Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Feb 2018, 00:13 (Ref:3800827)   #3276
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
But not a "what the series looks like" point of view.

Cause right now it kinda looks like we're using a second rate product. I know that's not 100% due to the company that makes the product, but also the company that required that specific product.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 02:16 (Ref:3800838)   #3277
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
But not a "what the series looks like" point of view.

Cause right now it kinda looks like we're using a second rate product. I know that's not 100% due to the company that makes the product, but also the company that required that specific product.
That is fair. I do think that Conti deserve their due for how well they have marketed the sport since the merger. In saying that, I think the series bringing Michelin into the top class was a no brainer.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 03:42 (Ref:3800854)   #3278
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
They're going to use the standard Michelin customer tire as far as I know, in both Prototype and GTD. And if that's the case, they won't be much quicker, if at all, than the Continental (especially the first season while everyone is trying to figure out how to make it work).

-mike
Old 13 Feb 2018, 04:48 (Ref:3800859)   #3279
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
They're going to use the standard Michelin customer tire as far as I know, in both Prototype and GTD. And if that's the case, they won't be much quicker, if at all, than the Continental (especially the first season while everyone is trying to figure out how to make it work).

-mike
I think they have a new LMP2 tire coming out this year for WEC competition and is the Michelin GT3 tire the same thing as "the standard Michelin customer tire?"

Quote:
It’s understood Michelin plans to utilize its newly developed LMP2 tire for the Prototype class, with its proven GT3-based option for GTD teams.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/mi...or-imsa-teams/
Old 13 Feb 2018, 04:50 (Ref:3800860)   #3280
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

-mike
That was my take after the interviews with Michelin officials during the Daytona broadcast. They need to make tires for the p 2 / DPI class which they were going to use their existing P2 Tire, and for GTD they will just use their existing GT3 Tire. I think Dunlop is the tire of choice in P2 these days, but I'm just basing that on grid numbers not performance.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3800880)   #3281
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunlop is the main lmp2 supplier, some team switched to michelin to soon come back to dunlop, while some team sticking with michelin didn't get any real improvement at all.
With michelin customers, guess that IMSA lmp2 will be as fast as dunlop WEC/ELMS lmp2.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 11:53 (Ref:3800919)   #3282
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I think any pick up in speed won't be from simply switching from continental to Michelin, but to a tire design that is 5 years newer. Michelin has been evolving their customer tires all along. Quotes from Daytona lead me to believe that continental has been selling a formula from at least as old as 2013.

It won't be 5 seconds a lap faster, but it'll be enough to notice. I imagine race pace will stay roughly the same, but the faster qualifiers will see some improvement. In my uneducated "I've seen a stack of tires" opinion.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3800962)   #3283
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should we expect Michelin to try their standard tire at Daytona (and will it work?) or will they try to make a custom model and hope it works first time? They do have some data from LMGT.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3801041)   #3284
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Should we expect Michelin to try their standard tire at Daytona (and will it work?) or will they try to make a custom model and hope it works first time? They do have some data from LMGT.
As far I know each manufacturer use confidential compound for their cars developed with michelin engineers; even if I recall well in 2014 during silverstone heavy rain race, ferrari complained about how michelin supplying a real ultra wet compound tires only to porsche.
Anyway, it's really unlikely that gt or gt3 tires could be used as base for lmp2/dpi.

About timelap improvements, well a direct comparison there will be during sebring 12H with IMSA michelin lmp2 and WEC mainly dunlop lmp2.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3801043)   #3285
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Michelin only puts their best tires in open tire classes (IMSA/WEC) because in WEC P2 and GTE-AM there is a "tire claim rule". They don't want Dunlop getting their hands on their confidential tires -- it's also why the tires are returned to Michelin after sessions and in the event of failures and teams can be fined for "losing" them. The "confidential" Dunlops are very good, but not as good as the Michelins so they aren't afraid of Michelin deconstructing/reverse-engineering the tires.

