Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Apr 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3053010)   #26
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TBH you could possibly argue that point regarding MGB GT and MGB roadsters. I'm trying to think of another car that would fit that same problem, ie basically the same car but non V8 engine in one body style. Is the MG unique in that? I can't see anyone having a gripe about that on the day - unless it ****es past me like a rocket on lap 1
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 3 Apr 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3053021)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well in truth MGB GT V8 was built by the factory in relatively high numbers. But as I said no roadsters were built and thus they don't meet Al's criteria. Likewise a GTD 40 wouldn't. I can see the difference between a kit car and the roadster but the point is somewhat moot if the main reason is to have V8s on the grid.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3053042)   #28
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My 40 was/is NOT a kit car and was genuinely registered in 1972. Would have been courteous to have had a reply though especially as the conversation had been quite positive.

Please don,t let this thread get messy about replicas. It is going to be a fantastic and long lived series which is going to grow, and i think, followed by the public if promoted well.

-----------------------------------------------------
As a matter of fact the now defunct GTDevelopments in Poole actually made over 400 GTD40s.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3053055)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
It is going to be a fantastic and long lived series which is going to grow, and i think, followed by the public if promoted well.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3053080)   #30
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If they were the same MGB's that were in the inaugural race last year I am sure they were GT's I think you may find thats just a typo Not sure though. I would add that I believe its an invitation series so at the end of the day its up to the organisers what they allow in.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3053118)   #31
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
modes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And

Lol, perhaps the rules aren't that clear. Not a criticism just picking up on Al's point about kit cars. There were no MGB roadsters built by the factory with a V8.

Enjoy the event.
Hi Peter,
Where does it say it's a roadster.... I could have another one! When I bought it they told me it was a genuine 1965 car! Well, bits of it are... Found out it's history when a certain Mr Mallett introduced himself to me at Spa in 2006.

Any way, I am looking forward to Snetterton, entered both of Bernie's races and in answer to Moosehead, if only it would rush by a Camaro I would be over the moon! Only has a standard engine so not much chance at Snetterton but maybe on the tighter circuits.

Can't imagine what the start will sound like, glorious I would think.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 06:47 (Ref:3053275)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by modes View Post
Hi Peter,
Where does it say it's a roadster.... I could have another one! When I bought it they told me it was a genuine 1965 car! Well, bits of it are... Found out it's history when a certain Mr Mallett introduced himself to me at Spa in 2006.

Any way, I am looking forward to Snetterton, entered both of Bernie's races and in answer to Moosehead, if only it would rush by a Camaro I would be over the moon! Only has a standard engine so not much chance at Snetterton but maybe on the tighter circuits.

Can't imagine what the start will sound like, glorious I would think.
I wondered when you'd rock up.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 06:52 (Ref:3053278)   #33
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Modes see you there! Moose is one of those Ford Mustang chaps incidently so you may yet still go rushing past lol!
Old 4 Apr 2012, 08:03 (Ref:3053293)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkyPics View Post
Hi John / Everyone ,

Has HGTCC finished , as there are no dates for 2012? If it has it's a shame , always enjoyed after BTCC / GT & F3's.
The new SRGT series has a fair collection of the cars that ran in the Heritage.
Yes it is a shame as I ran in the series from the start until my enforced lay off.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Apr 2012, 17:44 (Ref:3053570)   #35
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Hi Modes see you there! Moose is one of those Ford Mustang chaps incidently so you may yet still go rushing past lol!
Cheeky sod f
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 4 Apr 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3053583)   #36
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
TBH you could possibly argue that point regarding MGB GT and MGB roadsters. I'm trying to think of another car that would fit that same problem, ie basically the same car but non V8 engine in one body style. Is the MG unique in that? I can't see anyone having a gripe about that on the day - unless it ****es past me like a rocket on lap 1
The only other car that springs to mind as being (sort of) in the same situation as a converted MGB V8 would be the TR8 (or TR7 V8).

I'll wager that few, if any, of the 'TR8' racecars in this country are actually genuine factory built TR8's - mine included. Most are converted TR7 coupes, as the vast majority of TR8 production was exported to the US/Canada - and most of 'em were soft-tops anyway. So, most TR7's with a V8 are likely to be just that - i.e. not a TR8.

But to my mind, it doesn't matter. It's no different from building a V8 Mustang or Camaro from a road car shell that began life with a six-pot fitted is it? The point is that the end result is a racecar that was available as a road car, with that body shape and with that same V8 fitted.

I agree that in the case of an MGB roadster, that was never the case as there weren't any factory built V8 roadsters - but aren't most people with one of these going to use the GT anyway for racing? Surely its stiffer shell and better protection would be advantageous for a racecar.

Just my ten bob's worth. Which ever way you look at it, it's a great line-up for the first race, and I think I'm going to be sorely tempted to join in the fun when the series ventures a bit closer to home! The noise of a grid full of V8's blasting away is going to be glorious! Enjoy it everyone.

Last edited by Paul D; 4 Apr 2012 at 17:57. Reason: typo!
Old 4 Apr 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3053597)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I agree and wish the event success. I've known the car in question since around 1988 ish, and I was just being a bit mischievous with Al and his take on the "regs". However in all seriousness if the criteria is V8 then originality matters not a jot. Nor, in my opinion, does replica or kit cars.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3053633)   #38
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed on that Peter. And I didn't know that you knew the actual car in question! So I guess it is indeed a roadster then?

