Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Feb 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3800672)   #851
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Code 60 on part of course where incident has occurred at Nordschleife.Full course Code 60 at Spa.Resort to safety car at Spa sometimes.
If safety cars can be avoided with a 160 car field on a 22k circuit where the speed differential is greater than Bathurst and there is night time racing then it is possible here.
The issue with implementing a Code 60 at Bathurst compared to the two tracks mentioned above is space. At Bathurst, quite frequently you have only the gap between the two walls to work with, and you don't have the luxury of being able to send the cars outside the white lines to assist with giving the cleanup crew space to safely work. Frequently the track needs to be blocked for the purposes of turning a car around, putting it onto a tow truck, cleaning debris etc. That can only happen if there is a big gap between cars, just the way that a SC banks up the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Before they think about implementing a solution they have to cleanse themselves of the Supercar Safety Car=Entertainment Car mentality that assumes motor racing fans have the concentration span of a stick insect.
Nobody in Race Control at the 12 hour was from Supercar Events, from the Race Director down. That mentality was not in Race Control, and at the briefing the drivers were told that the Safety Car was only going to be used when absolutely necessary, no other times.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3800677)   #852
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't believe Code 60 could be applied to all instances where a safety car is best-suited.

I can't think of any instance in the race where the safety car wasn't justified.

If a car was buried deep into the ouside sandtrap at the Chase, you could maybe utilise a Code 60.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3800714)   #853
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not a marshall but can anybody comment on the veracity of the statements that the yellow took some time because they had to call it in on the radio before they could wave the yellow?

Doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3800729)   #854
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Normally a flagger/marshal would hold the yellow in his hands all the time (s)he is on YF duty and won't need permission from race control to display the yellow flag - or hit the light button/switch for that matter. Or at least that's what I'm used to on both sides of the Atlantic.

Having the flag in your hands all the time is one of my basic instructions to new flaggers/marshals. Imo the yellow is the most vital of the flags to be shown instantly to the drivers, there is no excuse for displaying it with a delay!
Old 12 Feb 2018, 21:36 (Ref:3800791)   #855
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Normally a flagger/marshal would hold the yellow in his hands all the time (s)he is on YF duty and won't need permission from race control to display the yellow flag - or hit the light button/switch for that matter. Or at least that's what I'm used to on both sides of the Atlantic.

Having the flag in your hands all the time is one of my basic instructions to new flaggers/marshals. Imo the yellow is the most vital of the flags to be shown instantly to the drivers, there is no excuse for displaying it with a delay!
Concur - the YELLOW (Flag or Lights) is the most important flag at any Flag Point and must take priority over just about any other activity apart from RED.

Flag Points can have personnel leave for a toilet break etc but there must always be someone on the Yellow.

Far too much has been said about this particular incident, mainly because of the continued prompting by one person on here...
Old 13 Feb 2018, 08:55 (Ref:3800882)   #856
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Spa also have the facility to use 2 safety cars should it be necessary for some races.
Bathurst has used 2 safety cars before as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa
If a car was buried deep into the ouside sandtrap at the Chase, you could maybe utilise a Code 60.
What about cars in the sand at Hell, Murray's or McPhillamy as have all happened in recent 12hrs. What about if a kangaroo is bouncing around near the track or what if there is a rock on the track as per last years B1000, surely then Code 60's could certainly be utilised.

While I certainly take the point about the top of the mountain, the verges in most places across the top were never really much wider before all the walls were put up. Surely if we could send trucks around the track to pickup crashed vehicles with cars at racing speeds in the 70s, we could send trucks around the track with cars limited to 60km/h in 2018?

Amongst other things, it wouldn't have rendered Mostert's stunning opening stint pointless....
Old 15 Feb 2018, 02:05 (Ref:3801405)   #857
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Supercars investigating Bathurst warning system
Old 15 Feb 2018, 02:22 (Ref:3801411)   #858
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Bathurst has used 2 safety cars before as well

What about cars in the sand at Hell, Murray's or McPhillamy as have all happened in recent 12hrs. What about if a kangaroo is bouncing around near the track or what if there is a rock on the track as per last years B1000, surely then Code 60's could certainly be utilised.

