Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 7 Nov 2002, 16:33 (Ref:423913)   #1
Peter B

Ferrari - ground clearance?

I'm hoping one of you guys has or can point me in the direction of some info regarding ground clearance.

I've drooled over Ferraris as long as I can remember, and I reckon at a pinch I'll be able to stretch to a 308 GT4, maybe a GTB in the not too distant future.

My problem is that between my garage and the road I have an upwards sloping drive, the public footpath, followed by a steepish downward slope. My Alfa GTV can clear it at walking pace - 5MPH or above and it's the horrible steel on concrete scrape.

Hence I could do with some info - a beached Ferrari is the last thing I want!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 7 Nov 2002, 17:12 (Ref:423956)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've no idea what my ground clearance is but if you get a GTB (or better still a GTS) try not to get the deep front spoiler - they look rubbish too - if you're lucky some GTB/GTS are below £ 20 K - don't forget to join the Owners Club - we're a very friendly bunch
Old 8 Nov 2002, 08:53 (Ref:424428)   #3
Peter B

Hi Jos,

I've seen a few GTB under the £20K mark recently. Have to agree on that spoiler - the car looks much sleeker without. I've never been a fan of bolted on air dams, skirts and wings.

It's the owners clubs fault my Ferrari dribbling has been rekindled - plenty of you guys were at Donington for the BTCC/ GT/ F3 meeting in September.

If it's no trouble could you run a measuring tape around the car? -that's assuming you've got a 308 as opposed to something more exotic and out of my budget! Promise to buy you a beer or two one day!

I could do with knowing:
distance between floor and road
distance from hub cap to hub cap
front overhang from front hub cap

rear overhang doesn't look a problem.

Old 11 Nov 2002, 09:20 (Ref:426231)   #4
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
I haven't forgotten
Old 12 Nov 2002, 01:20 (Ref:426775)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ride hight on the 550/75 is adjustable, I know that much. (Thank god they've sorted out that Fiorano version out. That was getting embarassing)
Old 13 Nov 2002, 13:48 (Ref:427764)   #6
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
Its a brutal world we live in with this question sprayed all over the world ! It looks like Ferrarichat.com has answered your query - unless you are worried by the 3 in allegation - if you live in the SOuth East and want to try a physical thats something that cant be done on the ether !
Old 13 Nov 2002, 15:43 (Ref:427847)   #7
Peter B

Hi Jos,

That 3 inches sounds kind of scary - good news that some are the right side of 4 inches. Saves me smashing the pavement up with a pneumatic drill and having the council come after me!

I'm a Northerner (Hartlepool), so trying a physical is out of the question. When I've got the cash together and go looking at cars I'll just have to crawl around the floor with a measuring tape... no doubt that'll get me some funny looks!

Cheers,
Peter.

Old 13 Nov 2002, 16:19 (Ref:427866)   #8
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
Sound fibre glass GTB on Exchange & Mart's web site - know the car - £ 20 1/2 - need to decide re GTB vs GTS - a/c was an option but fairly necessary
Old 13 Nov 2002, 16:45 (Ref:427888)   #9
Peter B

Cheers Jos,

I'm looking at the middle of next year realistically before I can buy. Just wanted to check the potential pitfalls in advance so I had plenty of time to do something about them. Next step is to see how scary the insurance is... (hopefully OK, becuase it'll be a Sunday car, will do very low mileage and be kept in a garage with better security than Fort Knox!)

Cheers.

Old 13 Nov 2002, 17:10 (Ref:427900)   #10
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There WAS a rumour of a Ferrari SUV (á la Cayenne). I don't think that'll happen (thankyou god (Enzo))
Old 14 Nov 2002, 07:31 (Ref:428309)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I think if it did happen it would be branded a Maserati. Just as bad I know!
Old 23 Nov 2002, 22:32 (Ref:435503)   #12
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know, the Construction and Use Regulations for cars in the UK don't specify a minimum ride height- does that mean that you can take your local council to court for obstructing the roads with humps?
Just a thought....

Last edited by Bluebottle; 23 Nov 2002 at 22:33.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 13:17 (Ref:436364)   #13
Peter B

I saw a TVR (very briefly) last week as it zoomed past me - the exhaust can't have been more than two inches off the ground!

I bet that guy has panic attacks when humps are dead ahead!

Old 23 Dec 2002, 01:56 (Ref:455876)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I heard TVRs are very good for humps. Oh, sorry, you meant speed humps?
Old 23 Dec 2002, 02:16 (Ref:455886)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As you should know if you watched Top Gear, TVR's are for the - ahem - older gentleman with a rapidly ascending trouser line who probably thinks it'll be good for humps...

I could've sworn I just read the word stereotype somewhere...