Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 13 Jul 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1962302)   #1
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone available to give a small talk on Sprinting??

Hi there,

I'm one of the organisers of the Retro Rides Show at Mallory Park on the 10th/11th and 12th of August. www.retro-rides-show.com

On the Saturday evening we are having some talks about getting involved in motorsport. During the day we have a RWYB sprint (being run by the BRSCC) in order to give people the chance to have a go (in the same way they get to have a go at drag racing regularly). I'd like to have someone do a talk on what it would take to get started in sprints and hillclimbs to encourage those that have had a taste to give it more of a go at other events.

I'd like someone that could cover what classes are available, where they run, which organisations govern the sport, which websites to read, basic car preparation (eg safety requirements), which licenses you need, and possibly an example of a budget entry...

Is anyone available/up for this? I think it could be a great way to get some more people involved in hillclimbs and sprints.

-David
Old 17 Aug 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1990909)   #2
BChild
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
BChild should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTWire
Hi there,

I'm one of the organisers of the Retro Rides Show at Mallory Park on the 10th/11th and 12th of August. www.retro-rides-show.com

On the Saturday evening we are having some talks about getting involved in motorsport. During the day we have a RWYB sprint (being run by the BRSCC) in order to give people the chance to have a go (in the same way they get to have a go at drag racing regularly). I'd like to have someone do a talk on what it would take to get started in sprints and hillclimbs to encourage those that have had a taste to give it more of a go at other events.

I'd like someone that could cover what classes are available, where they run, which organisations govern the sport, which websites to read, basic car preparation (eg safety requirements), which licenses you need, and possibly an example of a budget entry...

Is anyone available/up for this? I think it could be a great way to get some more people involved in hillclimbs and sprints.

-David
Damn - nil response....... what a shame unless there were some conversations behind the scenes

So good thread to drag up to the top

Anyway I went along with a lot of others it was a great day with a lot of cars driven by people who have not done anything sprint wise before as well as a few who knew the ropes

So a few pics

Arrived late Sat - Stressed and grumpy after traffic conspired to really rain on my parade and sign on for sprint was suspended due to being well subscribed and running behind schedule

Got a few pics of the track action while I tried to de-stress and unwind – The good think and I know this sounds funny but seeing all the drivers with huge grins on their faces actually helped me chill out a bit.

Not sure how retro this is but he always looked mega happy in the pics

Ballistic Imp

Red Victor in track action shocker (it was that sort of show!!!)

TR8 (crap pics)

Audi Quattro (small engine I think)

I reckon he had a good time

Blue mini

Kahki Bug (spl?)

First time out he's away

And then wasn't (Digital cameras require anticipation if not SLR and my excuse is Robin lost drive hence not all the car in frame) He didn't get it fixed till I was out on track so no more pics

Moggy

Anyway – Sign on was opened up again – Whoo hooooo – bought 2 sessions (Six tickets) but did say if I don’t get to use em all I’ll accept that as a time penalty for arriving late……..

So now the pictures stop and the videos start (no queue pics etc cos once I’d strapped my tripod to the roll cage with some handy cable ties it stayed there. Gave a cable tie to Robin to fix his little issue with throttle cable too – he then came back for a pair of cutters lucky really cos I carry very little stuff in my car
- Cable ties
- Duct Tape
- Screwdriver
- Side cutters
- Breaker Bar and 19mm socket
My Times
1st Session - 41.97 (shake down run)
2nd Session - 40.99 (no front end bite on hairpin 2nd)
3rd Session - 38.95 (hairpin 1st gear ooops on bus stop!!!)
4th Session - 40.60 (trying to impove on above = bin it so I didn't)
5th Session - 39.83 (better of the start)
6th Session - 40.51 (last run - showboating on the hairpin)
Anyway back to pics
Ready

Go

Going

Gone

Drifter in non drift shock

Full on drifting all round the circuit he did a 41 sec!!!!!

Thats it for my Sat Track Side pics apart from the in car video

Waiting for the group call down to the start

(Thanks to Samage off Retro rides for this shot)

My Times (and videos)
1st Session - 41.97 (shake down run)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBPaA0vbiY
Notes – too much wheelspin of the line and the hair pin I tackled in second and just ran so wide with no front end grip at all

2nd Session - 40.99 (no front end bite on hairpin 2nd)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8eXoF9wNyw
Notes – bit less wheel spin of the line and the hair pin I again tackled in second but trail braking to try and load up the fronts (the car didn’t like that at all lots of bouncing from the front end and judder) and still ran wide.

