Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Dec 2001, 14:05 (Ref:191928)   #1
danielcombs
Rookie

danielcombs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pace car stolen?

Does anyone know about the pace car that was stolen in the 80's by a drunk guy? If so, please leave some info on it. We have been wondering about that for months trying to remember who it was and what year, and so on.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 14:12 (Ref:191930)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't recall that... but there are a couple of incidents that do come to mind.. the drunk in a Valiant that got onto the circuit somehow at Oran Park and joined in the endurance race was one...

And the theft of the BRM 2.5 ex-F1 car the night before the Ballarat International race in Central Victoria in 1961. Dan Gurney's car it was, poor old Dan had never won a race in a BRM and this was about his last drive for them before going to Porsche... and the car gets pinched.

They found it the next morning under some haybales at the other end of the circuit... it was an airfield.... none the worse for the experience...

And Dan won the race!
Old 31 Dec 2001, 14:14 (Ref:191933)   #3
danielcombs
Rookie

Sorry, I mean the Indy 500 pace car.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 14:21 (Ref:191937)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Does this mean the thread is in the wrong forum?
Old 31 Dec 2001, 14:22 (Ref:191941)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds like it - but welcome anyway, Daniel
Old 31 Dec 2001, 15:31 (Ref:191983)   #6
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was some drunk fool who stole the pace car at Talledega awhile back. Only this guy was pretty brave about it and drove it around the speedway in front of 150,000 people. So when they finally got him to stop, well, this is Alabama, son. The cops just beat the snot out of the guy. On national TV. There was no lawsuit.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 15:36 (Ref:191987)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin
There was some drunk fool who stole the pace car at Talledega awhile back. Only this guy was pretty brave about it and drove it around the speedway in front of 150,000 people. So when they finally got him to stop, well, this is Alabama, son. The cops just beat the snot out of the guy. On national TV. There was no lawsuit.
Sounds like Sheriff Buford T. Justice was on duty that day

I guess this is the American version of Britain's ever-popular "flasher on the football pitch" routine.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 15:41 (Ref:191992)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
I don't recall that... but there are a couple of incidents that do come to mind.. the drunk in a Valiant that got onto the circuit somehow at Oran Park and joined in the endurance race was one...
Did he win?

A few cars were stolen on the Dakar as well, most notably a works Peugeot 405 T16.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 15:56 (Ref:191996)   #9
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Richard burns' car get stolen at some rally last year? And they recovered it just in time to start the stage?
Old 31 Dec 2001, 16:16 (Ref:192003)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

Reminds me of another... Allan Moffat's Falcon GT HO was stolen on the eve of the Adelaide endurance race one year, joyriders got it and it remained unfound for a day or two...

Unfortunately Moffat was able to borrow Murray Carter's similar car and win anyway...
Old 31 Dec 2001, 16:23 (Ref:192005)   #11
danielcombs
Rookie

does anyone know the year?
Old 31 Dec 2001, 16:25 (Ref:192007)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
A number of years ago, a couple of pranksters broke into the pits before an F1 Grand Prix (can't remember where or when) and swapped bits of bodywork around on the cars...
Old 31 Dec 2001, 16:29 (Ref:192009)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
A number of years ago, a couple of pranksters broke into the pits before an F1 Grand Prix (can't remember where or when) and swapped bits of bodywork around on the cars...
Minardi for Ferrari?

Now that really does sound like a fun idea to me!

Or even more fun, how about if some pranksters swopped Bernie's bank account for mine? A Happy New Year for me and a coronary for Bernie!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 31 Dec 2001 at 16:31.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 18:33 (Ref:192056)   #14
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's one I've got to try some time...
Old 31 Dec 2001, 18:40 (Ref:192060)   #15
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!

Then there's Nazareth with CART last year - and the pace car/ Safety truck near misses - about 2 if I recall!
Old 1 Jan 2002, 11:13 (Ref:192190)   #16
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Reminds me of another... Allan Moffat's Falcon GT HO was stolen on the eve of the Adelaide endurance race one year, joyriders got it and it remained unfound for a day or two...

Unfortunately Moffat was able to borrow Murray Carter's similar car and win anyway...
I remember this one Ray.

And aren't you faint with the praise here.

Moffat wins in another guys car and he still is a goose. I guess he had more money than the rest right?

Moffat is the rarest of beasts... A genuine Ford hero!