber 40DCOE carburettors (rather than the 42s) and Len and I very often had needle matches at hill climbs and sprints in the 60s. There is a Motor Road Test of this car when it was painted red, but it was crashed by a scribe and subsequently repainted Iris Blue. I took delivery of it when I came out of the RAF in early 1961.

In those days Len lived in the outskirts of Croydon. if you are still in touch with him, send him my regards.