Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Jan 2007, 05:17 (Ref:1806798)   #1
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving down drivers salary packages ....

Been suggested Holdens logic in adding David Reynolds & Taz Douglas to the factory payroll (not HRT or HSV/Toll) is to increase the number of drivers in the pool leading to lowering the wages bill in line with the proposed spending cap.

Anyone else able to shed any light ??
Old 5 Jan 2007, 05:26 (Ref:1806801)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 2 drivers are working in marketing and in the workshop arent they?

This is where the slippery slope of the salary cap magic begins.... are they paid to work in these jobs, or to drive racing cars?

If a team also ran a development series operation, according to the current understanding of the rules, the drivers could be paid anything you like, and it would not be included in the team's TREC overhead bill.

So at the one development series round where they do not run with the main series cars, could we see perhaps someone like Russell Ingall lining up for a team, in his old car, and pick up $1.5m for the privilege? Then his main series team could pay him $10 per week for the main series drive. TREC thwarted. Game Over

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Jan 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1807348)   #3
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah Russell doesn't need to drive in the dev series, i saw him getting petrol at his local woolworths plus petrol store he had one of those fuel vouchers his was for $20000 per litre off and he had about 50 litres, not a bad deal i reckon.

hmm where can i get myself some of those vouchers
Old 5 Jan 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1807416)   #4
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

This is where the slippery slope of the salary cap magic begins.... are they paid to work in these jobs, or to drive racing cars?

If a team also ran a development series operation, according to the current understanding of the rules, the drivers could be paid anything you like, and it would not be included in the team's TREC overhead bill.

So at the one development series round where they do not run with the main series cars, could we see perhaps someone like Russell Ingall lining up for a team, in his old car, and pick up $1.5m for the privilege? Then his main series team could pay him $10 per week for the main series drive. TREC thwarted. Game Over

Would a leading main series driver be eligible to run in dev series??
Old 5 Jan 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1807445)   #5
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He could get paid $1 million a year to drive Targa Tasmainia in a Ford Focus XR5 and get paid $1 per round to drive V8 supercars ????????

Its true.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 22:33 (Ref:1807814)   #6
cavvy
Veteran

Ye of little faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

Game over - I'll put my money on the likes of Ross Oakley - he wouldnt have wasted his time on the VESA cap if he thought he could be outsmarted by amateurs - in the AFL the system deals with pros like Eddie McGuire.

The amateurs I refer to are thick on the ground in this forum referring to Rugby Union experience & alike to justify slipping & sliding past the spending cap. The people that put this together are professionals with score on the board - if you dont know about the AFL experience I'd suggest you do your homework.

The point of this thread is Holden expanding the driver pool of more than capable front runners so they can control the cost of wages.
It is not about journeyman drivers who run 15 plus in the likes of the Britek barges.

Arguably Larry has stepped down this path with no proven drivers - he would have one of the lowest driver wage bills. How many drivers would be prepared to take a pay cut to drive for Larry in the main game?

Last edited by cavvy; 5 Jan 2007 at 22:35.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 23:37 (Ref:1807858)   #7
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"How many drivers would be prepared to take a pay cut to drive for Larry in the main game?" - none, it seems
Old 6 Jan 2007, 00:02 (Ref:1807869)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Game over - I'll put my money on the likes of Ross Oakley - he wouldnt have wasted his time on the VESA cap if he thought he could be outsmarted by amateurs - in the AFL the system deals with pros like Eddie McGuire.

The amateurs I refer to are thick on the ground in this forum referring to Rugby Union experience & alike to justify slipping & sliding past the spending cap. The people that put this together are professionals with score on the board - if you dont know about the AFL experience I'd suggest you do your homework.

The point of this thread is Holden expanding the driver pool of more than capable front runners so they can control the cost of wages.
It is not about journeyman drivers who run 15 plus in the likes of the Britek barges.

Arguably Larry has stepped down this path with no proven drivers - he would have one of the lowest driver wage bills. How many drivers would be prepared to take a pay cut to drive for Larry in the main game?
Please dont confuse the Walkinshaw Performance/Holden Motor Sport group with rank amateurs. They have been flexing the rules for dozens of years on all manner of subjects, while their counterparts at Ford look on dreamily...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Jan 2007, 05:18 (Ref:1807947)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the whole thing is dumb. It's like high income taxes. People will spend so much money finding and executing loopholes the whole system will be a mockery.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1808003)   #10
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
also you will find that nick percat has been placed with TWPG ....

link

http://www.nickpercat.com
Old 6 Jan 2007, 09:16 (Ref:1808004)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long before HRT & HSVDT drivers are paid by Elfin?

