Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 19 May 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3734461)   #51
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That looks a lot better Bert. Though the closing speed and racing line off the joker and main bit are likely to cause havoc. Potential for interesting finishes...

I'll reserve judgement but this looks a bit too tight and twisty. I prefer faster simpler circuits as overtaking is then easier. Like Lydden.
Old 19 May 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3734469)   #52
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honestly, you are never, ever going to ahve another track like Lydden.

That is not how rallycross tracks are made these days, or how IMG want them.

They want tight corners for contact and closer racing (in their minds), they want compact tracks where you can see everything, preferably in a stadium arena like Hockenheim and Barcelona.

Estering, Lydden are old school and do not at all subscribe to that, though Estering is better.

Stupid thing is, there is no arena area for viewing at this new track.

i too think the start is where Bert says second time, that is the paddock for the new Wing area over to the right, so makes more sense, though those paddock garages are vast and RX cars do not need them so immense are their own units
Old 20 May 2017, 06:31 (Ref:3734592)   #53
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I think that seems likely. This might be a good layout.
Old 20 May 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3734611)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It looks a bit better, but still not really big enough
Old 20 May 2017, 10:08 (Ref:3734624)   #55
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you ahve not been there, and seen it, fairly hard to comment, this is the way modern rallycross tracks are desgned.
Old 20 May 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3734634)   #56
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Like you've not been to Mettet, eh Chunder?��
Old 20 May 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3734641)   #57
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Mettet is different, there are some areas you can get on the infield but not many, most of it is on what seems like a hillside and you are looking down on the track.

You can't seem to get on the outside of the track at the bottom end.

So I would think they are going to be the same in terms of viewing. Wouldn't go to Mettet if you paid me sorry. So fair enough if you think that's your problem.

I don't travel to WRX rounds, they are not at all worth it.

I went to a few ERC in the old days, but tinseltown is not worth travelling to.

The only ones I would attend are Holjes and France maybe. But going on your own, no thanks.
Old 20 May 2017, 12:51 (Ref:3734645)   #58
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mettet would be much better if you could view upwards rather that downwards. But I still don't like the fact you can't see the start up close.
Old 20 May 2017, 12:56 (Ref:3734647)   #59
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think youa re going to get this from now on.

The tighter tracks don't allow really for spectating on that infield, and they want that all full of sponsors and snappers.

it simply depends on what the viewing might be like for fans.
Old 20 May 2017, 20:38 (Ref:3734737)   #60
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Not sure if infield is ever better for spectating as by seeing you will miss out on some or most of the track. This is another reason why Lydden is perfect as you can be very close to the action and still see the whole track
Old 21 May 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3734860)   #61
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Not sure if infield is ever better for spectating as by seeing you will miss out on some or most of the track. This is another reason why Lydden is perfect as you can be very close to the action and still see the whole track
From the handful of European tracks I've seen I would definitely say the best overview of the circuit comes from the spectator areas rather than the infield.

Fully agreed with regards to Lydden: it's hard to find a spot where you can't see the whole track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS
Mettet would be much better if you could view upwards rather that downwards. But I still don't like the fact you can't see the start up close.
I noticed a few people trying that from outside the perimeter fence this year! Viewing from the bottom would give you a better view of the sharp descent after turn one and the lower section of the track, but the start would still be obscured, you'd have a limited view of turn one and both the finish and joker exit would be out of sight.

Along the top of the hill at Mettet has the best view overall. The spectator area at the end of the joker section is the closest spectators can get to the action (and you can look right down the straight at the start), though the lower section is completely out of sight there.
Old 25 May 2017, 05:33 (Ref:3735810)   #62
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...oin-solberg-at

SilverstoneRX will be "A weekend of edge-of-your-seat action and pure entertainment, SpeedMachine Festival will deliver pure indulgence for fans of speed and cars. The line-up will feature exhilarating wheel-to-wheel racing from the FIA World Rallycross Championship, top music headliners, manufacturer test drives, Supercars, e-gaming, the finest street food and camping."

Hopefully you can buy a RX only ticket and not have to put up with the superfluous cr@p. They're clearly trying to tap into a new market.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3735839)   #63
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well at least the World Rallycross is the main motorsport event and it's not tacked on to something else.

