Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 11 Sep 2006, 05:41 (Ref:1707580)   #276
Techo
Racer

Techo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My deepest sympathy to family & Friends of Peter.

Words would'nt cover how much of a loss it is to lose someone like him.

I'm not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but can anyone confirm that Bev & Peter where not actually married ? and that the Kids where Bev's from a previous partner ?

Just that some reports are "his former wife Bev" & others "his former parnter Bev"...regardless they had a wonderful father & partner...

What a legend PB... live life - RIP
Old 11 Sep 2006, 06:55 (Ref:1707599)   #277
Wazzi
Rookie

Australia
Bilpin NSW
Wazzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter and Bev were not married but lived as husband and wife with Bev changing her surname. Only James is from Bevs first marriage Peter is the father of the other two
Old 11 Sep 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1707761)   #278
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't get to originally write a nice post when I first heard about the accident...

Thanks for your insiration PB, I watched your DVD the other night and at theend you said.. look dont be sad its just life.. The best is still to come!

I believe youl be giving it a red hot go at the mountain in the Sky! Hope to catch up having only talked briefly twice, on the second occasion you made my day...

The book and the flag you signed and the photo with you mean so much and will never part from my travels.

Thanks for the memories. Timu.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1707847)   #279
Branagan
Rookie

Branagan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wanted to quickly drop in with a message.

Over the last days, it has been tough to be involved with the motor racing business and we at Motorsport News are no different. The death of Peter Brock in WA last Friday has knocked us for a loop. Apart from being the driver and man he was, Peter had been a supporter of MNews since Day 1, most notably contributing his Idiosyncrasies column for three years. But beyond that, he was a constant source of encouragement behind the scenes, a confidant and motivator and, generally, a guy we were honoured to be around. We feel his loss terribly and our sympathies are with his family, friends and fans, and our thoughts and best wishes are with Mick Hone and his family.

But we have also had the challenge of, somehow, doing justice to Peter’s life in this week’s edition of the magazine. That has meant that, basically, what was planned for the issue – and what had already been produced – has been chucked in the bin and a new issue designed, built largely around a tribute to Brock. As a part of that, this edition will be a little different, as the news content is less than it might otherwise be while we published the stories of many who were close to Peter – from Harry Firth and Allan Moffat to Mark Skaife and Craig Lowndes, and more.

As a part of this, there have been moments in the last four days when, because of the mammoth amount of work involved, we have been inconsiderate, short on the phone, whatever. We know that many of the people we deal with in the sport read this forum from time to time so, may we use this opportunity to say, sorry. We were flat-out having a red-hot go.

We hope that the edition, in some small way, brings a smile to those who now are so sad. We have almost got it done now (2130!) so it’s back to battle and we hope you like it on Wednesday.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1707849)   #280
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The greatest there ever was, or ever will be.

RIP Brockie; you were the one, you made it all happen.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1707936)   #281
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice to hear that Phil. He deserves all the accolades anyone can give him. Looking forward to this week's issue.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Sep 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1707964)   #282
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always look forward to MN. This week i will be buying a couple of issues. Hope you have printed a few extra Phil.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 20:09 (Ref:1708259)   #283
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unbelievable, the part of me that remembers Bathurst on UK tv in the 80's cannot comprehend how this seemingly forever young man could be gone!

RIP Brocky from petrolheads worldwide!
Old 12 Sep 2006, 00:02 (Ref:1708406)   #284
Eng01
Rookie

Eng01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will miss you Peter. Thanks MN for giving a legend the respect he deserves.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 00:35 (Ref:1708420)   #285
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The State Government has announced the details for the State Funeral for Peter Brock.

Here is an extract from the Herald Sun Online.

Trophy tribute to Brock

Anthony Dowsley with AAP

September 12, 2006 12:00am

PETER Brock's state funeral is to be held next Tuesday at St Paul's Cathedral in the city.

Victorian Premier Steve Bracks today announced that the Brock family had accepted the offer of the state funeral, which will start at 11am.

The State Government, last night finalised details of the service with the family.

The state funeral will be followed by a private cremation.

Plans are also being made for a public memorial on Friday, September 22, where Brock's ashes will be driven around Sandown Park race track.

From here on the article goes into various other topics but I only want to share the Funeral & Memorial details.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 01:42 (Ref:1708444)   #286
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's always sad when we lose someone like Peter Brock in this fashion.

There was no slowing down, no getting old, no gradual slide into obscurity, just flat out until the very sudden end.

As Neil Young sang "It's Better to burn out, than to fade away", but I think like a lot of other great people be they "famous" or not, they went too soon regardless of the life they led.

There was a very touching cartoon in yesterdays Daily Telegraph with Peter Brock in a car, offering Steve Irwin a lift, which made me smile and a little sad all at the same time. If anyone has a link to it that would be great.

R.I.P. Brocky, you will be missed.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 02:20 (Ref:1708457)   #287
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz
There was a very touching cartoon in yesterdays Daily Telegraph with Peter Brock in a car, offering Steve Irwin a lift, which made me smile and a little sad all at the same time. If anyone has a link to it that would be great
It was a reprint of a cartoon which appeared in the Saturday Herald-Sun here in Melbourne and can be purchased for $35.

