Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2012, 14:46 (Ref:3144158)   #1
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More controversy surrounding 2014 engines

I was looking for some more info on the new engines that come into force in 2014, and I found this:

http://www.pitpass.com/47448-New-F1-...ays-Ecclestone

Is this Bernie trying to direct attention away from him, or is this something to cause concern for the new engines?
Old 30 Sep 2012, 14:49 (Ref:3144159)   #2
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt whether Pitpass is a reliable source.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3144163)   #3
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Possibly not, but they're reporting what was published here in the Hindustan Times and there are plenty of quotes from BE. I do believe that this is more than just hot air.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 15:17 (Ref:3144170)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There's a bit about this in the 'Lewis to Merc' thread. No smoke without fire, they say.

The circuit promoters are certainly against the change (noise, of the right type, sells tickets), BE is certainy against it, Montezemolo is certainly against it, and Jean Todt.....What exactly is it that Jean Todt does?

Last edited by Marbot; 30 Sep 2012 at 15:23.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3144178)   #5
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
There's a bit about this in the 'Lewis to Merc' thread. No smoke without fire, they say.

The circuit promoters are certainly against the change (noise, of the right type, sells tickets), BE is certainy against it, Montezemolo is certainly against it, and Jean Todt.....What exactly is it that Jean Todt does?
I have seen Jean Todt more on the WEC and WTCC paddocks than at grand Prix this year.

My personal opinion on the engines is that it is a good thing, but only if there is engine development. Having said this, the close season that we have had thanks to a level(ish) playing field will be most likely eroded.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3144186)   #6
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Remember the fuss when the new 1.5-litre formula came out in 1961? Nobody wanted it (apart from Ferrari), we all thought it would be dull and boring, wrong noise, wrong speeds etc..

It turned out to be one of the most interesting periods of all - mind you, Ferrari wanted that one. If they're against this one, then their weight of opinion may well see it abandoned before it's started.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3144187)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Remember the fuss when the new 1.5-litre formula came out in 1961?
Ah... no I don't ! Don't assume that we're all coffin dodgers on here
Old 30 Sep 2012, 16:31 (Ref:3144206)   #8
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Ah... no I don't ! Don't assume that we're all coffin dodgers on here
Forgot I wasn't on TNF! Like yesterday to me - ration coupons, polio, smog, happy days!

I reckon Ferrari of today is even more powerful in the broking stakes than it was back then. The changeover for 2014 will be down to them I reckon.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3144246)   #9
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Pitpass is the publisher, Christian Sylt is the author and he is very, very well connected.

I'm not saying it will happen but I'm pretty damn sure that if Sylt is reporting that Bernie told him that, then he did.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3144302)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Remember the fuss when the new 1.5-litre formula came out in 1961? Nobody wanted it (apart from Ferrari), we all thought it would be dull and boring, wrong noise, wrong speeds etc..

It turned out to be one of the most interesting periods of all - mind you, Ferrari wanted that one. If they're against this one, then their weight of opinion may well see it abandoned before it's started.
While it was interesting, it was duller and it was good when they doubled the capacity.
Imagine if the main of Clarks career had been with better engines. Mmmm...

A least the new engines have turbos and the new engines won't lack as much power.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3144306)   #11
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
While it was interesting, it was duller and it was good when they doubled the capacity.
Imagine if the main of Clarks career had been with better engines. Mmmm...

A least the new engines have turbos and the new engines won't lack as much power.
I agree that I welcomed the "return of power" in 1966, but I just think we shouldn't write off the new formula. They'll still be quick, that's for sure.

If it happens....
Old 30 Sep 2012, 22:12 (Ref:3144331)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mmmm, quick they will be.

(Probably best if you say that in a Yoda voice)
Old 30 Sep 2012, 23:55 (Ref:3144358)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I agree that I welcomed the "return of power" in 1966, but I just think we shouldn't write off the new formula. They'll still be quick, that's for sure.