Re the kitcar/replica situation: it's been discussed on here many times previously, and I'm sure it will be again - in fact, it is being, right here, right now!

I know GT917 takes exception to his cars being branded as kits or replicas - I can't comment, as I haven't seen them, but I don't blame him, as the terms 'replica' or 'kitcar' bring with them a certain stigma in many people's minds. But I guess the point is where you draw the line. You could argue that my car (a TR7 V8, not a TR8) should be excluded as it's not an original car - likewise the aforementioned MGB. I guess it's ultimately for the organisers to decide where that line is drawn.

Maybe this is the point: if I take a TR7 or MGB (GT) shell, and assemble it with the correct running gear and engine, then I can produce a car that's virtually indistinguishable from the factory built item, and it may indeed even use the same parts as an original. Even an expert may have difficulty in pointing the finger and saying "That's not a real TR8/MGB GT V8." But achieving that level of authenticity with something like a GT40, Cobra, or other exotica, whilst possible, is extremely difficult and expensive - and few have managed it, of cars that I've encountered.

Where that leaves you if you're one of the few that have managed it, I'm not sure!
Old 4 Apr 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3053648)   #39
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

I know GT917 takes exception to his cars being branded as kits or replicas - I can't comment, as I haven't seen them, but I don't blame him, as the terms 'replica' or 'kitcar' bring with them a certain stigma in many people's minds.
Please ,please, please i don,t take exception to whatever you want to call my cars but they are/were not kits.

Lets forget all about my 40 not being eligible and just concentrate on what is in and what is going to be one helluva series.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3053651)   #40
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just for information, as I really don't know, what was the origin of your GT40 and 917?
Old 5 Apr 2012, 07:00 (Ref:3053882)   #41
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Hard work, a few skills, little money and many years of determination.

Much like everyone else on here who has built or restored automobiles.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3053885)   #42
DianeH
Racer

United Kingdom
Retford
DianeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
Absolutely brilliant!! Just can't wait to hear them all once again as the Red lights go out at the rolling starts if the first of Bernie's V8 races last October is anything to go by.

Several cars were out at the CSCC testday on Thursday and looked and sounded superb.

Well done to Bernie and all the competitors for making this series come together.

Look forward to seeing you all on the 14th / 15th April.

Terry
Terry you not getting all excited again are you
Old 5 Apr 2012, 07:21 (Ref:3053890)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Whilst I genuinely like the Camaros and Mustangs (my preference is the Ford), there's something about a full on, purpose built special with a stonking great V8 that sets the blood rushing. In that respect the Cheng Lim RAM (or is it DAX?) Cobra really takes some beating. Effecively it's an engine with a few bits of Cobra shaped body around it. And the noise!

But I respect the CSCC's position here which is one of "classic cars" rather than one-offs and specials (not talking about Gt917). And, although my opinion doesn't matter, I really see no harm in the Roadster V8 or Paul's TR7/8. Especially if one considers that these cars have, to a greater or lesser extent, provided the backbone of club motorsport for many years.

As an aside BLMC produced one Group 5 MGB GT V8 for international competition. It's owned by Malcolm Beer and was campaigned well into the 90s. It would make a good addition to this grid.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3053948)   #44
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Hard work, a few skills, little money and many years of determination.

Much like everyone else on here who has built or restored automobiles.
And bloody lovely jobs they both are as well!
Old 5 Apr 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3053949)   #45
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Whilst I genuinely like the Camaros and Mustangs (my preference is the Ford), there's something about a full on, purpose built special with a stonking great V8 that sets the blood rushing. In that respect the Cheng Lim RAM (or is it DAX?) Cobra really takes some beating. Effecively it's an engine with a few bits of Cobra shaped body around it. And the noise!

But I respect the CSCC's position here which is one of "classic cars" rather than one-offs and specials (not talking about Gt917). And, although my opinion doesn't matter, I really see no harm in the Roadster V8 or Paul's TR7/8. Especially if one considers that these cars have, to a greater or lesser extent, provided the backbone of club motorsport for many years.

As an aside BLMC produced one Group 5 MGB GT V8 for international competition. It's owned by Malcolm Beer and was campaigned well into the 90s. It would make a good addition to this grid.
Just one small correction Pete, this is not a CSCC series its Bernies own and we will be on at other clubs events as well including I believe AMOC.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 10:07 (Ref:3053965)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Fair point.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3054030)   #47
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
modes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Hi Al

I think you may be sharing the drive with another (secretive) Mustang owner.

Bernie told me about the Series he was proposing last Autumn when I was racing at the 6 hours meeting. He's done incredibly well to get such a response. I have raced with Astons and American heavy metal before but not in such numbers, very exciting.

I promise I'll leave my flat cap at home and have already started negotiating to rent a Baseball Cap!

I'm expecting to see the Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Astons etc three times, at least, as they disappear away, then as they reappear to lap me and then clear off again! Hopefully just those three times.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3054031)   #48
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 5 Apr 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3054039)   #49
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Don't worry Modes I saw the fast ones twice the last time out and that was only a 20 minute race and I was in my faster black car with mch better Toyo Tyres than the old Dunlop Historic things on the old girl! Mind you as you say we do have a Mustang owner onboard this time who reckons he can pedal a bit.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3054045)   #50
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Just to wet your appetites and remind you how good it was here is some incar from last year from the seat of my IROC-Z.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZonjiyF4Y

and part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlF9Fzar5Zk