Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Jun 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3738210)   #8651
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
Perhaps no MJ limit hybrid? You could run engine as generator and use only electric motors for drive. Such a engine would have to produce 15 kWh electiricty over a lap at LeMans, so it could run at constant 260 kW, that would make it a smaller engine.

I know the sound would be a constant annoying thing, but it would be something new not tried before.
It would be interesting to see a similar system to the Jaguar C-X 75 with electric motors in each wheel and gas microturbines as generator.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3738940)   #8652
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Story on Autosport End of McLaren GT?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 06:55 (Ref:3738948)   #8653
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Story on Autosport End of McLaren GT?
Nah, in the usual Autosport manner they've left an important bit of information to a single sentence at the end - if this happens, it's to move the project in house. Strakka were brought on to run the GT3 cars and it was said that was to prepare them for running McLaren GTE cars. So I don't see the project being binned.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3738960)   #8654
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
It would be interesting to see a similar system to the Jaguar C-X 75 with electric motors in each wheel and gas microturbines as generator.
And let's not forget that the gas turbine should run on hydrogen fuel in order to make it more environment-friendly.

Now then, I was wondering if there would be more privateer LMP1 cars for next year? Sure that having 3 more cars on the grid would be nice, but will they stay for 2019?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3738970)   #8655
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Nah, in the usual Autosport manner they've left an important bit of information to a single sentence at the end - if this happens, it's to move the project in house. Strakka were brought on to run the GT3 cars and it was said that was to prepare them for running McLaren GTE cars. So I don't see the project being binned.
Doesn't CRS own the IP?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3738971)   #8656
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure they own the IP. I imagine McLaren Automotive own the IP, they just license it to CRS. But I'm just guessing at that, someone here will surely know more. It'd be an odd time to end it, unless McLaren now have the facilities ready to do it in house.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3738975)   #8657
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not sure they own the IP. I imagine McLaren Automotive own the IP, they just license it to CRS. But I'm just guessing at that, someone here will surely know more. It'd be an odd time to end it, unless McLaren now have the facilities ready to do it in house.

McLaren Auto license to CRS, McLaren retain ownership of any IP

CRS are essentially contractors for McLaren.

This sounds like a mere formality, I imagine a lot of CRS staff will be retained in any new efforts, but under the McLaren Auto company...

If anything, I'd say this signals a future increase in GT activity, as the actual manufacturer want to be directly involved

Zak Brown said they are looking at GTE, and the addition of Dan Warmsely from Strakka points towards that end.

With the new 720s out, I imagine we will see that as the new GT platform soon, over GTE and hopefully GT3 too. I'd say 2019, question is could McLaren handle launching a GTE and GT3 at once as well as setting up a factory effort for the WEC

The 570s GT4 still has a plenty more life in it
Old 6 Jun 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3739092)   #8658
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
McLaren Auto license to CRS, McLaren retain ownership of any IP

CRS are essentially contractors for McLaren.

This sounds like a mere formality, I imagine a lot of CRS staff will be retained in any new efforts, but under the McLaren Auto company...

If anything, I'd say this signals a future increase in GT activity, as the actual manufacturer want to be directly involved

Zak Brown said they are looking at GTE, and the addition of Dan Warmsely from Strakka points towards that end.

With the new 720s out, I imagine we will see that as the new GT platform soon, over GTE and hopefully GT3 too. I'd say 2019, question is could McLaren handle launching a GTE and GT3 at once as well as setting up a factory effort for the WEC

The 570s GT4 still has a plenty more life in it
Retain the staff? I gather it is one of the most unhappy places on earth to work. This list of former staff is long......
Old 9 Jun 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3739760)   #8659
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't know how seriously to take this but John Dagys posted a tweet that there's potentially some ominous or weird news to come out of Le Mans in the coming days. He gives no hints as to what it is, so it should at this stage be taken with a grain of salt. But given the unexpected Audi Sport pull out of the WEC at the end of last season, and if the news is indeed bad or strange, there are some possibilities (note, I'm definitely not an optimist when it comes to the goings on in racing):

Toyota or Porsche scaling back or pulling out of the WEC

LMP2 top speeds getting capped

Strange goings on in GTE-Pro BOP

LMP1 privateer prospects taking an unexpected hit for next season

Goings on with the 2018 WEC schedule

Or it could just be John embellishing something he heard to make it more click-baity, since SC365 is funded, like many websites, by the number of clicks it gets based on ads/sponsorship.

