Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1456489)   #1
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old tracks

Some things I've wondered about some of the great tracks that once graced F1. If I could have some answers/opinions I would appreciate it.

1. Why was the Kyalami track layout changed between 1985 and 1992? From what I've heard and seen, the original Kyalami was a great circuit.

2. Why did the Osterreichring disappear? Was it down to being unsafe or financial problems?

3. In either 1982 or 1983, can't remember the exact year, why did the US get 3 street races?

And a more recent one. In an F1 book I have, published in 2001 I think, it said that F1 was coming back to Brands Hatch in 2002. Was this going to happen or was it most likely a rumour that they decided to print?

If any of this has been discussed in another thread, could you guide me to it please?
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1456493)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 was never really going back to Brands Hatch - it was being used as a bargaining chip with Silverstone.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1456498)   #3
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there a rumour going around at that time? I don't see any other reason for a book to include a comment like that. It said 'F1 is coming home' as Brands Hatch was set to host a Grand Prix in 2002, presumably instead of Silverstone.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1456503)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It never got as far as being on the calendar - and the discussions were a couple of years earlier than that.

I suspect the book's been shoddy with its research
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1456510)   #5
safc_fan89
Veteran

Fair enough. It would be good to see F1 back at Brands Hatch though. What about my other queries?
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1456513)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Austria was dropped after the 1987 race when there were three separate starts due to pile ups.

It was felt to be getting a bit fast and narrow for the turbo cars, although surrounding infrastructure issues may have played a part.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1456515)   #7
safc_fan89
Veteran

I know about that (the pile-ups), but wouldn't a solution have been to simply widen the straight? It would have been far better to modify the track so it had a suitable width, and improve the safety of the track, without turning it into the A1-Ring, which may have produced good racing but was an insult to the old Osterreichring. It's a shame that the old track doesn't even exist now.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1456523)   #8
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's a real pity. Osterreichring was great, and the A1 GP (Bah Dum Chh) circuit was rubbish. Mostly, I was the Nordschliefe
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1456528)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Nintendo - I note from your profile you were born two years after the Osterreichring last hosted a Grand Prix.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking everything before your time was marvellous and everything you can remember is rubbish.

There can be a romanticism of things we never experienced first hand.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1456531)   #10
safc_fan89
Veteran

Well the Osterreichring was great, the A1 Ring was average. I've only watched one race at the track (not live obviously) and the circuit was amazingly quick.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1456539)   #11
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
OK, i meant through replays
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1456562)   #12
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see Formula 1 to return to Bratch Hatch. The run-off areas are too small, and the track facilities even look more old fashion than Silverstone.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1456588)   #13
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I would want Brands to host F1, it never will. There are really to many things to list.

Bernie wants F1 to be the best in the world and thus wants to be at the best tracks in the world with the best facilities in the world.

Alex
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1456599)   #14
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch Lesuire PLC did get the contract to hold the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch and planning permission was granted for the improvements for the circuit. BHL was then purchased by Interpublic under its Octagon brand. The plans were still on until Two Jags called the plans in and Octagon aquired Silverstone. From then on the Brands Hatch plans were dropped and all the Octagon money went to Silverstone and very little work was done at the other 4 venues within the group. The vast majority of the local residents were for the GP coming to Brands.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1456605)   #15
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaf1
As much as I would want Brands to host F1, it never will. There are really to many things to list.

Bernie wants F1 to be the best in the world and thus wants to be at the best tracks in the world with the best facilities in the world.

Alex
Sometimes I think Bernie Ecclestone demands too much. New tracks like Sepang and Bahrein have fantastic facilities, but these tracks don't really have a character like Silverstone, Monza, Spa and Suzuka have.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1456609)   #16
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
There's one think I don't understand. By Turn 1 at Indianalpolis (to make it a bit complicated: it's the last corner of the Grand Prix-circuit ) the wall is just next to the track. There's no run-off area at all. So, why doesn't owners of Imola bring back the original Tamburello and Villeneuve corners?
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1456656)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Nintendo - I note from your profile you were born two years after the Osterreichring last hosted a Grand Prix.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking everything before your time was marvellous and everything you can remember is rubbish.

