Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Nov 2004, 04:48 (Ref:1165388)   #1
astinus4
Racer

Australia
Darwin, Australia
astinus4 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Engine Noise

I've just finished watching this year's Surfers paradise race and the 2001 race back to back (thanks 00XR8), and I couldn't help noticing the difference in the engine noise between the current machines and the 2001 entries. I understand that the current engines have been limited to 12,000 RPM since last year. How much were they revving to before?

I'm a relative newcomer to Champcars so I was wondering what some of you guys who've been fans for years think about the noise change?

Just going by the tv coverage the 2001 cars seemed louder but I didn't think they sounded better by any means. Those cars seemed to make an F1 like high pitched shrieking noise, while this year (and last year) they had more of a 'roaring' quality to them. Very different noises but I don't favour one over the other.

I also attended the Surfer's race this year and while the noise was ok when acclerating from lov revs, the engines sounded best when the cars were at full throttle rocketing down the straights, and when the drivers came off the throttle at the end of the straights. I regret not going to a pre 2003 race as it would've been interesting to compare the differences in engine notes live.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 05:20 (Ref:1165398)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's pretty much everything I know regarding the engines in recent history:

They were reving to 16k. I'm not sure, but that may have been a fairly significant technical acheivement because I believe F1 moved over to pnumatic valve actuation ~15k believing that was as high as they could go with conventional springs. (feel free to correct me)

Just for comparison, Toyota spent $200M on CC in 2001. (Toyota has stated the figure) While there was money spent on teams, a big chunk of that was on R&D. Compare that to F1 team budgets, let alone engines at the time! Since 2003 when the rev limit was dropped to 12k, they upped the boost substantially. Back in '99 they ran both big boost and big revs. They were making above 1000hp! Everyone always argues with me on that point, but Dario was the Honda development driver (special testing and experimental parts in races) and he's on the record saying that. For 2000 they reduced the boost some, but were still at monsterous HP levels. I believe ~1000hp, but I can't remember exactly. For 2001/2 I think they dropped the boost again and were down to ~850hp. 2004 push to pass gives them a peak of an extra 50hp, but normally it's at 750hp. On ovals it's 700hp. In Mexico city they apparently limited the boost from 41.5mm to 39mm. According to TK the air velocity at the compressor were getting 'out of spec,' I'm guessing because of the thin air. On the same token, even at equal boost at an elevation like Mexico city they would be making less power.

Last edited by Snrub; 27 Nov 2004 at 05:21.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 09:12 (Ref:1165482)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I have nothing to base this on but my fading memory, but I believe that ChampCars used to run at around 18K RPM top-end..?

It had been a few years between races for me, but when I went to Vegas this year the cars did sound noticeably different from my years at MIS. They were visually slower, but they were still running flat-out. So you don't have to try convincing me that the engines sound different!

I much prefer the sound of the higher revs myself, but the teams can't afford spending that kind of money on engines right now.

Snrub...
Take solace in the fact that Zanardi said, on WindTunnel a few days ago, that the cars were 1000hp.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1165616)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i noticed the change too at long beach, the popping and wail of the engines now has a more violent and "caged animal" sound very growly...before it was a bit more shrill and banshee like still the same feeling of unleashed fury, but they simply revved higher (and 1000 hp easy, i saw champcars do "wheelies[-well front wheel lifts a noticiable amount from the stands during a caution]" at the Chicago oval races when i was there-montoya and vasser in the target cars especially, even the Mercedes engine could do it...in a sprint car is one thing, but the Champcar and it wheel base!)
Old 27 Nov 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1165619)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

Oh and I would referto this thread more appropriately as Engine Sounds-versus noise.
champcars sound terriffic- where as noise eminates from my cracked exhaust manifold and stuffed up resonator in my car
Old 27 Nov 2004, 12:55 (Ref:1165627)   #6
astinus4
Racer

Australia
Darwin, Australia
astinus4 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
the popping and wail of the engines now has a more violent and "caged animal" sound very growly...before it was a bit more shrill and banshee like
Good adjectives gttouring, describes my impression of the differences as well.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 22:44 (Ref:1165866)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

ah to be the frustrated artist
Old 28 Nov 2004, 03:39 (Ref:1165966)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
gttouring, do you mean there was very visable weight transfer to the rear or did you actually see under the tire?
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:19 (Ref:1167478)   #9
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Champcar ever revved to 18k rpms. I think around 15-16 was the highest point. I think they sounded a lot better then. Now even the Toyota Atlantics sound similar to a Champcar, and thats just not right. I think they should raise the rev's to at least 14k, and then lower the boost to keep the HP down a bit. I doubt it will effect the life of the engines TOO much.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1167491)   #10
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im glad we still can hear Champ Car engines.