3rd Session - 38.95 (hairpin 1st gear ooops on bus stop!!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_PmZcv7A20
Notes – Almost no wheelspin of the line. Hair pin got the first attempt at 1st gear back end out to keep front end it. As a result I was on the limiter way to long before the change to second for the bus stop which was where I had a little heart flutter captured by goaferboys stunningly shot

For all the people who just want to look at the in car footage of the "moment"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFBRRqm6vbs

4th Session - 40.60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1RZUkbGYZI
Notes - trying to impove on above would result in a bin it moment so I didn't. Pleased with launch but feeling less inclined to be silly brave so tried to tidy up the hairpin but still using 1st. Overall too much time spent on the limiter!!!

5th Session - 39.83 (better of the start)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlvpprjZg9o
Notes - Good of the line, hairpin better bus stop untidy but my 2nd fastest run

6th Session - 40.51 (last run - showboating on the hairpin)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6obMHvyhI
Notes last one of the day and pleased with the launch - too sideways on the hairpin

Thats all folks
Old 17 Aug 2007, 12:51 (Ref:1990932)   #3
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Oh yes there was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChild
Damn - nil response....... what a shame unless there were some conversations behind the scenes

So good thread to drag up to the top
I did pass the details onto Paul Parker who is the British Sprint Championship Co-ordinator, plus he is a fully qualified Clerk of Course. Paul attended the event and did give a talk on sprinting at around six o'clock in the evening which went on for about an hour.

Pity but you must have missed it!
Old 17 Aug 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1990947)   #4
BChild
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
BChild should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
I did pass the details onto Paul Parker who is the British Sprint Championship Co-ordinator, plus he is a fully qualified Clerk of Course. Paul attended the event and did give a talk on sprinting at around six o'clock in the evening which went on for about an hour.

Pity but you must have missed it!
I did blast......

Overall it was a good show and the VSCC practice & racing on the Sunday was stunning
Old 18 Aug 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1991191)   #5
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed one or two not wearing helmets
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1991336)   #6
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
I noticed one or two not wearing helmets
Paul Parker said that there was one driver taking part who was wearing only SHORTS! Whilst another driver had the shoulder straps of his 4 (or 6) point harness draped over his shoulders but they were not fastened up!

Old 18 Aug 2007, 14:28 (Ref:1991362)   #7
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Paul Parker said that there was one driver taking part who was wearing only SHORTS! Whilst another driver had the shoulder straps of his 4 (or 6) point harness draped over his shoulders but they were not fastened up!

Shouldnt be allowed......
Old 18 Aug 2007, 21:30 (Ref:1991553)   #8
bentimingstrut
Rookie

Slovakia
bentimingstrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
odd

Seems like a wierd type of sprint.Was it sanctioned by the M.S.A Blimey I have been seriously reprimanded for having my visor up before now.l.o.l
Old 18 Aug 2007, 23:42 (Ref:1991607)   #9
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentimingstrut
Seems like a wierd type of sprint.Was it sanctioned by the M.S.A Blimey I have been seriously reprimanded for having my visor up before now.l.o.l

With no helmets or safety harnesses do you really think it was sanctioned ??
Old 19 Aug 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1991982)   #10
bentimingstrut
Rookie

Slovakia
Maybee the M.S.A could use these photos for training purposes on how not to run a motorsport event.Blimey the guy in the Sierra has got his head hanging out of the window and him in the spitfire has just got a teeshirt on .lol
Old 20 Aug 2007, 07:53 (Ref:1992523)   #11
HoTWire
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChild
Paul Parker came and did a talk, thanks to the info passed onto him from here.

In answer to the safety questions. The actual 'sprint' was run by the BRSCC's Cruisesport arm (as they were the only people interested in getting the public involved in a Run What You Brung sprinting style event). I was under the impression that everyone would require a helmet, in fact we got people to bring helmets along even if they weren't going out on the track for that very purpose.

I was also suprised (I found out after the fact) that they let a few people run without doing seatbelts up properly and with windows open. We'll be making sure more precaution is taken in future.

That having been said. The event was a great success and a number of people that did the 'sprint' (it was very short), have already started to look towards getting more involved and either doing trackdays or attending proper sprinting events with an eye to getting their national B license.

The talk in the evening was relatively well attended and detailed the extra equipment needed to take part in an MSA sanctioned sprint hopefully it will bring over a few converts to fully MSA sanctioned events.