The PR blurb there is bit cringeworthy, hopefully it will be something in the vein of the Modified Live show at Brands (which constituted part of the Time Attack Championship).
Old 25 May 2017, 08:14 (Ref:3735846)   #64
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
So long as the rallycross is the main part, the rest can just be background noise. Look forward to seeing the videos of them testing at the track next week. Hopefully they will take comments on board from the drivers. Manufacturers test drives... what does that entail?
Old 25 May 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3735902)   #65
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
All that says to me is that the ticket price will be outrageous sadly, as all that other crap costs a lot of money.

WTF is street food!!
Old 25 May 2017, 10:20 (Ref:3735905)   #66
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
WTF is street food!!
It's pretentious talk for 'burgers and hot dogs'
Old 26 May 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3736239)   #67
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It's pretentious talk for 'burgers and hot dogs'
For a premium price!
Old 30 May 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3737352)   #68
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Prices are up on Silverstone website and its truly Horrendous.

£50 each day in advance with no doubt booking fees on top, £70 on the gate
(11-15yrs £35 in adv, £45 on gate)

Weekend is a £95 in advance, £140 with camping, £125 on gate, £170 with camping
(teens £60 weekend adv, £80 with camping, £80 on gate, £100 with camping)

no mention of any class other than world rallycross.

Maybe further details will emerge from today's media day about what will actually be racing other than World Supercars.
Old 30 May 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3737357)   #69
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So long as the rallycross is the main part, the rest can just be background noise. Look forward to seeing the videos of them testing at the track next week. Hopefully they will take comments on board from the drivers. Manufacturers test drives... what does that entail?
It will be test drives of road cars on maybe the National Circuit or National Paddock, hopefully not the South Circuit, as it will trap the Stowe Rallycross track inside with maybe only the Hanger Straight bridge as access, which could make a long walk if the campsite is behind club, and not off hanger straight, and if they use the hard car parking off the main road. There is/or was the Porsche Experience/drive centre thing, built on the failed "Rallysprint Track", which the press reported was one of the issues why Jaguar/Landrover pulled out of buying the place.... (As it was reported that the Porsche lease stopped other car manufacturers from using Silverstone for more than 45 days a year.)
Old 30 May 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3737361)   #70
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
"Details" here:

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/...-championship/

"In addition to the FIA World Rallycross Championship, SpeedMachine will play host to edge of your seat racing with Drift Cars, F1™ and Group B rally cars all in attendance."
Old 30 May 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3737369)   #71
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Prices are up on Silverstone website and its truly Horrendous.

£50 each day in advance with no doubt booking fees on top, £70 on the gate
(11-15yrs £35 in adv, £45 on gate)

Weekend is a £95 in advance, £140 with camping, £125 on gate, £170 with camping
(teens £60 weekend adv, £80 with camping, £80 on gate, £100 with camping)

no mention of any class other than world rallycross.

Maybe further details will emerge from today's media day about what will actually be racing other than World Supercars.
To coin Meatloaf, I would do anything for [rallycross] but I won't do that. Disgusting prices. I'd want a lap in a supercar for that price. Think we will just add another European trip next year.
Old 30 May 2017, 12:59 (Ref:3737370)   #72
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
To coin Meatloaf, I would do anything for [rallycross] but I won't do that. Disgusting prices. I'd want a lap in a supercar for that price. Think we will just add another European trip next year.
I think it's fair to say I won't be going to Silverstone next year.
Old 30 May 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3737378)   #73
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Bloody hell

That is absolutely atrocious

That is by far the most expensive rallycross meeting you will ever go to/

I guess they are trying to make it another Silverstone Classic type event with all sorts of crap going on.

But that is second only to F1 in terms of on the day pricing, MotoGP is cheaper I think

I don't know what they are thinking, but I am ashamed, literally ashamed to have been so positive about the Silverstone track.

I guess it must have cost them a lot of money lol
Old 30 May 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3737380)   #74
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'SpeedMachine Festival'

Says it all really, don't think anything else can be added to that.
Old 30 May 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3737381)   #75
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Surely they have just dropped a template in with any old prices on it, surely?

It can't be this expensive?

That just can't be right can it.