The Dunlop "customer" tires are better than the Michelin "customer".

However, the tires companies are always very coy when it comes to what exact specification tire they're going to supply to a spec-tire class for any series. Especially for IMSA as I can almost guarantee you that the tires used at Daytona will be different than the rest of schedule.

However, don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them in the series. They should be a good upgrade from the Continentals once they're sorted out.

-mike

ps: a single "confidential" tire set costs around $10k USD (as of 2014, maybe more now) versus $2,500 for Continental/Pirellis. Of course, most of the big teams have marketing deals to offset these costs.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 18:00 (Ref:3801324)   #3286
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Michelin only puts their best tires in open tire classes (IMSA/WEC) because in WEC P2 and GTE-AM there is a "tire claim rule". They don't want Dunlop getting their hands on their confidential tires -- it's also why the tires are returned to Michelin after sessions and in the event of failures and teams can be fined for "losing" them. The "confidential" Dunlops are very good, but not as good as the Michelins so they aren't afraid of Michelin deconstructing/reverse-engineering the tires.

The Dunlop "customer" tires are better than the Michelin "customer".

-mike
Mike, this may be something you aren't familar with, but do you know if Michelin customer teams are able to keep tires and sell them once they're "done" with them? Lots of contis would end up on sites like usedracingtires.com. A "not that great" barely used racing slick makes for a very very good HPDE tire
Old 15 Feb 2018, 03:41 (Ref:3801420)   #3287
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Mike, this may be something you aren't familar with, but do you know if Michelin customer teams are able to keep tires and sell them once they're "done" with them? Lots of contis would end up on sites like usedracingtires.com. A "not that great" barely used racing slick makes for a very very good HPDE tire
The generic off the shelf customer tire (that I'm sure IMSA will be supplying to Prototype and GTD teams) is available for purchase by anyone and Michelin doesn't care what you do with it after you buy it (same as Conti/Pirelli).

Think of the "confidential" tire as more of a lease. The teams who use them don't own them to re-sale.

-mike
Old 15 Feb 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3801639)   #3288
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The generic off the shelf customer tire (that I'm sure IMSA will be supplying to Prototype and GTD teams) is available for purchase by anyone and Michelin doesn't care what you do with it after you buy it (same as Conti/Pirelli).

Think of the "confidential" tire as more of a lease. The teams who use them don't own them to re-sale.

-mike
Gotcha, thanks.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3801645)   #3289
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:

-mike
Yeah basically, like lmp1, dpi and lmp2 engines.
Remember in late 2016, WTR team sold one of their corvette DP to a private collector without any engine inside.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3801649)   #3290
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Yeah basically, like lmp1, dpi and lmp2 engines.
Remember in late 2016, WTR team sold one of their corvette DP to a private collector without any engine inside.
There's been more than a few. The Mitty paddock at Road Atlanta last spring had at least 3 Vette DPs and multiple older spec DPs. The race winning Whelen Vette DP was racing the next April in HSR, if you believe the signage exactly as was raced at Petit.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3803273)   #3291
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I forgot to share this

Quote:
"Alongside their LMP1 programme, Mecachrome are looking at the necessary modifications to build an engine (based on the 3.4-litre V6) for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. The French engine manufacturer has also been selected by PSA Motorsport for the machining and assembly of its four-cylinder turbocharged engines issued from the PSA range for the new C3 R5.”

