Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 May 2002, 07:05 (Ref:284614)   #1
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Skaife - ...the fat

For those who are interested, and don't know already, Mark Skaife will be one of the panelists on the ABC sports show "The Fat" which is on at 9:30pm tonight (Monday).

BJ
Old 13 May 2002, 09:54 (Ref:284768)   #2
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Mark Skaife - ...the fat

Quote:
Originally posted by BJAY
For those who are interested, and don't know already, Mark Skaife will be one of the panelists on the ABC sports show "The Fat" which is on at 9:30pm tonight (Monday).

BJ
Thanks for the warning I will be sure to steer clear of it.
Old 13 May 2002, 11:13 (Ref:284880)   #3
Mr Squiggle
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Mr Squiggle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The Fat" is to be renamed "The Fat Nose" in honour of tonight's guest.
Old 13 May 2002, 12:27 (Ref:284963)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I'm not a huge fan of Skaife's. Part of that is his continued success in the wrong car. But that's just me. He did do a good job on a general entertainment show this evening though.

Even with the oblique reference to Moffat Bathurst "77 and the Austrian fiasco of last night.
Old 13 May 2002, 21:21 (Ref:285623)   #5
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the gist of the reference to Bathurst 77? There is absolutely no comparison between the two - first stayed first and second stayed second - in Austria the race was rigged.

Last edited by RaceTime; 13 May 2002 at 21:22.
Old 13 May 2002, 22:15 (Ref:285686)   #6
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bugger - missed it.

I hope he didn't use any big words that those ball sport obsessed morons didn't understand.

Like, sus-pen-sion, tel-em-et-ry, pet-rol....
Old 13 May 2002, 22:19 (Ref:285691)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

rac-ing
sports-man-ship
rigged - races
Old 14 May 2002, 09:07 (Ref:285969)   #8
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Tony Squiers called him Australia's most succeful driver "Ever". What a lot of bull**** just like the rest of the show.
Old 15 May 2002, 04:31 (Ref:286929)   #9
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the gist of the reference to Bathurst 77

Not sure, is that the year Brocky jumped into the other car and won the race? What a farce that year was
Old 15 May 2002, 05:19 (Ref:286949)   #10
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brocky always gets the blame for that but if you watch the doco "Larry Perkins : Endurance Man" it was actually Larry's idea to hijack the other car.

I think 77 was the year the leading Falcon slowed down to allow his tema mate coming second to catch up for a formation finish accross the line.

It's not really a valid comparison to the debacle that happenned in F1 on the weekend.
Old 15 May 2002, 05:20 (Ref:286950)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

Dunno - didn't he do that a couple of times?

Though 77 was the year Moffat and Bond did their one-two (but as I said - one stayed first and two stayed second - there was no 'Pull over and let me win' situation there.
Old 15 May 2002, 06:28 (Ref:286960)   #12
White Knight

My understanding of the 77 situation was that Moffat had problems and Bond was told maintain station. In the aerial shots his car is actually seen to edge ahead on Conrod Straight before Moff took the line into Murrays for a narrow win.

Old 15 May 2002, 06:44 (Ref:286963)   #13
RaceTime
Veteran

Correct - Moffat was seen to be having what was believed to be brake problems.

However, the situation is still entirely different from last weekend.
Old 15 May 2002, 07:16 (Ref:286973)   #14
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't that different. In both situations, team orders dictated that one car must win and the other must finish second. Moffat's car was apparently not in a healthy state while Bond's was, yet team orders stopped Bond from doing what would otherwise have been inevitable - passing Moffat for the win.
Old 15 May 2002, 07:26 (Ref:286977)   #15
RaceTime
Veteran

Disagree - at Bathurst Moffat was already the leader - both of the team AND on the track. Sure he could have been passed but Moffat wasn't being TOLD to slow down.

At Austria, Barrichello was the race leader and was ordered to relinquish the lead despite having been quickest and best ALL weekend.
Old 15 May 2002, 07:31 (Ref:286981)   #16
Aussiefan

I always steer clear of Australian sports shows as usually the word 'sport' in the title refers to Football, cricket and a choice of golf and tennis. Usually motor racing gets a mention if someone has a big crash.

