Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Dec 2015, 05:47 (Ref:3595384)   #1
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton - How popular is he?

Looking at some comments here:

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ham...16403--f1.html

Quite a few are not too keen ..

Personally I like him and forgive him at times.

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 4 Dec 2015 at 05:54.
Old 4 Dec 2015, 09:25 (Ref:3595420)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Personally I like his style. He races with his heart on his sleeve and he doesn't hide his emotions, so you always know where you are with him. I feel it would be duller without him
Old 4 Dec 2015, 09:47 (Ref:3595428)   #3
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The sport has always had characters and Hamilton is one the modern ones, I may feel he should have the devotion to driving that JYS always exhibited but it is up to him.

Great drivers will always compete and heaven forbid that we have grid full of clones. Innes Ireland could teach him a bit about party time but he is from way-back, can't just think of recent examples but others will. Team managers will discuss this matter with him and have already said the tension between the drivers is a distraction to the team so we will see changes.

The racing gets a bit boring sometimes so we need to add some other colour

Personally I like him and like to see him win but we should not see domination such as we had with the Schumacher/ Ferrari or Vettell / Red Bull combinations because it turns people off. You watch a race to see who wins and it needs variety if it is to retain interest
Old 4 Dec 2015, 11:16 (Ref:3595442)   #4
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Great drivers will always compete and heaven forbid that we have grid full of clones.
The grid is all the better for him. He provides, without intention, the comic relief.
Old 4 Dec 2015, 11:56 (Ref:3595447)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He's a bit of a man child really, but a fantastic driver. Would rather have him than another generic driver.
Old 4 Dec 2015, 11:59 (Ref:3595448)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The question was 'Is he popular?'

I don't think there is much doubt that he is, even though personally I dislike him.
Old 4 Dec 2015, 13:07 (Ref:3595455)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The question was 'Is he popular?'

I don't think there is much doubt that he is, even though personally I dislike him.
I find him generally quite irritating. All of his Senna references are especially irritating (you aren't Senna and never will be Lewis) - the Brazil GP was the worst example of this). All his 'gangsta' posturing is utterly ridiculous as well, the mean streets of Stevenage? Give me a break. It's all a little bit too close to Ali G to be taken seriously isn't it?

Great driver but a bit of a knob.
Old 4 Dec 2015, 13:55 (Ref:3595468)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The yahoo article is unflattering so the comments will fall in line with that.

I do like him but he does alot of clowning around and says alot of comical stuff without any self awareness.
Old 4 Dec 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3595489)   #9
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I find him generally quite irritating. All of his Senna references are especially irritating (you aren't Senna and never will be Lewis) - the Brazil GP was the worst example of this). All his 'gangsta' posturing is utterly ridiculous as well, the mean streets of Stevenage? Give me a break. It's all a little bit too close to Ali G to be taken seriously isn't it?

Great driver but a bit of a knob.
I do hope this thread does not degenerate like the New Senna thread did, sorry but I am a bit old fashioned I suppose
Old 4 Dec 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3595490)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given how quick people were to assume Mercedes had engineered Rosberg's recent wins, I would say that Hamilton is quite popular!

Richard
Old 4 Dec 2015, 17:27 (Ref:3595500)   #11
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent driver one of the best ever.

Very dislikeable as a person which I can only put down to having seemingly zero childhood so he is kind of messed up hence the fragile mental state when the slightest thing goes wrong and the petulance comes out (e.g. Monaco this year).

He whines a lot when he doesn't need to - he's reminded me so much of Mansell of late. He isn't in any way team focussed. I doubt he's particularly popular with his mechanics. I don't believe he's popular with his peers.

You don't hear Rosberg in the media every 5 minutes having digs at Lewis - can't say the same for Lewis towards Nico. Just in the last few days, Lewis on that 'Nico complains a lot.' Lewis never stops moaning - have a look at yourself mate. He was straight out after Wolff's hint to drop one of them that there's no problem. Just shut up Lewis! And show some grace when your team mate beates you. You don't have to be bezzie mates but show some class.

His focus is questionable - after Austria this year he asked to be excused from the (rare) post race test because he was too tired - but not too tired to head straight to Paris fashion week or whichever one it was to be partying all night every night. I like sports people to be relentles and focussed on the job. There's plenty of time to fool around when the career is over in the mid - late 30's when still young. Hamilton for all his living the dream rubbish will finish F1 and not do any other form of motorsport. He doesn't do it anymore because he loves it because he doesn't.

The constant Senna worship is very annoying.

With all his tats and silly clothes, he's like a premier league footballer in the wrong sport.

Whatever happened to the kid who was 'living the dream.' He was a bit annoying then because he had (and still has) zero real personality but he's a total plank now.
Old 5 Dec 2015, 02:32 (Ref:3595600)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yawn ...... As soon as I saw this thread, I thought here we go another excuse to put the boot in yet again ..

You are entitled to your opinion, keep
It polite, otherwise we will close it down ..
Old 5 Dec 2015, 04:03 (Ref:3595619)   #13
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lewis seems to be loved by many, disliked by a lot with very few in the middle. Doesn't bode well for the future of this thread.
Old 5 Dec 2015, 06:50 (Ref:3595626)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=bauble;3590761]I think you are all being really unfair, the commentary on BBC with Coulthard and Edwards kept me on the edge of my sofa!

"Nico's on pole, but LEWIS can still win from second on the grid."

