Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Jan 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3707752)   #176
Lando
Rookie

Lando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What number would be considered healthy and what is realistically expected based on these official and unofficial news?
Old 30 Jan 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3707757)   #177
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
What number would be considered healthy and what is realistically expected based on these official and unofficial news?
I think we're looking at between 15 and 22 cars. 22 would be optimistic but something like 16-17 is perfectly realistic from where we stand today.

edit: Healthy is of course relative to what we've seen in recent years.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3707819)   #178
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obizzz View Post
I think we're looking at between 15 and 22 cars. 22 would be optimistic but something like 16-17 is perfectly realistic from where we stand today.

Even 15 is better than I would've thought, glad to hear it!

If there was any other news talked about I would appreciate if you posted it
Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3707846)   #179
Lando
Rookie

Quote:

I am looking at the STCC website and also collecting from what can be heard in the Swedish racing community, and 16-17 do sound like a stretch. A lot of if's and but's to come together in the coming weeks and months for that to be a reality but with the lack of any official test days I guess we will see come May.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3707857)   #180
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
and 16-17 do sound like a stretch
That's what I thought too before this weekend. Turns out quite a few cars have already been ordered but not officially communicated.

Sorry for being vague but since I don't want to spoil anyone's plans by telling more than I should.

There are teams not listed on the STCC site which have ordered cars and some of them more than one car.

Last edited by Obizzz; 30 Jan 2017 at 18:36.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:50 (Ref:3707865)   #181
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
What number of brands are we looking at?
Old 1 Feb 2017, 11:51 (Ref:3708352)   #182
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
What number of brands are we looking at?
Seat, Volkswagen, Audi and Honda so far.

A bit of a VAG fest but that's a TCR problem not a Scandinavian one.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3708362)   #183
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's a TCR problem not a Scandinavian one.
Absolutely.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 14:01 (Ref:3708386)   #184
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, that NIKA maybe come with the Opel...
Old 1 Feb 2017, 14:07 (Ref:3708393)   #185
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A bit of a VAG fest but that's a TCR problem not a Scandinavian one.
Not really, as in the past Sweden has seen lots of bespoke cars entered, in the ST days and S2000 days. Opel Astras, Mercedes C200s, Audi A4s, Volkswagen Sciroccos, etc.

The TTA rules did such damage. Look at the entry list for 2011! Richard Goransson, James Thompson, Gabriele Tarquini, Robert Dahlgren, Tommy Rustad, Colin Turkington, Jan Nilsson, Jason Watt, Rickard Rydell, Fredirik Ekblom, Tomas Engstrom and Fabrizio Giovanardi. I know not all those drivers did the full season, but the series had a phenomenal wealth of talent and depth on the grid. Last year there were barly 6 drivers worth being on the grid..
Old 1 Feb 2017, 15:21 (Ref:3708408)   #186
Lando
Rookie

It wasn't the TTA rules that did the damage. It was the split of one racing series into two with two different sets of regulations that did the damage where one series adopted the mixed N-GTC and S2000 regulation and went bust, and the other adopted TTA and survived. But the damage was already done by then, as it always is when you have a split of racing series.

It was a shame but that is history now. We've had 1 year of two different touring car championships followed by four years of the TTA-style championship. Now there is a new chapter, and as always it is good to be realistic and careful with the expectations. Come May we will know, anything before that are just different kinds of speculations.

It looks like there will be a grid of 10-16 cars, with many new teams and drivers and very few of the "big star names" with perhaps one or two or maybe three exceptions.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 15:39 (Ref:3708418)   #187
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Not really, as in the past Sweden has seen lots of bespoke cars entered, in the ST days and S2000 days. Opel Astras, Mercedes C200s, Audi A4s, Volkswagen Sciroccos, etc.
I don't see any regional championship using TCR creating their own cars to the ruleset.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3708424)   #188
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
I don't see any regional championship using TCR creating their own cars to the ruleset.
Isn't Lada making a TCR car just for Russian national championship?
Old 1 Feb 2017, 17:24 (Ref:3708433)   #189
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Isn't Lada making a TCR car just for Russian national championship?
2017 national, later maybe international.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3708675)   #190
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It wasn't the TTA rules that did the damage. It was the split of one racing series into two with two different sets of regulations that did the damage where one series adopted the mixed N-GTC and S2000 regulation and went bust, and the other adopted TTA and survived. But the damage was already done by then, as it always is when you have a split of racing series.

It was a shame but that is history now. We've had 1 year of two different touring car championships followed by four years of the TTA-style championship. Now there is a new chapter, and as always it is good to be realistic and careful with the expectations. Come May we will know, anything before that are just different kinds of speculations.