This was the first time we'd ever done this event (it was also a car show) so we've learned a lot year one.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 09:52 (Ref:1992596)   #12
blackx
Veteran

England
Good to hear advice has been taken on board and hopefully next time the event is run it will be bigger and better (and safer )
Old 21 Aug 2007, 00:50 (Ref:1993255)   #13
bentimingstrut
Rookie

Slovakia
Thank god nobody was injured or worse.Maybee it should have been a long talk on sprinting before the event rather than a small talk at 6pm. lol
Old 21 Aug 2007, 07:29 (Ref:1993311)   #14
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
I think this was a great idea to get more people interested in speed events.

Perhaps a bit more thought could have been taken with regards to personal safety but i'm pleased that our safety ideas have been heard and will hopefully be enforced next year.

I was a bit surprised to see the sprint was run by the BRSCC and safety didn't seem to be an issue.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 07:36 (Ref:1993316)   #15
HoTWire
Racer

We'll be more on the ball next year. This was the first time we'd done an event, it was also the first time anything like a RWYB sprint had been done as far as we know. So there were a few teething issues. However all will be solved next year.

Hopefully over time this sort of thing will prove to be a feed into speed events and other motorsports. In the same way RWYB has fed drag racing over the last few years.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 10:45 (Ref:1993470)   #16
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Another View

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTWire
We'll be more on the ball next year. This was the first time we'd done an event, it was also the first time anything like a RWYB sprint had been done as far as we know. So there were a few teething issues. However all will be solved next year.

Hopefully over time this sort of thing will prove to be a feed into speed events and other motorsports. In the same way RWYB has fed drag racing over the last few years.
One way to help pave the way for people to move from the RWYB culture is maybe to include a batch to proper racing cars - something for people to aspire to? This could include a selection of Road Modifieds, Mod Prods, Sports Libre, and Single Seaters. Also with the "regular" competitors there to chat to and also to lead by example, especially w.r.t. safety, it may be even more helpful in grabbing new blood for the various Speed Championships.

Old 21 Aug 2007, 11:10 (Ref:1993497)   #17
blackx
Veteran

England
A sort of invited classes section so as there is a glimpse of what branches of the sport are available ?

Good idea..
Old 21 Aug 2007, 12:12 (Ref:1993567)   #18
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
A sort of invited classes section so as there is a glimpse of what branches of the sport are available ?

Good idea..
Correcto mundo Blackx. Especially when the newbies can check their times against some experienced competition.

Old 21 Aug 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1993663)   #19
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
One way to help pave the way for people to move from the RWYB culture is maybe to include a batch to proper racing cars - something for people to aspire to? This could include a selection of Road Modifieds, Mod Prods, Sports Libre, and Single Seaters. Also with the "regular" competitors there to chat to and also to lead by example, especially w.r.t. safety, it may be even more helpful in grabbing new blood for the various Speed Championships.

Nice idea Sprinty.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 14:50 (Ref:1993696)   #20
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
Nice idea Sprinty.
Thanks; and if the organisers want to do this all they need to do is get in touch and I'll try to put it together for them!

Old 21 Aug 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1993972)   #21
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent idea Sprinty.

BTW How does RWYB work in terms of competition, e.g. is it split into groups based on practice times or predicted times with some way of stoppng sandbagging?
Old 22 Aug 2007, 07:28 (Ref:1994287)   #22
HoTWire
Racer

Hello,

We had a couple of competition cars going round the sprint, one invited (it says Nigel Colewell on the results sheet but I thought it was Kevin Cole!?) and a couple that were there for the show, Paul Norris being one of those.

I think next year we'll separate non-road going cars out into a separate group. Its not really about them on the track, but they are a great benchmark (as suggested). We would definatly like more next year, we'll start organising some time after October, so I'll probably be back on here begging again

Here are our results :
http://www.retro-rides-show.com/?ID=11

You can see how our classes divided up. We didn't go too deep, its really more about the driver and a bit of friendly competition, than places and prizes etc. We put the "classes" in place just for people to bench mark against each other a bit.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 08:08 (Ref:1994311)   #23
blackx
Veteran

England
I notice there are classes for cars running nitro
Old 22 Aug 2007, 11:52 (Ref:1994454)   #24
HoTWire
Racer

Quote:
I notice there are classes for cars running nitro
Yeah, we wanted to reflect the RWYB drag racing classes, as it happens no one used any nitros they had in their car. There is nothing to stop you having nitros in a road going car. So if we are going to have road going cars on the track, then there is the possibility of them having nitros installed, even if they aren't using it.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1994467)   #25
blackx
Veteran

England
It hasnt been allowed on hills and in sprints for some time now..

Not something I'm used to.

Could be very unstable in the event of a fire