Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 21 Jun 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3745926)   #1
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MRL's Facebook page is carrying a story that Barry Sidery-Smith has died. If you can access it the FB link is below:

https://www.facebook.com/MotorRacing...02088116510193
Old 21 Jun 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3745927)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Just heard about half an hour ago. such sad news
Old 21 Jun 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3745928)   #3
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad to hear that. I didn't know Barry very well, but I always assumed him to be one of the 'good guys'.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3745929)   #4
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Barry, as others have said, one of the good guys.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 21 Jun 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3745930)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
RIP Barry. As well has his own racing successes, hundreds of ordinary club racers got to race at Spa thanks to him. Sad day.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3745931)   #6
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
RIP Barry. As well has his own racing successes, hundreds of ordinary club racers got to race at Spa thanks to him. Sad day.
Well said Mike, I'm amongst those who will forever be indebted to Barry. RIP
Old 21 Jun 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3745932)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
A true legend . I meen a true legend . RIP .
Old 21 Jun 2017, 19:11 (Ref:3745933)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just heard on Twitter that Barry Sideways has passed away. He was a bit marmite for many folks but a lot wouldn't be racing without his influence and encouragement.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3745934)   #9
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Barry befriended the Tyler family when we started in the BCV8 championship, helped us get going and more. A true clubman and friend to many. He will be missed, another huge hole in the motor sport fabric.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 21:54 (Ref:3745935)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Done loads of races at Spa organised by Barry, sometimes I would just turn up in the hope I could get in and of course he sorted it. Rip Barry I know you always fancied Sue !!!!!!! Cheers
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jun 2017, 06:05 (Ref:3745925)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Barry Sidery-Smith

Posts copied across from 'Historic Racing Today'

RIP Barry 'Sideways' Sidery-Smith.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 22 Jun 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3745959)   #12
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh Barry.

Rest in peace ....... but keep your foot on the throttle, and don,t let any of us forget you.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 08:08 (Ref:3745967)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Did Barry ever get into the "modern" era regarding computers ? he always used fax machines when I had chucked mine away ! Cheers Barry never forgotten.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jun 2017, 08:51 (Ref:3745978)   #14
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We also did one of his British Sports and Saloon races at Spa a few years ago.
RIP Barry.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3746007)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Did Barry ever get into the "modern" era regarding computers ?
he just about managed to use a mobile phone and I think he was able to send the occasional text. He said to me that he had no need of a computer and he was right, he managed quite well without, bless him.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3746043)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Those of us at Spa in the Ardennes challenge this weekend will race in his memory. RIP Barry - and thanks! He opened our eyes to the fun and benefits of racing in Europe.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 18:40 (Ref:3746298)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am another who raced at Spa because of Barry Sidery-Smith.

Thank you sir.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3746302)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We signed on this morning at Spa under a picture of Barry. Poignant.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 23:45 (Ref:3746333)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I should have been there (without a broken conrod). I'm sorry I couldn't give respect by accelerating out of La Source
Old 24 Jun 2017, 12:55 (Ref:3746417)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Did Barry ever get into the "modern" era regarding computers ? he always used fax machines when I had chucked mine away ! Cheers Barry never forgotten.
Someone has made a memorial Facebook page for him
https://www.facebook.com/BSSmithMemorial/
Old 9 Sep 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3765695)   #21
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only learnt today that dear Barry had passed away. The reason for this is my being out of touch with
the sport due to my recent illness. I first met Barry in the early 80's when I had my MG MGB GT V8 and I have wonderful memories of my going to a meeting with him to Zolder in 1983 if I remember correctly.
My role as on quite a few occasions was to polish his car. A few more years down the road and it was a delight to photograph him at events such as the Goodwood Revival. Barry I will miss you. My sincere condolences to Pam and Heidi.