Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Oct 2001, 18:57 (Ref:167046)   #1
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams Lose "Aero Willis"

Courtesy Autosport
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.cfm?id=17001&series=5

Williams-BMW has announced it has retained the services of star chief designer Gavin Fisher on a long-term contract, but has lost its aerodynamics ace Geoff Willis to British American Racing.

Fisher and Willis stepped in to fill the breach when star designer Adrian Newey left Williams for McLaren in 1997. They have been given much of the credit for turning around the fortunes of the former World Champions in recent years.

Willis will remain with Williams until March 1, 2002, which means his impact on BAR's challenger for next year will be minimal. He is likely, however, to be given 'gardening leave' from Williams so that he doesn't take any new secrets with him to the Brackley-based squad. His replacement will be recruited from within the Grove team's ranks.

Could turn out to be a big blow to the Williams team in it`s quest for the championship in 02.I think Willis is making a stupid career move because BAR will never go anywhere whereas Williams BMW are a sure bet for future glory.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 23:29 (Ref:167202)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was it a case of a good career move or will he be getting paid a hell of a lot more money?
Old 30 Oct 2001, 00:20 (Ref:167218)   #3
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Was it a case of a good career move or will he be getting paid a hell of a lot more money?
I think both... He is Technical Director at BAR
Old 30 Oct 2001, 03:21 (Ref:167234)   #4
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
???

'His move could turn out to be a big blow to Williams.'

'He's making a stupid career move because BAR will never go anywhere.'

To the extent it's a blow to Williams it's a boon to BAR wouldn't you think? Why wouldn't BAR go places if it hires talent like this?

Last edited by Roy2; 30 Oct 2001 at 03:23.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 05:35 (Ref:167256)   #5
PoweredByHonda
Racer

PoweredByHonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So do you think we'll see an improvement at BAR next season? Or we'll it be like the Adrian Newey affair where BAR will be good the year after?
any thoughts?
But I do think that Willis is not as good as Newey tho

But Go BAR go
Old 30 Oct 2001, 09:25 (Ref:167310)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems to me that a fundamentally good F1 car is designed that way (ie well) from the ground-up. Therefore it seems unlikely that much could be done for the 2002 BAR, which one assumes is well past the concept stage already.

On the other hand mid-season development is one crucial area where many mid field teams lose out, so perhaps BAR might enjoy better momentum and morale in 2002 - God knows they lacked those qualities in 2001.

Very bad news for Williams though, and could eaily be enough to frustrate their championship hopes - bearing in mind the engineering excellence at Ferrari, and the sheer depth of all resources (including aerodynamics - I read that they have a wind tunnel team working 24/7 if necessary). Mclaren should also have gotten to grips with their new facilities by now, and if Ron Dennis and Adrian Newey have kissed and made up they may well return to number one team, aerodynamically speaking.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 12:00 (Ref:167357)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I think Williams will suffer due to breaking its chain of development, and BAR will start to take advantage of this move, by the second part of the season.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 12:09 (Ref:167360)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm...is it just me? But i doubt Williams will be largely affected by the loss of Willis. The fundamentals of the car's aero dynamics are completed, with the fine-tuning left to be completed by Willis before testing begins. Which means the car would start without any significant disadvantages. The only thing that might be a little swayed would be it's season aero developement, and i think the replacement would easily plug the hole there.

Speaking of Ferrari's engineering team,rest assure that Mclaren and Williams have equally competent engineering crew to ensure 2002 would be a closely fought affair!
Old 30 Oct 2001, 12:49 (Ref:167379)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we'll see BAR have a year not unlike Benneton's this year. Which means start off poorly (as they ended this year) and then through season developments start to show some real pace. Gascoyne wasn't able to be instrumental in the design of this years Benneton but we did see his influence in the cars aero tweeks. I just hope I can start to wear my BAR cap a little more proudly.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 13:00 (Ref:167386)   #10
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's all about career development

I reckon its just a career move / development issue for Willis. If you want to progress you have to move up from being one of the 'techies' IN a team to being Deputy Technical Director then Technical Director OF a team ....

To do that you inevitably have to leave a bigger team to gain a higher position in a smaller outfit. The long term hope for these guys is that they make some impression and show themselves to be 'man enough' when the big teams need to appoint.

