Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Apr 2014, 01:17 (Ref:3394168)   #1
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Donington Museum - exhibits query

No idea what board this should be on, so apologies if it is in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem to be a category for Museums or show events.

Having been a keen supporter of Donington Museum since the day it first opened (and even running a stand with the NSCC at the 1976 Motorshow there and the first post war car race meeting with NSCC), I am somewhat concerned that many of the iconic and also many one off cars seem to have been sold.

On my last visit to the UK in 2012, reception couldn't even give me a list of exhibits, so for the first time ever, I walked away, as all I could see in hall 1 through the doors, were the WWII military vehicles. Not of any interest to me at all as they are as far removed from racing cars as it is possible to be.

This museum was always promoted as "the largest collection of single seater racing cars (open to the public) in the world".

I have emailed Donington and haven't even had the courtesy a response, so I am asking here if anyone has an up to date list, either of what is there or what has gone? I was due to call in again June 2014, but not sure that it is any longer worth the effort.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 07:06 (Ref:3394232)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I used to be a regular visitor to the museum back in its early days (it was somewhere for us to go on our motorbikes at the weekend) and was always mightily impressed with what there was there, Tom Wheatcroft was a true enthusiast.
I've a feeling that some of the family jewels had to be sold in order to raise the cash to rebuild Donington after the place was raped by Simon Gillette, so that could explain why the exhibits were a little sparse on your last visit. I also seem to remember that during the Gillette affair there was a lot of nervousness about want could happen to the exhibits from private owners who had loaned vehicles to the museum. Maybe they too pulled their cars out of the place to preserve their safety?
With regard to the military vehicles, I know that is Kevin Wheatcroft's personal interest, and he used to house them elsewhere. He's probably put them in there for the time being to fill the place up...
Old 18 Apr 2014, 10:59 (Ref:3394336)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The contents change from time to time but last November went I went through it looked quite full.

The military stuff is actually quite interesting and well presented. About a hall and a half last time I was there. It seems to have taken over some of the space that was previously occupied by largely non-racing exhibits..

As VIVA GT said some of the loan exhibits move around from time to time as do some of the Wheatcroft collection cars which are loaned out. There are no doubt some exhibits (not just cars and bikes) that are away for work to be done leaving apparent spaces in the displays.

I suspect that rumours of the sale of a few cars over the years are likely true. I think a few have found their way back onto tracks on a regular basis which may not be so bad for their reputation and the interested public. Most significant British and Commonwealth cars of the period still seems to be well represented. Of the GP cars I suppose getting a full complement of German and Italian machinery might be a challenge ...

Last November there was a rather interesting display of Jaguar prototype and design study cars on view. The early aluminium era. Loaned by Jaguar apparently.

The McLaren collection included shapes from up to about 2010 or 2011 iirc. Whether these modern cars are real or promo mockups without most under-the-skin components may be a matter for debate of course. Interesting to see the aero differences side by side though.

I think it was back in the Gillet days but at one point there was a software outfit that produced some sort of interactive web site for the Museum. From memory I thought at the time that it looked quite interesting. I have no idea what happened to that ... but one might guess it went AWOL.

It's not hugely expensive to get in and I have always felt that, in context and for racing enthusiasts, it offers value for money. I've been fortunate that for the past 3 or 4 years the Donington Park Racing Association Club's AGM has been in the Senna Suite in the museum complex and one has to suffer the challenge of walking all the way through the Museum to reach the Suite.

The link from the Donington web site may be useful if you have not already seen it.

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/abou...ix-collection/
Old 18 Apr 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3394510)   #4
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first hall has always been mostly non-racing things. I remember a fire engine and other period things a year or two ago in there.

Remember, historic racing is more popular than ever now, so cars are out being used. And more than a few cars were away being used for filming Rush so that'll take numbers down. A couple of cars from the collection have been sold but nothing of note in my opinion, the ''star'' cars are still there.

Still the best motorsport museum in the country by some distance.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3394653)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
No idea what board this should be on, so apologies if it is in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem to be a category for Museums or show events.
I'm going to move this to Trackside, if that's OK, as it is "something to do at a circuit". It could fit in a few places, but as this forum is really for site announcements and feedback there are better places!
Old 17 Oct 2014, 22:00 (Ref:3466059)   #6
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just for info, the Prodrive collection has recently been loaned to Donington while they rebuild in Banbury. Some lovely additions, however temporary (although there for several more months):

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news...n-into-museum/