Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Nov 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2581354)   #1
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Donington (Have you found it yet?) discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Apparently there's a crew up in Derbyshire who've just become available at short notice...
Donington Park is in LEICESTERSHIRE if you don't mind. (As is the East Midlands / Nottingham Airport!)
Old 13 Nov 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2581378)   #2
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry, but you got the punchline, so does it matter...
Old 13 Nov 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2581381)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
you are not alone Tim i thought Donington was in Derbyshire as well.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2581450)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought it was 'sort of north'?.I'll bet that Silverstone bribed all of the DVL contractor's to cock it up just so they could get the GP back.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 21:28 (Ref:2581608)   #5
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Au contraire, mon brave.

Indeed a quick Google brought up their full address:

Donington Pk, Castle Donington Derby Derbyshire DE74 2RP

Now, that's not to say that SOME of the circuit isn't in Leicestershire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Donington Park is in LEICESTERSHIRE if you don't mind. (As is the East Midlands / Nottingham Airport!)
Old 14 Nov 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2581822)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't really argue with that!! Mallory is in Kent,isn't it?
[Wonder if all of that earth moving has affected the County Boundaries?]
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2581827)   #7
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to remember the Melbourne Loop and the Donington Collection are in Derbyshire and most of the circuit is in Leicestershire.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2581833)   #8
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The old Melbourne Loop, what is left of it, is mostly in Derbyshire as are parts of the Sunday Market operational area. The rest of the park and, afaik, all of the current circuit is in Leicestershire.

Never pay any attention to postal addresses and telephone exchange identifiers.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2581846)   #9
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Map

The black line with long dashes and dots between to the left of the OS map is the county boundary.

As can be seen the tip of the old Melbourne loop is in Derbyshire (left of the boundary line). As I recall when the new Melbourne loop was added one of the reasons it was not made like the old loop included, in part, that getting 2 lots of planning permission from different counties and local councils would be more trouble than it would be worth. That and the issue of a few occupied industrial buildings in the way.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2581849)   #10
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The old Melbourne Loop, what is left of it, is mostly in Derbyshire as are parts of the Sunday Market operational area. The rest of the park and, afaik, all of the current circuit is in Leicestershire.

Never pay any attention to postal addresses and telephone exchange identifiers.
Correction - not as much of the loop as I thought is in Derbyshire according to the OS map, though the comments about the Sunday market would have been true when is was mostly at the bottom end of the loop before the large tarmac area alongside Redgate Lodge was developed.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2581901)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep and Pembrey is in Wales and you still have to pay to get in! buts its free to get out.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2582943)   #12
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF and I mean IF the circuit is ever re-opened with all these boundries being identified in their correct grid positions, will, with a possible incoming Tory government with plans to de-centralise authority to the shire counties cause even more problems with planning for any future developers of the site?
Old 16 Nov 2009, 17:11 (Ref:2582951)   #13
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer View Post
Au contraire, mon brave.

I'll still stick to my guns if you don't mind, the circuit is most certainly in Leicestershire.
Now, obviously they moved their offices off-shore into Derbyshire for tax reasons (the Council Tax that is, it's probably cheaper!)
Old 16 Nov 2009, 17:20 (Ref:2582964)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer View Post
Au contraire, mon brave.

Well, I live in Castle Donington and my postal address has Derby as the POSTAL TOWN but that does not mean that Castle Donington is in Derbyshire. It isn't. Melbourne, however, the next village to the west, is in Derbyshire, hence the fact that elements of the pre war circuit (and the current location of the sunday mkt) are in Derbyshire.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2582999)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
According to the map the circuit is in Leicestershire as is the vast majority of the market.

I've highlighted the border in red and photoshopped out the border guards.
Attached Thumbnails
don1.jpg  
Old 17 Nov 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2583564)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Well, I live in Castle Donington and my postal address has Derby as the POSTAL TOWN but that does not mean that Castle Donington is in Derbyshire. It isn't. Melbourne, however, the next village to the west, is in Derbyshire, hence the fact that elements of the pre war circuit (and the current location of the sunday mkt) are in Derbyshire.

I wouldn't tell Royal Mail
Old 17 Nov 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2583565)   #17
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
According to the map the circuit is in Leicestershire as is the vast majority of the market.

I've highlighted the border in red and photoshopped out the border guards.
Tim,

I'm never sure about 'fixing' the boundaries - you know what politicians are like for changing them if it helps the local voting ....

The current market, pother than a bit of parking perhaps, is indeed in Leicestershire, though the entrance to the site is in derbyshire. When it first became a 'permanent' Sunday activity it straddled the old Melbourne Loop which, from memory of the only times I happened to see it, would have meant that the market and parking for it, depending on what was allocated to where, would have been about half in each county.

Once the trees (Hollywood or remains thereof?) on the outside of the circuit wall at Redgate/Hollywood disappeared and that area was paved over it allowed the market to migrat eup the hill (and out of the mud) to its current location, which is entirely in Leicestershire as far as I know.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2583566)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I wouldn't tell Royal Mail
They seem to have found out anyway ....
Old 17 Nov 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2583609)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Tim,

I'm never sure about 'fixing' the boundaries - you know what politicians are like for changing them if it helps the local voting ....

The current market, pother than a bit of parking perhaps, is indeed in Leicestershire, though the entrance to the site is in derbyshire. When it first became a 'permanent' Sunday activity it straddled the old Melbourne Loop which, from memory of the only times I happened to see it, would have meant that the market and parking for it, depending on what was allocated to where, would have been about half in each county.

Once the trees (Hollywood or remains thereof?) on the outside of the circuit wall at Redgate/Hollywood disappeared and that area was paved over it allowed the market to migrat eup the hill (and out of the mud) to its current location, which is entirely in Leicestershire as far as I know.
If you say so but someone ought to tell streetmap.co.uk and Ordnance Survey that they have marked the boundaries in the wrong place.
Are you confusing council boundaries with real life boundaries? Some boroughs in Kent come under London.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2583630)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Didn't they have to apply for planning permission to TWO councils? Back in the old days when we thought there was going to be a GP in Dereicestershire?
Old 17 Nov 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2583657)   #21
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
If you say so but someone ought to tell streetmap.co.uk and Ordnance Survey that they have marked the boundaries in the wrong place.
Are you confusing council boundaries with real life boundaries? Some boroughs in Kent come under London.
Tim,

No - I think you have the boundaries in the right place. I was more suggesting that your edit version would become a 'fixed' reference whereas the linked OS version, so long as it did not vanish as a place to link to, would eventually reflect changes over time. Boundary commission stuff and all that. Your fixed version is probably better in reality.

In the old Sunday market position the market stalls tended to be along the lines of the loop but some car parking was at the botton of the hill - therefore to the left of the boudary line and in Derbyshire. Stuff used to move around a bit back then but permission from both councils would have been required in any case.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2583661)   #22
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Didn't they have to apply for planning permission to TWO councils? Back in the old days when we thought there was going to be a GP in Dereicestershire?
Not for circuit development. However I believe there was (and is) a requirement to involve Derbyshire is any permits for use of the park where the part in Derbyshire is involved - which means whenever that Old Melbourne Loop entrance is in play or some other 'experience' activity is running down there.