Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 26 Jan 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1210460)   #26
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunno what it is and couldn't be bothered looking it up k-b, I'm sure you all know who I mean though my good friend!

The term I use about professional is that the MG car club series is not a professional series run in the same light as BMW, Renault, Seat etc, etc...it's a clubby. I'm not saying it is not run professionally and if it reads like that then I apologise but I'm sure you get the gist of my reply and are just being your usual nitpicking selves bless you!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1210464)   #27
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think we all know you meant well Gaz
Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1210469)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

So who do we think will be realistically filling any support race slots at the Brands meeting of A1GP?

It'll have to be club series, because the "professional" series calendars are pretty tightly defined.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1210486)   #29
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Its a good point K-B! With it being confirmed so late it has put itself on the backfoot slightly in the quality of supports it can attract but Mr Palmer has stated he will only run high quality, professional supports with it.

F3 and all the rest are confirmed, has Formula Superfund confirmed a calendar? (I know the start has been delayed but there was rumor of a UK round, possibly Rockingham a while back)
Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1210489)   #30
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A1GP wouldn't have Superfund supporting it - too similar in terms of performance. That's a moot point anyway, as Superfund isn't likely to see the light of day, IMO.

I would expect FPA may be one support race.

And possibly a couple of tin-top categories of some sort.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1210494)   #31
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Realistically, I reckon a field full of the MGCC's B/C/V8 series would make an excellent addition to the bill. Realistically, I expect they`ll put on something far more modern and exciting like BMW minis or VW Cup though....

I`m all for a Pro-am challenge with seasoned club-racers in MSV MG ZS's versus an elite celebrity team in the all-new MSV Megane`s...... Pure genius..... I think JP will be put off by the potential repair bill though!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1210497)   #32
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Yep, FPA is a cert your right there K-B. I'd be worried if Mr Palmer didn't see his own series as a high-quality, professionally run championship!

Not too well up on my tin-tops other than the BTCC to know whats about that could fill those slots, the MG's could be on afterall here!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1210505)   #33
Elio
Veteran

The 2005 FPA calendar was released officially yesterday. Didn`t include an A1 date. I`d find it strange if JP would release his dates for his own series on the day when A1 date was moved if he knew they were wrong?...
Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1210525)   #34
Elio
Veteran

Ferrari Formula Classic according to MN. That should provide some close exciting racing!! Please, give us an MSV FF1600 round AT LEAST!!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1210569)   #35
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They're at Snetterton that weekend IIRC...
Old 26 Jan 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1210573)   #36
Elio
Veteran

I see a re-shuffle - can`t have a big single-seater race without some FF!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1210621)   #37
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a way to run a business? Does anyone know whats going on?
I got ready to apply to attend Goodwood (Which you have to do in advance)
I also applied for the MGCC Meeting. Poor John Watson being messed around again.
When I received the application for the A1 GP I decided to support the new Venture. Now its all change . Apart from the day before a meeting can anyone tell me when its safe to apply for these events and produce a reliable calender of events. Some of us to like to "plan" a word which appears to be strange in motor sport. Sorry to use that word.
I know that I am now lucky to be retired but if I had run my business like the Motor Sport management and promoters I would have lost my staff and my customer very quickly. Still that perhaps the way businesses are run today???
I have now decided not to send any forms back until April. Perhaps they will get them selves sorted out by then.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1210636)   #38
Elio
Veteran

Seems to have been exceptional this year. And we all thought last year was bad!
Old 27 Jan 2005, 09:43 (Ref:1211022)   #39
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First support race confirmed is Thorobred GP.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1211042)   #40
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock
Some of us to like to "plan" a word which appears to be strange in motor sport. Sorry to use that word.

I am already £40 out of pocket due to a date change or an error in a published calendar. Booked a room for Anglesey and the date has now been changed. Cannot make the new date and have lost deposit on room!

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 27 Jan 2005 at 10:06.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1211107)   #41
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell

I am already £40 out of pocket due to a date change or an error in a published calendar. Booked a room for Anglesey and the date has now been changed. Cannot make the new date and have lost deposit on room!
Was that really a confirmed calendar though? Probably not, it is the same every year - dates are fluid until February. I think I know what I am doing this year now - but I have not made any bookings as yet...
Old 27 Jan 2005, 14:28 (Ref:1211222)   #42
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Was that really a confirmed calendar though? Probably not, it is the same every year - dates are fluid until February. I think I know what I am doing this year now - but I have not made any bookings as yet...
It has not always been this bad.Most years since the 60s,by this time of year I have had in my hands a fixture booklet from MCD/Octagon,etc.,which was generally kept to.None so far this year. At the Autosport Show(or should it be Industrial Fair?) I do not recall a single stand selling the sport to the public.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1211360)   #43
Ian Sowman
Veteran

To be fair the Autosport Show is an industry/trade show with a couple of public days bolted onto the end to make it more viable, although perhaps it is an opportunity that should be made more of.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1211414)   #44
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman

Probably not - I should know better!

Due to a new Marshalling opportunity that has arisen I will more than likely be completely rearranging my dates anyway - so back to square one!!

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 27 Jan 2005 at 19:40.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1217669)   #45
Elio
Veteran

I take it all back!!.... FPA calendar changed to include a finale at A1GP! Brands FPA date with the EERC and Belcar in June has been scratched.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1217734)   #46
Kicking-back
Veteran

Very sensible move from Jonathan, that.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 09:26 (Ref:1218022)   #47
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree. There's no point in owning circuits if you don't use them to promote your own race series!
Old 5 Feb 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1218293)   #48
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrive
There may have been people from GP2 that were interested in working in A1GP during the winter...
Problem possibly resolved, GP2 trying to move Bahrain date away from original
25. Sept. to avoid clash with GP Brazil in order to be able to use FOM scrutineers and FOM TV.