Good luck to him - I think he'll need it!
Old 30 Oct 2001, 15:21 (Ref:167427)   #11
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally Pollock is doing something to improve his technical dept. After poaching Ferrari's designer now they got Williamses. Good move. Certainly better than anything jordan has done so far to convince Honda to stick around.

Now the ball is on Honda's side. They have to deliver the engine that can be at least as good as the others in the grid. 2003 is realistically the year when we are going to see the results, but a good pace in the second half of 2002 is not out of question.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 15:48 (Ref:167430)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's ironic, how Jordan and BAR have fought so hard for such a disappointing engine... One can only assume/hope that the new motor is alot better.

Gotta say though - I'd bet on Jordan beating BAR next year too.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 19:56 (Ref:167548)   #13
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan and BAR could have not been more evenly matched this season. Panis was DQed from a 2 point scoring position and his apeal failed. That is how much goo Jordan was compared to BAR...LOL

Is not only Willis. They got this guy from Ferrari. If Honda have to decide between one of these teams certainly BAR will have a better cahnce. That is if they are in F1 to win.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 20:12 (Ref:167564)   #14
Sodemo2
Racer

Sodemo2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit, it does make me sick when team personel are "poached" by rival teams. When I heard that Jag tried to get Newey I was angry, I don't like Mclaren or Jaguar, yet it seems as though the only way forward is to steal from other teams.

It pains me to see Williams personnel leaving, as I have always supported Williams, and I think they deserve to do well, as they are a tiny team compared to the massive might of Ferrari and Mclaren.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 11:50 (Ref:167851)   #15
srinimax
Racer

srinimax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with bmw, williams are right up there. so what if they lost one of their men, they still have great drivers and a gem of an engine. poaching is a way of life in f1 so rather than lament i guess its best to accept it. now williams should look to poach someone as good. any names anyone ?
Old 1 Nov 2001, 13:58 (Ref:168329)   #16
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too many industrial secrets come with Willis..., BAR made a nice move.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 23:40 (Ref:168554)   #17
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still think, no matter what, Williams will be frontrunners next year. That can be almost guarunteed. BAR will, as you all say, do a "Benneton" next year and improve closer to the end of the year when their new bloke willis starts to work his magic.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 03:47 (Ref:168582)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If a team has a very weak foundation, one good man wouldn't save the team. Jacques and Oliver has shown that good drivers doesnt make a team, and Willis really have to draw on his experience to LEAD the team if he wants to make any impact at all.

Newey could do well in 98 once he got into Mclaren is because Mclaren's foundations isnt that weak in the first place. Michael understood that the political mess in Ferrari requires not only him, but his trusted team of designer and stuffs, to help Todt and Luca unlock the potential in Ferrari. Sauber took a leap with 2 good drivers, and a ex-Mclaren designer. Willis...i think he'd have a tough job on hand...but BAR has quite some hidden potentials that makes it a big unknown (a state of art factory, 2 good drivers, a honda engine). I'm waiting to see...
Old 5 Nov 2001, 21:14 (Ref:170412)   #19
facco
Racer

Just read from williams.rivals.net that Willis replacement has been found from within the team

Jason Somerville and Nick Alcock
Old 7 Nov 2001, 18:25 (Ref:171540)   #20
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
Jordan and BAR could have not been more evenly matched this season. Panis was DQed from a 2 point scoring position and his apeal failed. That is how much goo Jordan was compared to BAR...LOL

Is not only Willis. They got this guy from Ferrari. If Honda have to decide between one of these teams certainly BAR will have a better cahnce. That is if they are in F1 to win.
For the record it wasn't two points, it was three, enough to put BAR into 4th in the constructors but really, considering resources (bar the Honda) it should have been a more considerable margin

And who is this Ferrari guy that no-one else seems to have picked up on?
Old 7 Nov 2001, 19:18 (Ref:171581)   #21
facco
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
And who is this Ferrari guy that no-one else seems to have picked up on?
Mark Bowen (??????)http://www.autorace.com/news/oct2001/29oct2001.htm#a3
Old 8 Nov 2001, 14:08 (Ref:171889)   #22
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What did he do at Ferrari?
Old 8 Nov 2001, 14:26 (Ref:171895)   #23
facco
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
What did he do at Ferrari?
Chassis design, AFAIK
Old 8 Nov 2001, 14:27 (Ref:171896)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The eletronics wizard ????