As mentioned, I tend to be negative about stuff in racing because ever since I got access to the internet I've seen projects either come and go quickly or never materialize. And hence, it's hard for me to be optimistic about stuff in racing. But it could be something bad, something good, something indifferent, or nothing at all at this stage--the bad thing with rumors, especially when the person starting them gives no details.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3739761)   #8660
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I don't know how seriously to take this but John Dagys posted a tweet that there's potentially some ominous or weird news to come out of Le Mans in the coming days. He gives no hints as to what it is, so it should at this stage be taken with a grain of salt. But given the unexpected Audi Sport pull out of the WEC at the end of last season, and if the news is indeed bad or strange, there are some possibilities (note, I'm definitely not an optimist when it comes to the goings on in racing):

Toyota or Porsche scaling back or pulling out of the WEC

LMP2 top speeds getting capped

Strange goings on in GTE-Pro BOP

LMP1 privateer prospects taking an unexpected hit for next season

Goings on with the 2018 WEC schedule

Or it could just be John embellishing something he heard to make it more click-baity, since SC365 is funded, like many websites, by the number of clicks it gets based on ads/sponsorship.
Chassis BoP in LMP2 as a result of the Oreca domination on test day is a very real possibility as well.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 19:20 (Ref:3739777)   #8661
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah the LMP2 regs do actually allow for a BoP, it's just never been used. Given how it's played out, I could believe they'd do it.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3739790)   #8662
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
BOP in a way is useless because everyone's running the same engine. However, there's a fairly big descrepency in performance between Oreca and everyone else that's shown up at LM that hasn't really been evident elsewhere.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3739791)   #8663
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree, won't be surprised to see ligier, dallara and the lonely riley pushed down to 900 or 915kg. But honestly, very likely it won't change anything.

Dallara LD package is crap.... basically dallara lmp2 without any downforce...

Riley seems to don't have a LD package at all, having always been the slowest lmp2 in fast tracks like daytona. HD package is nothing special as well...

Guess ligier lmp2 is the only package as competitive as oreca, just a bit more draggy maybe... main difference is that top lmp2 teams use orecas
Old 9 Jun 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3739798)   #8664
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I'd exclude any kind LMP1/GTE manufacturer pullout or scale back: who would announce such bad news just before _the_ race? Not to mention that these sort of decisions are usually made in at the end of the year.

And here is the original tweet:

https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/873202632999010304

I have a feeling it’s going to be a very crazy news week at Le Mans, and not for good reasons. I sure hope I’m wrong.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3739800)   #8665
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think the 'feelings' of John Dagys should count for anything.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3739809)   #8666
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorchess View Post
I don't think the 'feelings' of John Dagys should count for anything.
He's gotten a little better since the "Ferrari lmp1" debacle
Old 9 Jun 2017, 22:52 (Ref:3739813)   #8667
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Must have missed that, but I still remember the 'Audi considering DPi' headline that had an article underneath it where it said 'Audi is not considering DPi'.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 00:42 (Ref:3739830)   #8668
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
He's gotten a little better since the "Ferrari lmp1" debacle
Lol nah
Old 15 Jun 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3741612)   #8669
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What are the odds that brands like Mercedes, Mclaren, Honda enter LM24 in 2020? Mercedes has already achieved everything possible, Mclaren are lacking identity outside of F1, and Honda look out of place in F1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 Jun 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3741619)   #8670
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
What are the odds that brands like Mercedes, Mclaren, Honda enter LM24 in 2020? Mercedes has already achieved everything possible, Mclaren are lacking identity outside of F1, and Honda look out of place in F1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McLaren are always talking about a GTE entry. That's apparently why Strakka have the works GT3 cars at the moment - to prep for that car being a GTE car in it's next generation.

Honda...with hybrids? They barely last 24 minutes.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3741623)   #8671
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
McLaren are always talking about a GTE entry. That's apparently why Strakka have the works GT3 cars at the moment - to prep for that car being a GTE car in it's next generation.

Honda...with hybrids? They barely last 24 minutes.
Honda, maybe. HPD? Infinitely better at it and importantly can admit oops, we need to try again
Old 15 Jun 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3741627)   #8672
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
HPD Would be awesome, but I imagine they'd need support to do the hybrids. That's if hybrids stick around of course. But I imagine the top brass would want it run out of Japan tbh. I'd think HPD would do a better job though.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3741633)   #8673
StueyB83
Rookie

StueyB83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well at this rate, at least they can bypass a number of FIA crash testing simulations.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 20:04 (Ref:3741896)   #8674
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Panoz has its own thread. Who'd have thought?http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150639

I'll move the spots from that over to there...
Old 20 Jun 2017, 20:32 (Ref:3745588)   #8675
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
IMSA possibly considering a PFV(Performance Factory Vehicle) class for Weathertech series? Sounds like wishful thinking to me, but the rumor's making the rounds with the contacts I talk to.

But I won't lie... I'd love to see it. I think that's the only class IMSA could add that could actually improve things. (not to mention a PFV class could make a great fallback should Stateside interest in LMP2/DPi falter)