While I certainly take the point about the top of the mountain, the verges in most places across the top were never really much wider before all the walls were put up. Surely if we could send trucks around the track to pickup crashed vehicles with cars at racing speeds in the 70s, we could send trucks around the track with cars limited to 60km/h in 2018?

Amongst other things, it wouldn't have rendered Mostert's stunning opening stint pointless....
The 60 in Code 60 refers to 60mph.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 02:23 (Ref:3801412)   #859
Umai Naa
Veteran

http://www.supercars.com/news/champi...arning-system/

I was beginning to think I was crazy in suggesting changes potentially for the advancement in safety for all...
Old 15 Feb 2018, 02:29 (Ref:3801414)   #860
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A "foolproof system"...this will be good to see!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 02:32 (Ref:3801415)   #861
Umai Naa
Veteran

Just like the use of a flag.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 03:59 (Ref:3801424)   #862
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Just like the use of a flag.
Yep...I was thinking you were crazy as well...no longer in doubt though

How many emails did you send to Supercars?

Now...we need a name for this new "Foolproof" System...maybe:

"The Umai Naa automatic engine limiter engagement, dashboard yellow, giant Yellar screen every 10 metres, multi-chicane, multi-speed hump, school zone, super safe, slow cars down Complex"????

[Aircraft have triple and more redundant systems and they still come to grief]
Old 15 Feb 2018, 04:58 (Ref:3801429)   #863
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder how quickly someone could become aware of the existance of a stopped car at Sulman Park, and then hit the warning light button if they are sitting in Race Control....
Old 15 Feb 2018, 05:00 (Ref:3801430)   #864
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I wonder how quickly someone could become aware of the existance of a stopped car at Sulman Park, and then hit the warning light button if they are sitting in Race Control....
that, in my opinion would not work.

The whole intention is is to be almost instantaneous as a yellow flag would be (maybe quicker, as its just hit the button, not requirement to lift a flag)
Old 15 Feb 2018, 08:56 (Ref:3801487)   #865
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
that, in my opinion would not work.

The whole intention is is to be almost instantaneous as a yellow flag would be (maybe quicker, as its just hit the button, not requirement to lift a flag)
I'm not going to disagree with you on the first part, but....

Quote:
“It could be a warning system in-car, which could potentially be activated from, say, race control in a serious situation when the the circuit blocked.

Also, everything that is old is new again. I wonder if that container at Calder Park still has the traffic lights in it
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3801502)   #866
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It can mean whatever the organiser of the race wants it to mean. Code 60 is just the generic term from when first used by Crevantic.

There would be nothing to stop Code 60 referring to 60km/h in Australia, heck they can make the speed 40km/h or whatever they want.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3801505)   #867
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
er, no - everywhere I've raced in Uk and mainland Europe it means 60Kph
Old 15 Feb 2018, 21:59 (Ref:3801693)   #868
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
On a good day...under 10 seconds if someone calls priority...

But...if there were other incidents being dealt with...Comms can get swamped.

A better solution might be a dedicated Yellow Light team up the top of the mountain...

Personally. I would rather see a review of the line of sight, siting, visibility and protection for the existing Flag Points on top of the Mountain...

Having said that...it is a race track, racing cars sometimes fail to proceed and park in dangerous positions...this happens all over the world...why is a couple of hundred metres of a track used under 5 times per year that "special" to some?
Old 18 Feb 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3802221)   #869
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yellow flags work, they do all over the world. Sometimes drivers choose to ignore the message, believing they can judge the situation on arrival, as a result of which it's often now too dangerous to attend because they're wrong.

Unfortunately this point of the circuit has previously seen secondary impacts due to drivers ignoring the message they were being given and lights wouldn't change that as it's a choice they make.

On this occasion tv pictures appear to show a delay in the flag being shown, although I'm well aware tv can give a false impression. None of us here knows for certain therefore, and speculation is probably unhelpful.

I was one of the foreign marshals attending and so I'd like to make it completely clear that we did so as a choice - a chance to experience one of the greatest circuits in the world - and there is no question of us coming in 'to help' as commented above, the implication of that being that the local marshals need that help. They absolutely don't, and everyone I had the pleasure of working with displayed the same degree of skill and professionalism as I'm accustomed to anywhere I've been. No worries on that score.