Team Vodafone drivers are paid by VX Racing in England?

DJR drivers are on the payroll at Firstrock Home Loans?

etc etc....
Old 6 Jan 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1808021)   #12
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Well look into it further.

Toll puts Garth and Rick on the payroll there, and instead of paying the team, pays the drivers. All they have to do is drive one interstate route a year, and take the rest of the year off from Toll on Stress Leave.. a few bodgy doctors certificates from Dr Walkingshaw later, and hey-presto. No salary cap problem
Old 6 Jan 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1808026)   #13
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or Jason Bargwanna and Max Wilson employed by WPS as marketing gurus at $700,000 Pa. Then paying $500,000 for the drive at WPS racing!
Old 6 Jan 2007, 10:03 (Ref:1808029)   #14
wishbone
Racer

wishbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would think that the system will be like that used in the football codes, that the players, must submit copies of tax returns for auditing puposes, several players have been caught out, NRL Bulldogs got done big time for the exact bending of the rules you are discussing...
Old 6 Jan 2007, 12:12 (Ref:1808123)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can remember a story Matthew Ridge (Manly NRL player) once told of how he was put on the books of some brewery company organised by the team. He would enter the front of the building once a month, show his face and then continue out the back exit and be on his way.

oh and collect 50k p.a. for the effort.

Opening a can of worms this whole trec thing. I will be intruiged to see if the organisers have the balls to carry out penalties on the big boys, if one does break these rules
Old 6 Jan 2007, 22:52 (Ref:1808524)   #16
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might find that a lot of the drivers wives end up with jobs at Ford or Holden this year.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 6 Jan 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1808538)   #17
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think one of the reasons the spending cap came in is that VESA want to have more control parts. By cutting spending eventually control parts will be accepted when teams fathom out that this will help them fit under the cap. I think the drivers salaries may suffer a bit in the short term but will rise again when it all settles down. I also don't think the drivers salary reductions were the main reason the spending cap was bought in.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 23:24 (Ref:1808563)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Whats the main reason?,the fact a lot of the lower level teams are struggling for $$$,if it is may be this should be adressed first before pay cuts?.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 02:40 (Ref:1808635)   #19
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
How does one police drivers wifes/brothers/family members getting high paying jobs with sponsors ??

Next thing we find that Rick Kelly's mum is employed by Toll at $300k a year, and Mrs Skaife is the lunch lady at the Holden Plant for $1 million per year.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 02:59 (Ref:1808636)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it amazing that AFL teams have never thought of any of these ideas.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 03:28 (Ref:1808637)   #21
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
in the AFL the system deals with pros like Eddie McGuire.
You do realise the answers are written on the cards with the questions he doesn't actually know them all.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 03:40 (Ref:1808640)   #22
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder what the CEO of channel nine pays the Collingwood Football Club players to appear on the footy show. Also how did Nathan Buckley's wifes boutique shoe shop in Prahran get off the ground?
Old 7 Jan 2007, 07:46 (Ref:1808667)   #23
cavvy
Veteran

so simple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA
Wonder what the CEO of channel nine pays the Collingwood Football Club players to appear on the footy show. Also how did Nathan Buckley's wifes boutique shoe shop in Prahran get off the ground?
so simple - to avoid the cap - you (and many other genuine lightweights) are claiming a person like Ross Oakley is a goose.

Clubs like Carlton, Essendon & Melbourne have suffered for breaching the cap - millions of dollars plus their playing group.

I dont think Walkinshaw is silly enough to step out of line but if the majority of the Aus teams are as niave as many of this forum, teams will have to close the doors to pay the penalties.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 07:50 (Ref:1808668)   #24
cavvy
Veteran

Salaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
I think one of the reasons the spending cap came in is that VESA want to have more control parts. By cutting spending eventually control parts will be accepted when teams fathom out that this will help them fit under the cap. I think the drivers salaries may suffer a bit in the short term but will rise again when it all settles down. I also don't think the drivers salary reductions were the main reason the spending cap was bought in.
Much higher than journeyman drivers in the BTCC.

Can you imagine any of the drivers earning more than $150k pa in any other field?
V8 Supercar drivers have no value on the international scene.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 08:30 (Ref:1808673)   #25
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can you imagine any of the drivers earning more than $150k pa in any other field?
V8 Supercar drivers have no value on the international scene.

21 MARCOS AMBROSE 2228 22 0 2 4 $256,368....$US

I think young Marcos may beg to diff cavvy, that's just prize money!

You could say that about AFL players but it's not the point, IMO drivers wages are fine.