"LEWIS will get a better run down the inside into the first corner."

"LEWIS will get DRS if he is a second behind NIco."

"Ricciardo has made an early pit stop, this could help LEWIS"

[COLOR=black][FONT%3
Old 5 Dec 2015, 09:38 (Ref:3595648)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Yawn ...... As soon as I saw this thread, I thought here we go another excuse to put the boot in yet again ..

You are entitled to your opinion, keep
It polite, otherwise we will close it down ..
Jeremy, lock the door, pull down the shades, turn out the lights, this thread can only go down hill.

Only a fool would deny that Lewis is popular, he is admired for being the first black World Champion, for his celebrity lifestyle. for his 'aggressive no-holds barred' driving, for his rise from humble origins, and probably with dog lovers for his two companions.

I think we can all take that as a 'given'. Anything else will be personal opinion, and we have had plenty of that, not least from myself.

With all respect to the original poster, to ask is he popular, can only invite discord.

Maybe a 'What is your opinion of Lewis Hamilton?' would have been a more apposite question, but do we really need it?

One man's thoughts, as always.

Kind regards to both camps,

Bauble.
Old 5 Dec 2015, 20:49 (Ref:3595715)   #16
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=wnut;3595626]
Quote:
I think you are all being really unfair, the commentary on BBC with Coulthard and Edwards kept me on the edge of my sofa!
Quote:

"Nico's on pole, but LEWIS can still win from second on the grid."

"LEWIS will get a better run down the inside into the first corner."

"LEWIS will get DRS if he is a second behind NIco."

"Ricciardo has made an early pit stop, this could help LEWIS"

[COLOR=black][FONT%3

Not sure what this was attempting to prove....that BBC commentators like LH, or that we should dislike LH because of other's opinions on him......

I'd hazard a guess that all it proves is that LH is a significant factor in any race he's in.........wonder if that has any bearing on why he's World Champion?

Sure he can be a bit of a self-obsessed, driven individual. Show me a World Champion, or indeed any successful race driver who isn't........
Old 5 Dec 2015, 22:04 (Ref:3595727)   #17
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Damon Hill....??
Old 5 Dec 2015, 23:06 (Ref:3595737)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
[QUOTE=Lancsbreaker;3595715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Not sure what this was attempting to prove....that BBC commentators like LH, or that we should dislike LH because of other's opinions on him......

I'd hazard a guess that all it proves is that LH is a significant factor in any race he's in.........wonder if that has any bearing on why he's World Champion?

Sure he can be a bit of a self-obsessed, driven individual. Show me a World Champion, or indeed any successful race driver who isn't........
It was a comment on commentators. Hamilton is a third party. Don't always interpret everything as a slur on your hero. He is not involved here.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 02:44 (Ref:3595778)   #19
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Damon Hill....??
Maybe add Jenson Button to that list?

ALL drivers at that level have high self confidence (aka ego). Some much worse than others.

Richard
Old 6 Dec 2015, 03:54 (Ref:3595806)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=Lancsbreaker;3595715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

The post was actually a criticism of the BBC's one eyed and constant carping promotion of Hamilton, and how that ultimately did not do his popularity any good at all.

Somebody seemed to think that cutting the post and quote in half without bothering to read it was a good idea.
So the post did not read as it did originally, big surprise!
Old 6 Dec 2015, 08:49 (Ref:3595853)   #21
bauble
Veteran

England
[QUOTE=wnut;3595806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

The post was actually a criticism of the BBC's one eyed and constant carping promotion of Hamilton, and how that ultimately did not do his popularity any good at all.

Somebody seemed to think that cutting the post and quote in half without bothering to read it was a good idea.
So the post did not read as it did originally, big surprise!
Thanks Nutty.

Bob.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3595856)   #22
bauble
Veteran

England
Questions; How popular is;

Rosberg.
Vettel
Massa.
Button.
Stevens.
Alonso.
Raikkonen.
Perez.
Mheri.
Hulkenburg.
Ericson.
Bottas
Rossi.
Ricciardo.
Verstappen.
Sainz.
Kvyat.
Nasr.
Grosjean.
Maldonado.
Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

Come on let's share the abuse/extravagant praise around a bit.
Old 7 Dec 2015, 19:28 (Ref:3596193)   #23
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting bit on Hamilton here. May seem he isn't towing the line at Merc.
There's a thought...watch next season
Thought for the day..Alonso to Merc and Hamilton to Ferrari.
Kimi out...?
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns32667.html

Last edited by djinvicta; 7 Dec 2015 at 19:31. Reason: Added a bit
Old 7 Dec 2015, 20:15 (Ref:3596201)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
from the above link:

"Lewis is a complicated mix of self-confidence and insecurity," the unnamed team boss told London's Times newspaper.

i think thats a great way to describe LH and in a nutshell explains very well why i consider him a compelling sports figure both in and outside of the car.

as for the though of the day...i can very much see LH leaving (either on his own or because Merc dont want the headache/drama) but i dont see him going to Ferrari as long as Vettel is there anyways.

Mclaren on the other hand, who i would normally describe as the most corporate team on the grid but clearly more capable/experienced in dealing with what is basically pretty trivial and common rich sport's guy shenanigans, would be both a natural and better fit imo.

when things go bad run home to momma Ron!
Old 7 Dec 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3596203)   #25
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i can very much see LH leaving
Hamilton to Renault? (I am only half joking)

Richard