Old 15 May 2002, 07:39 (Ref:286985)   #17
RaceTime
Veteran

owever, before the last couple of laps the clear leader WAS Moffat - of that there is no dispute. Whether he could have finished or if he would have broken down is neither here nor there - he WAS the race leader and to the best of everyones knowledge he would have finished in that position.

Not so in Austria. There was no engine malady (that we yet know of), or any other mechanical problem that caused him to slow down the way he did.
Old 15 May 2002, 08:36 (Ref:287004)   #18
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
owever, before the last couple of laps the clear leader WAS Moffat - of that there is no dispute. Whether he could have finished or if he would have broken down is neither here nor there - he WAS the race leader and to the best of everyones knowledge he would have finished in that position.

Not so in Austria. There was no engine malady (that we yet know of), or any other mechanical problem that caused him to slow down the way he did.
Colin Bond was told by Caroll Smith to stay behind Moffat. The deal that came across the radio (Moffat's team being one of the first to use two way back then) was stay behind Moffat and we will make it worth your while. Up until the early Ninties the issue was still before the courts with respect to moneies owed. I have never found out the outcome of the court case but Moffat clearly had the slower car and his team mate was ORDERED to stay behind. Bondy has often said it was the right thing to do at the time but if he had know what the outcome (hastles with payment) he would not have stayed behind Moffat
Old 15 May 2002, 08:56 (Ref:287018)   #19
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I always steer clear of Australian sports shows as usually the word 'sport' in the title refers to Football, cricket and a choice of golf and tennis. Usually motor racing gets a mention if someone has a big crash.
Exactly - motorsport fans always get shafted in this country.
Old 15 May 2002, 10:22 (Ref:287085)   #20
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
What was the gist of the reference to Bathurst 77? There is absolutely no comparison between the two - first stayed first and second stayed second - in Austria the race was rigged.
and bathurst 77 wasnt????
what do you call being ordered not to overtake your teamate???:confused:
Old 15 May 2002, 10:56 (Ref:287107)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

said it before, and I'll say it again - in 77, the leading driver stayed in that position. There willalways be speculation as to wether Moffat slowed down or5 had mechanical problems that forced him to slow - either way - he slowed and Bond caught him.

In Austria at NO TIME did or was Schumacher in a position to challenge for the lead (neither was Bond IIRC).

And that is the difference - the Falcon slowed and allowed the team mate to catch up. The Ferrari was TOLD to let the slower car pass (and yes, I know Scumacher set fastest lap - but look at WHEN he set it!).
Old 15 May 2002, 11:14 (Ref:287120)   #22
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well then i must have told porkys for the last 25 years, 'cause this is the first i've heard of
A.. moffat not having a car problem

B... bond not being in a position to challenge for the lead.
if this is so, why did bond take the matter to court???
and as far as i know, bond was TOLD not to pass moffat
Old 15 May 2002, 11:56 (Ref:287172)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

OK let's rephrase slightly - were the mechanical problem bad enough to stop him?

I won;t deny Bond may have been told not to pass him.

And as I undertsand it the court action was for payment for the race not for what happened on the track.
Old 16 May 2002, 00:55 (Ref:287693)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what i have heard the mechanical failure was not a terminal one, the car could still go, but at a reduced pace, meaning that Bond was much quicker at the end and was told to slow, as RT said, Bond took it to court because he wasn't being paid what he was told he would get for staying behind.

On a different kind of team order, how about the 1992 ATCC, all through the year Richards seemed to be giving a way to Skaife, and didn't Richards say on the Friday or Daturday of the last round at Oran Park, even though he was only 8 points behind, that the title was Skaife's.

Neither of them is the same as in Austria though.
Old 16 May 2002, 00:55 (Ref:287694)   #25
Mr Squiggle
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Mr Squiggle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The famous (infamous?) 1977 Bathurst win is really not the same thing. That was done for maximum marketing impact and not to "rig" a race. Moffat was in the lead although with a stricken car.

What we had in Austria was a team mate who had been quicker for most of the weekend and the race who ws told to move over at the last minute to give Mr. Number 1 the full points.

I'm not sure which driver is more p***ed off about it, come to think of it.