Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 7 Feb 2003, 09:54 (Ref:499199)   #1
Morcilman
Racer

Spain
Spain
Morcilman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
best books. What is your oppinion?

If you would recommend a book to reed wich one would you? I will go for the "living in the fast lane" (I think) written by a Benneton 94 mechanic. Is his day to day work during the 94 seasson. That is the best motorracing book I´ve read by far. any sugestions?
Old 7 Feb 2003, 10:39 (Ref:499233)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Morcilman, if you enjoyed "Life in the fast lane" (by Steve Matchett) then i'd recommend another book by him..... "The Mechanic's tale"
Old 7 Feb 2003, 12:05 (Ref:499318)   #3
Morcilman
Racer

Spain
Spain
great! whats that about?
Old 7 Feb 2003, 13:00 (Ref:499398)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I recommend

"A French Kiss with Death"
"Colin Chapman - The Man and His Cars" - Jabby Crombac
"The Certain Sound" - The story of John Wyer and Aston Martin, Ford and Porsche

.....for starters......
Old 7 Feb 2003, 13:27 (Ref:499445)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recommend the book of Gilles Villeneuve.
Quite a long read but definately worth it.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 15:21 (Ref:499562)   #6
Morcilman
Racer

Spain
Spain
The Villeneuve one sounds good, but A frenck Kiss with death!!!!! what a title! is it good? what is about?
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:16 (Ref:499698)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Morcilman, its the story of the making of the film "Le Mans" with Steve McQueen. A great read with masses of fantastic photographs.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:44 (Ref:499734)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an old musty book at the back of my school library that I read years ago and really enjoyed - Graham Hill's autobiography...really interesting read...there's this rank old story about him falling over drunk on a table and getting the stem of a wine glass stuck in his knee...

The Professor Sid book is interesting as well...
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:56 (Ref:499746)   #9
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mechanic's Tale, I thought was better than Matchett's first book, which was mainly about 1994. This one has more variety as Matchett talks about how he got started, working with Ferrari and BMW. He does go into his time with Benetton and how the team evolved, but covers a lot of ground in this book (88-98) and is highly recommended by me!
Old 7 Feb 2003, 18:01 (Ref:499753)   #10
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...BTW: Has anyone has read "The Piranha Club" by Timothy Collings? I have thought about buying it, but I'm not sure. It looks quite interesting, but it seems to have got fairly mixed reviews.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 20:05 (Ref:499848)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the best Motor Sport books I have read is Life At The Limit (Triumph and Tragedy in Formula One) by Professor Sid Watkins, well worth a read. I also enjoyed Flat Out Flat Broke by Perry McCarthey.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 10:34 (Ref:500424)   #12
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The book for me has to be "Journeys with Gelignite Jack"
It was written by Evan Green and it revoles around driving a new Morris 850 and Austin 1800 through and around Australia in the early 60's.

Now most Aussie would have heard of Gelignite Jack Murray, he is the man who used to compete in the Round Australia trials and when he got borded or had waste soem time he would blow up dunnies or anything else that he could find. It is one ot the most entertaining reads I have come across.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 16:13 (Ref:501487)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
...BTW: Has anyone has read "The Piranha Club" by Timothy Collings?
I've got it............but only read some of it, it's one of those books that i read "in-between" other books as each chapter is about different people in F1 (i.e... it doesn't follow on from chapter to chapter like a normal book)

The first chapter is all about the Schumacher/Jordan/Benetton debacle which is what strated the Piranha Club in the first place.......... mind boggaling stuff!!!
Old 10 Feb 2003, 22:54 (Ref:502822)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally Id recommend the Le Mans 2002 Annaul authorised by the ACO, for a F1 book however Ive just read Professor Sid Watkins "beyond the limit" which I think is a fantastic book.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 10:26 (Ref:503157)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't tend to read many books about personal accounts of various people, but i did read a old book from 1977 about James Hunt that was my dads.

I got for christmas this year a very good book about Le Mans called (surprise, surprise) Le Mans 24 Hours by Brian Laban.

It charts the history of the race right back from the early 1900's, giving detailed accounts of races, and the accidents with contemporary accounts from publications like Autocar etc.

It also has some amusing tales of the early racers misfortune, with things like being thrown into duck ponds when the seat came off, and the Maison Blanche pile up of '27.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 12:48 (Ref:503300)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I've got the Laban book. I thought it was a good read with a lot of good pics.

Look out for a new book about Mario Andretti. (I have a copy on the way - I hope).
Old 12 Feb 2003, 10:38 (Ref:504197)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two good reads;

- 'Challenge Australia' The story of the 1979 Repco Round Australia Reliability Trial

- '25 Years of the BMC Competitions Department'
Old 13 Feb 2003, 15:17 (Ref:505458)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Yes, I've got the Laban book. I thought it was a good read with a lot of good pics.

Look out for a new book about Mario Andretti. (I have a copy on the way - I hope).
Are you talking about Gordon Kirby's "A Driving Passion"? I've got it, haven't had a chance to read it (or Laban's book, for that matter). I'm still wrapped up in Pete Lyon's Can-Am.

I will say this, though - I was expecting a better story about how Mario won Sebring in 1970.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Feb 2003, 16:59 (Ref:505565)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No, it's a new book by a chap called Mike O'Leary. I have no idea if its a good book or not - I hope the former. (I have a minor connection with it, if you come across it!). And I have a signed copy on the way across the world to me as we speak!
Old 14 Feb 2003, 07:54 (Ref:506173)   #20
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, there is always that classic "The Unfair Advantage" by Mark Donahue. It's a bit boring at times, but still worth your time.

Also another book I read was "Deadly Obsessions, Life and Death in Formula One" by Phil Shirley. The title says it all really, an intersting book on a not so happy topic.

And finally the book I'm reading now, "Inside the Mind of the Grand Prix Driver" by Christopher Hilton. This book takes a psychological view of drivers and what makes them tick.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 07:56 (Ref:506177)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hilton is pretty good. His Senna books are well worth a read.