It looks like there will be a grid of 10-16 cars, with many new teams and drivers and very few of the "big star names" with perhaps one or two or maybe three exceptions.
You do know the backstory though? Why the series split in two?
Old 2 Feb 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3708754)   #191
Lando
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
You do know the backstory though? Why the series split in two?
I do yes.
Lot of hard feelings and emotions still around it with a lot of personal opinions depending who you ask.

But ultimately it came down to S2000 costs spiralling out of control, STCC allowing local homologations and exceptions, no obvious replacement to S2000 and the major teams preferring a cost controlled silhouette regulation instead of NGTC.

STCC refused. The four major teams set up their own championshiop (TTA) while STCC set up a NGTC/modified S2000 championship.
STCC failed, and adopted the exact TTA regulation the teams had proposed two years earlier and used in their own championship for one year.

But one year with two different championships had caused a big damage and crippled STCC as well as most of the teams financially.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3708972)   #192
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
You need to go through the international series balance of performance test to enter a new car model into STCC TCR and I don't see that happening for 2017.

That's what I meant with it being a TCR problem. The teams are of course likely to go for the tested solutions for now and that's basically Audi, VW, Seat and Honda.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3708977)   #193
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
I do yes.
Lot of hard feelings and emotions still around it with a lot of personal opinions depending who you ask.

But ultimately it came down to S2000 costs spiralling out of control, STCC allowing local homologations and exceptions, no obvious replacement to S2000 and the major teams preferring a cost controlled silhouette regulation instead of NGTC.

STCC refused. The four major teams set up their own championshiop (TTA) while STCC set up a NGTC/modified S2000 championship.
STCC failed, and adopted the exact TTA regulation the teams had proposed two years earlier and used in their own championship for one year.

But one year with two different championships had caused a big damage and crippled STCC as well as most of the teams financially.
You know more than I do for sure. Didn't the teams have to buy or get parts going through SBF? I think that was one of the major outrages towards the series and SBF were accused of trying to make money from the teams.

Anyway, the split killed the top racing series in Sweden as you say. For example a mechanic from RallyX said STCC was a support class of RallyX because it was so boring last year.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3708978)   #194
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
I do yes.
Yep, I see no point in trying to point fingers on who to blame for this. The good thing is that everyone is finally starting to look forward.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3708996)   #195
Lando
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
You know more than I do for sure. Didn't the teams have to buy or get parts going through SBF? I think that was one of the major outrages towards the series and SBF were accused of trying to make money from the teams.

Anyway, the split killed the top racing series in Sweden as you say. For example a mechanic from RallyX said STCC was a support class of RallyX because it was so boring last year.
No not really. That was just one of many things that circled around. STCC wanted, allegedely, to control all the sales of spare parts through them to get that revenue. Teams did not want that out of fear it would increase costs and take away control from them over their own budgets.

The TTA teams wanted to manage spare parts sales themselves in a common company which is what happened.

But just one of many subjects with conflicting opinions. The split damaged all though. And I would not agree with the RallyX opinion, because the state of Swedish RallyX is pretty sad and pathetic. It sure isn't a main class.

In the end the split was damaging and all parties involved in it is to blame for it.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3709002)   #196
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
No not really. That was just one of many things that circled around. STCC wanted, allegedely, to control all the sales of spare parts through them to get that revenue. Teams did not want that out of fear it would increase costs and take away control from them over their own budgets.

The TTA teams wanted to manage spare parts sales themselves in a common company which is what happened.

But just one of many subjects with conflicting opinions. The split damaged all though. And I would not agree with the RallyX opinion, because the state of Swedish RallyX is pretty sad and pathetic. It sure isn't a main class.

In the end the split was damaging and all parties involved in it is to blame for it.
Oh okay, thanks for clearing it up.

I know RallyX isn't a big series but STCC hasn't been either for a while when it is supposed be. I mean it is nicknamed as the royal class of motorsport in Sweden and last year was new low.

The introduction of TCR will hopefully bring back STCC to it former self. One-make series are boring in my opinion and it will be interesting to see new cars, drivers and teams the coming season.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3710469)   #197
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Richard Göransson linked with SEAT PWR team for 2017.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3712534)   #198
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
No Flash Engineering.
http://www.touringcartimes.com/2017/...ter-2017-stcc/
Old 16 Feb 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3712571)   #199
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PWR Racing has signed Robert Dahlgren: https://www.stcc.se/2017/02/16/rober...or-pwr-racing/
Old 16 Feb 2017, 12:10 (Ref:3712577)   #200
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.U. View Post
PWR Racing has signed Robert Dahlgren: https://www.stcc.se/2017/02/16/rober...or-pwr-racing/
A pleasant surprise.