source
Old 2 Jul 2018, 15:13 (Ref:3834314)   #3292
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After reading some comments on the DPi/LMP2 balance and the time by IMSA seemingly needs until the classes are balanced (this and last year) whatever the reason may be.
Because of the development of the DPi cars they had an advantage at the beginning of the season after it seemed that the different classes were balanced at the end of last season.
I seem to remember reading that after some unspecified time DPi development would be frozen too and the cars homologated. Has this idea been dropped or is this still planned to do?
Old 2 Jul 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3834320)   #3293
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
After reading some comments on the DPi/LMP2 balance and the time by IMSA seemingly needs until the classes are balanced (this and last year) whatever the reason may be.
Because of the development of the DPi cars they had an advantage at the beginning of the season after it seemed that the different classes were balanced at the end of last season.
I seem to remember reading that after some unspecified time DPi development would be frozen too and the cars homologated. Has this idea been dropped or is this still planned to do?
I believe the homologation was set last year, they were on draft homologation but required submission of parts and why they're being changed to IMSA for testing. I don't know if it was finalized at some point but I would assume Mazda and Acura are running on draft this year. Mazda with their Joest attempt to fix a pig and Acura getting the same treatment as the previous DPis.

Does anyone have set proof, not the usual I heard from X, that homologation was ever set or that development is still ongoing? It's not like we hear every race about new parts they've been testing and the new spec car but then the FoxSports crews aren't that diligent on a good day
Old 2 Jul 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3834352)   #3294
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

The burning Mazda is still the cover photo on Tapatalk for this thread.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 01:49 (Ref:3834382)   #3295
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I believe the homologation was set last year, they were on draft homologation but required submission of parts and why they're being changed to IMSA for testing. I don't know if it was finalized at some point but I would assume Mazda and Acura are running on draft this year. Mazda with their Joest attempt to fix a pig and Acura getting the same treatment as the previous DPis.

Does anyone have set proof, not the usual I heard from X, that homologation was ever set or that development is still ongoing? It's not like we hear every race about new parts they've been testing and the new spec car but then the FoxSports crews aren't that diligent on a good day

My closest IMSA source retired from their job in the offseason, so the following is all what I've heard through the grapevine. In short, take this with a grain of salt.

What I've heard is that Nissan and Cadillac have locked in a homologation of all parts at Daytona, and must get IMSA approval to install any new design parts.

Acura supposedly does not need to homologate until next year because this is their first year, and Mazda is being given room to work both because the base chassis also required a complete overhaul and because they partnered with a new team.

Like I said, I no longer have a reliable source, so if anyone with better info can confirm or refute it would be much appreciated.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 21:35 (Ref:3834480)   #3296
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
JDC are reportedly looking at a possible Hyundai DPI program if they can't work out a deal with HPD/Acura, or Mazda, Cadillac or Nissan. This per Racer Magazine.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3834484)   #3297
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
JDC are reportedly looking at a possible Hyundai DPI program if they can't work out a deal with HPD/Acura, or Mazda, Cadillac or Nissan. This per Racer Magazine.

Per Marshall Pruett, so take it with a grain of salt. I like Pruett most of the time, but he's been pushing a LOT of non-stories about alleged new DPi manufacturers for the past couple years. Any news of a possible new manufacturer joining DPi should be taken with a "believe it when I see it" mentality at this point.

(especially when it's one that isn't already entered in GTLM or GTD)
Old 3 Jul 2018, 23:06 (Ref:3834491)   #3298
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
DSC are also reporting on it now, though it's just a hook up to the Racer story.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 00:23 (Ref:3834500)   #3299
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If and when the classes are split (which would be awesome if there are sustainable numbers), I'd still like to see the P2 cars be able to modify to compete in DPi if they want to. Allow them to use whatever dampers they want and, I don't care what Gibson says, that 3.4L has more in it. I still want to see true privateers compete in the top class and that might be the ticket.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3834560)   #3300
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
If and when the classes are split (which would be awesome if there are sustainable numbers), I'd still like to see the P2 cars be able to modify to compete in DPi if they want to. Allow them to use whatever dampers they want and, I don't care what Gibson says, that 3.4L has more in it. I still want to see true privateers compete in the top class and that might be the ticket.
yeah, but the whole point of the P2 portion of the P class is that Euro/global cars can come over and race unmodified. letting IMSA P2s do Anything different might hinder that ... though I cannot imagine anything hinders it more than the double-whammy of bad BoP and Continental tires.