If it happens....
Personally I hope they ditch the blasted things, sure the new cars will be quick, but close racing will vanish for years until everyone catches up.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 00:22 (Ref:3144366)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think that they will only be quick if they can get all of the electrical gubbins to work as it should. The ERS will have to make up a much greater percentage of the overall power for the new formula. If that goes belly up during a race, then anyone would then be sitting duck to the likes of HRT, assuming, of course, that they have got themselves a decent setup too. BE doesn't want the cars to run through the pit lane on electric power only, but if I wanted any small advantage over my competitors, I would run my cars through the pit lane on electric power only (hence the reason for 'self-starters' in 2014). I would also ensure that my turbo was working as effectively as possible, and that, by definition, means that it would also be the quietest turbo engine out there. ssssshhhhhh.

Last edited by Marbot; 1 Oct 2012 at 00:29.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 01:01 (Ref:3144370)   #15
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really? They're worried about the sound?! BS. They let EBD's go, and they've turned the revs down 3K RPM and they sound like **** now compared to when they first came in.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 01:17 (Ref:3144375)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Really? They're worried about the sound?! BS. They let EBD's go, and they've turned the revs down 3K RPM and they sound like **** now compared to when they first came in.
Perhaps it's possible to be 'even more' worried about the sound? Are you also saying that the EBDs made a good sound?!!!

Bring back the days of Ferrari V12s, turning over at a lazy 12-14,000 rpm. Bliss!

The now defunct SuperLeague series has got a whole load of 4.2 litre V12 engines sitting around doing nothing. Someone get Bernie to give them a call!

Last edited by Marbot; 1 Oct 2012 at 01:23.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 03:32 (Ref:3144417)   #17
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps it's possible to be 'even more' worried about the sound? Are you also saying that the EBDs made a good sound?!!!
'
Dear God, no! I'm saying they let them happen for a year and a half before sending them to the trash heap.

Quote:
Bring back the days of Ferrari V12s, turning over at a lazy 12-14,000 rpm. Bliss!

The now defunct SuperLeague series has got a whole load of 4.2 litre V12 engines sitting around doing nothing. Someone get Bernie to give them a call!
This I could definitely get behind.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 03:38 (Ref:3144421)   #18
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
'
Dear God, no! I'm saying they let them happen for a year and a half before sending them to the trash heap.

This I could definitely get behind.

Plus 1 to both of these!

Especially the 4.2 litre v12s!
Old 1 Oct 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3144638)   #19
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Those Superleague motors sounded incredible... they'll make the new turbos sound like wet farts.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3144696)   #20
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Regardless of what they eventually do… My first thought is that all of this hand wringing and waffling back and forth just seems so amateurish. I shouldn’t be astonished at the amount self inflicted pain there is in F1, but I am. If they don't move forward how much money has already been spent on R&D for the new engines?

Richard
Old 1 Oct 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3144728)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Deep down, F1 fans are just petrolheads just like all the rest of motorsport people are (except truck racing, obviously). Yes, there are diesel engined racing cars/vehicles here and there, but they are somewhat unloved by the viewing public.

So, a series like F1 has got to be careful about what it feels is relevant to making it acceptable to the fans as well as challenging to the manufacturers supplying the engines.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3144751)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Regardless of what they eventually do… My first thought is that all of this hand wringing and waffling back and forth just seems so amateurish. I shouldn’t be astonished at the amount self inflicted pain there is in F1, but I am. If they don't move forward how much money has already been spent on R&D for the new engines?

Richard
I have to agree, at times I just shake my head in disbelief...
Old 1 Oct 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3144758)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Those Superleague motors sounded incredible... they'll make the new turbos sound like wet farts.
I love the Superleague motors, they sounded beautiful.

Hopefully now that Superleague is dead, the cars and engines will get turned loose on the market so private individuals can run them.

I was never a fan of F1 even moving away from 3.0 liter V10's, so going to 1.6 V6 engines doesn't impress.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3144761)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I went to the WEC at Bahrain last weekend. Got to say that the Audi is some piece of kit. But it makes no noise. It accelerates, it oversteers (a bit), it looks drop dead gorgeous and as a racing fan, I can relate to it. However, what's the point of a silent racing car?

Quite frankly, the FIA should be burning fossil fuels like there's no tomorrow! Let's. Face it, the only people it would upset is the greens and anything faster than a 2cv frightens them anyway. Why pander to a minority at the expense of sport?

Note: I realise this is over simplifying but I hope you get, my drift.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3144762)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I love the Superleague motors, they sounded beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJqQ1sxhOhs

MECHANICAL MUSIC!