Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Sep 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3769698)   #3026
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
IT would appear the simplest solution for many is to just take the things for an MOT . . . I'm sure it'll mean Insurance is cheaper as well.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3769719)   #3027
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
IT would appear the simplest solution for many is to just take the things for an MOT . . . I'm sure it'll mean Insurance is cheaper as well.
I suppose in another twenty years time I shall be concerned about this.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3769731)   #3028
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Blue View Post
As all that is required is a 'declaration' to that effect the problem, if it is one, is very easily solved, n'est se pas?
probably not as they'll send someone round to inspect it as they are now doing with imports when you come to register them. The Same thing is happening with some vehicles when you come to change to Historic tax class.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3769772)   #3029
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
. . . I'm sure it'll mean Insurance is cheaper as well.

I keep hearing this insurance angle - has anyone any concrete evidence of an insurance company charging more for a pre-60 car which is MOT exempt now?
Old 25 Sep 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3769785)   #3030
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I just insured a 107E for £60! but it is bog standard, and MOT'd, everything I have seems to be 1960's!
Old 25 Sep 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3769790)   #3031
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I keep hearing this insurance angle - has anyone any concrete evidence of an insurance company charging more for a pre-60 car which is MOT exempt now?
No idea but I was paying £90 for my 69 MGB and now I have my 55 BelAir on the same policy it's £190 all in, that's with £25K agreed value on the Chevy
Old 27 Sep 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3770096)   #3032
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
We're off to Spa at the weekend, are there any roadworks or traffic issues to avoid once we leave Calais?
Old 27 Sep 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3770100)   #3033
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
We're off to Spa at the weekend, are there any roadworks or traffic issues to avoid once we leave Calais?

Just the normal every-day sort of hazards...

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/224264/ar...arde-portuaire
Old 27 Sep 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3770103)   #3034
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was in the area in late July there were some fairly lengthy delays north of Brussels on the A10/E40.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3770121)   #3035
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Just the normal every-day sort of hazards...

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/224264/ar...arde-portuaire
It's still going on then, we never hear about this problem anymore
Old 27 Sep 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3770130)   #3036
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There's not so many of them these days but they still keep coming back, & there has been trouble recently in a camp nearer to Dunkerque. The different nationalities have a habit of fighting each other.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 15:34 (Ref:3770134)   #3037
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I came back from the UK via E42 (i never go via bxls) this Monday & around Mons is quite bad, plus the area after A411 turn off towards Liege is also slow going , single file for 10kms, then before Liege is also quite bad, depending on time of day !

Unfortunately the continental mainland is trying to beat the UK for jams & roadworks, gone are the days when l could do home to Calais in max 3 hrs, in my Renault 5 on a Friday night , but that was the early 90's !

Even Lille is now a pain, with terrible jams & stupid 90 km limit & cameras, even when no one else is on the road ! I often go via Popperinge, Ypres, then E402 back onto E42 & it's about 10 mins longer & a lot more scenic !

Rant over, sorry for that ; have a nice weekend ; what's on @ Spa ?
Old 27 Sep 2017, 17:44 (Ref:3770146)   #3038
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes E 42 is pretty good now.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3770149)   #3039
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post

Rant over, sorry for that ; have a nice weekend ; what's on @ Spa ?
Track day on Monday
Old 28 Sep 2017, 10:15 (Ref:3770266)   #3040
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
there are still illegals hovering around Calais so watch out on the return. Two weeks ago I was refuelling at Carrefour when one hopped through the open window into my MG on the trailer!! Luckily a customer alongside saw it and alerted us and we turfed him out.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 11:26 (Ref:3770274)   #3041
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't think I'd have kicked out Lauren Hill though.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 17:38 (Ref:3770324)   #3042
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
All very quiet on here. I'm enjoying long bike ride home and a beer in daylight even more. Got weekend off looking forward to the radio 1 anniversary on Saturday . Anyone remember what they were doing 50 years ago .
Old 28 Sep 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3770325)   #3043
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
All very quiet on here. I'm enjoying long bike ride home and a beer in daylight even more. Got weekend off looking forward to the radio 1 anniversary on Saturday . Anyone remember what they were doing 50 years ago .
50 years ago? Still at school. That & listening to Wonderful Radio London on a crackly transistor radio.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 17:45 (Ref:3770326)   #3044
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...... Anyone remember what they were doing 50 years ago .
I was at school in Malta! My daily journey to & from school was on an Army Bedford truck - all of us sitting in the back being thrown about all over the place. No H&S then, great fun.

And school finished at lunchtime - too hot in the afternoon!
Old 28 Sep 2017, 18:02 (Ref:3770331)   #3045
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
50 years ago? Still at school. That & listening to Wonderful Radio London on a crackly transistor radio.

I should also add going to Snetterton on a regular basis. My late father was responsible for organising the St John Ambulance Brigade first aid cover there from the time racing began up until 1970 so that's where it all began for me.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3770336)   #3046
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
..... Anyone remember what they were doing 50 years ago .
At this time in the evening, I would be just leaving home to dash to my evening job behind the bar of a very popular pub in Hampstead, having gulped down my dinner after getting home at 6.30 from the day job. Did that 4 or 5 days a week, depending on my racing itinerary for that period.

If it was a racing weekend, then on the Friday night the car would be pushed into the loading bay of my factory, which was converted into a spotless workshop for fettling the car. That usually went on late into the night, interrupted for a trip to a mobile café a few miles away (rolled out every night to serve the taxi driver community) that produced the most fantastic cooked sandwiches named The Cowboy All-on. Basically half of a fried breakfast between two slices of bread, and good enough to put hairs on your chest.

Saturday afternoon at Brands when possible to run in/set up car for a race the next day.

Sleep was for wooses, or me on a Sunday if not racing.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 19:20 (Ref:3770344)   #3047
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Anyone remember what they were doing 50 years ago .
I can't remember what I did yesterday let alone 50 years ago
Old 28 Sep 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3770347)   #3048
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I recall the very first breakfast show and Flowers in the Rain as I was delivering papers. I had my transistor radio and an earpiece.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3770351)   #3049
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the ferryside at Calais or Boulogne (it was a ferry port in those days) waiting to get home from holiday. Remember like it was yesterday. Now, what did I do yesterday?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3770355)   #3050
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
50 years ago, hmm, I was in the 3rd year of an apprenticeship with the British Aircraft Corporation in Weybridge, riding a 250cc BSA C15 shortly to be traded for my first car, a Ford 100e, in 5 day digs costing £5 a week which was quite a hole in my pay packet, anything left was spent on booze and any available females whilst attending day release at Brooklands and Kingston college for an HNC. Some of the best years of my life, used to really look forward to the weekends at Brands Hatch - Broadspeed Anglias , Fraser Imps and the highlight of the year the BOAC 500.
Closed Thread