There can be a romanticism of things we never experienced first hand.
On this occasion though, Nintendo's right I believe. It was an exciting track to watch an F1 race and produced some amazing races, particularly finishes. The Bosch curve was a pretty awesome piece of tarmac too, something a lot of drivers of the time missed after 1987. It was very dangerous too, one of the reasons it was dropped I believe. The old Österreichring claimed the life of Mark Donohue during practice in 1975. In a strange twist of fate, John Watson, who took Mark's place in the Penske, went on to win his first GP there a year later.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1456706)   #18
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
On this occasion though, Nintendo's right I believe. It was an exciting track to watch an F1 race and produced some amazing races, particularly finishes. The Bosch curve was a pretty awesome piece of tarmac too, something a lot of drivers of the time missed after 1987. It was very dangerous too, one of the reasons it was dropped I believe. The old Österreichring claimed the life of Mark Donohue during practice in 1975. In a strange twist of fate, John Watson, who took Mark's place in the Penske, went on to win his first GP there a year later.
That's fair enough regarding the fact it was unsafe. But it could have been changed to make it safe, ie. wider start-finish straight, better run-off areas, flatten the runoff areas (I remember de Cesaris was flipped after driving over some undulating grass) and stuff like that. I have only seen the track once on a DVD but I saw enough to say that it was as good, if not better, than Spa is at the moment.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1456708)   #19
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
There's one think I don't understand. By Turn 1 at Indianalpolis (to make it a bit complicated: it's the last corner of the Grand Prix-circuit ) the wall is just next to the track. There's no run-off area at all. So, why doesn't owners of Imola bring back the original Tamburello and Villeneuve corners?
The wall at Indy is the SAFER wall not concrete until after the exit well onto the front stretch ( on the GP circuit) of that turn. All they need to do at Tamburello was put tyre wall and gravel trap in place rather than mess up the corner.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1456776)   #20
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a track should be easy to go off but updated with the development of cars to make it safer to crash. I completly disagree with the destruction on old tarmac layouts and replacing with Tilke crap.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1456981)   #21
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to first post; Reason for 3 races in USA in 1982 was Bernie decided that was where the money was! For 1983 FOUR rounds were scheduled,Long Beach,Detroit,New York & Las Vegas.NY was scheduled 3 years running & all cancelled due to local political problems.Financial deals cannot have been that good as LV, LB & Detroit all moved to CART. Brands Hatch got a second british race as a result of US cancellations in 1983 & 85.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1457198)   #22
Roly01
Rookie

Roly01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
1. Why was the Kyalami track layout changed between 1985 and 1992? From what I've heard and seen, the original Kyalami was a great circuit.

Hi,

AFAIK, a part of the land where the old track was on was sold, so they had to build a diffirent track.

Roland
Old 10 Nov 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1457224)   #23
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly01
Hi,

AFAIK, a part of the land where the old track was on was sold, so they had to build a diffirent track.

Roland
Shame they couldn't have used the available land more effectively!
Old 10 Nov 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1457226)   #24
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Back to first post; Reason for 3 races in USA in 1982 was Bernie decided that was where the money was! For 1983 FOUR rounds were scheduled,Long Beach,Detroit,New York & Las Vegas.NY was scheduled 3 years running & all cancelled due to local political problems.Financial deals cannot have been that good as LV, LB & Detroit all moved to CART. Brands Hatch got a second british race as a result of US cancellations in 1983 & 85.
I didn't think f1 was popular in America at that stage, even less so than it is now.

3 boring street circuits in one season is a bit much though!
Old 10 Nov 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1457301)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
The wall at Indy is the SAFER wall not concrete until after the exit well onto the front stretch ( on the GP circuit) of that turn. All they need to do at Tamburello was put tyre wall and gravel trap in place rather than mess up the corner.
It woesn't really possible to have a huge gravel trap. There's a small river just behind the Tamburello-corner.