See this link for a copy & purchase details

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/gal...-31197,00.html
Old 12 Sep 2006, 04:42 (Ref:1708488)   #288
Cochise
Rookie

Cochise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My hero is gone.

My heart aches.

My life has changed forever.

RIP Peter Brock

You were, are and always will be the KING.

GOD Bless You
Old 12 Sep 2006, 04:45 (Ref:1708489)   #289
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P Brockie....Unbelievable.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1708802)   #290
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I'm still getting over the shock. My father, on holidays in France, is devastated - he has known Brockie since his very first race. I met him when I was like 8 years old.
Jeeze - what do you say ... I can't recall more than 2 or 3 times when Brockie actually crashed ... he had as good car control as anybody, I reckon.

Anyway, I'll just share one story which really sums up Peter Brock in my humble opinion:

I had the pleasure of spending a Bathurst weekend with none other than Peter Janson's entourage in his double decker bus. All the trappings - booze, food, girls etc and it happened to be e great race for Janson as well - it was the year he followed Brockie around for the last few laps culminating in his glorious 360 degree spin at the finish which saw Brockie not being filmed taking the flag. Now any normal human being would get a bit annoyed at this, I'm sure.
Later on in the evening, after much frivolity, one of the girls (my sister in fact) suggested that we really should congratulate Brock and see what they were up to. The Captain stood up said very loudly "Everybody ... off to Brocks". The entire party (maybe 30 of us) marched over to the Holden tent to do just that. Upon reaching the entrance, we were told in no uncertain terms by the man guarding it to **** OFF. Brock spied Janson and Adrian and intervened - "Everybody in" he said. Now we were 73 sheets to the wind I can tell you but he was a trusting soul, PB. He didnt have to do that and could well have pretended not to notice but he was'nt that sort of guy.
Funny conclusion - Brock said to Janson that he knew what he was doing (getting his sponsors on TV) but that he was cruising to make sure the car was OK. The Captain said "Cruising? ****, I was driving my arse off to keep up".

So good bye Brockie (50% of the reason V8SC is popular by MAKING Ford v. Holden), you will be sorely missed by ALL race fans. You were one of the fastest, cleanest and best race drivers ever. I hope they scatter your ashes down conrod where they belong.

Last edited by Woolley; 14 Sep 2006 at 22:51.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1708831)   #291
CamF1
Rookie

CamF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found this on youtube (hope this isn't a repost):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOTSFrlVG4s

I wish it were 1991 again...
Old 12 Sep 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1708834)   #292
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well my Mum wants her ashes thrown off Skyline, and seeing as that is Brock's Skyline, it's only fitting he be laid to rest there.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 Sep 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1709234)   #293
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sigh. 5 days on and im still getting tears in my eyes when i see footage of him drivel, or even see a picture. that holden speed comparo was great, yet so so hard to watch.

my old man cried on the phone when i told him. hes just totaly shattered and spent the weekend watching old brock movies hes got on tape. i feel i should be celebrating his life, instead i feel the loss of a man who even though i only met him 2x in fleeting circumstances managed to change my life forever.

ill never forget those mornings as a kid when i fired up the old beta video recorder and watched dads bathurst tapes over and over. no cartoons for moi

c you round mate. thanks for the memories and im sorry that you had to leave so soon. you will always be missed by me, my father and all of motor sport will grieve for this.

Graham.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 00:38 (Ref:1709279)   #294
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats Branagan - MN has done an excellent job, at obviously short notice, of honouring Brock. They've spoken individually to a lot of the people who knew Brock well and there are some interesting revelations, one or two are really funny ie check out Alan Gow, Greg Murphy and Paul wiessell, and Lowndes story about how Brock helped him get to grips with Bathurst is great. Never read any of that before anywhere, well done guys. Did check out the other one at the newsagent, dont bother, just a load of photos, no real content
Old 13 Sep 2006, 05:37 (Ref:1709335)   #295
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree it brought both AA and MN and MN has seemed to put far more far more effort into their stories. well done branagan
Old 13 Sep 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1709400)   #296
SkaifeysGal
Racer

Australia
Medowie
SkaifeysGal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I have brought MN too, and to get that together in only a few days, great effort boys, job well done, and also brought AA too, and yeah i agree, MN is a lot better, has more info and stories

Cam, Your a Legend mate!!!
Old 13 Sep 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1709413)   #297
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Congratulations MN. You should be proud of yourself, you managed to properly honour a brilliant man in a very short time period. Well done
Old 13 Sep 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1709567)   #298
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great job by your staff Phil. I bought two copies as promised.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1709629)   #299
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well done MN great tribute to a great racer and a great bloke.

i will be going to melbourne with my mum on monday and i will be going to the state funeral on tuesday and our motel is just up the road from st peter's cathedral.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 23:49 (Ref:1709851)   #300
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great issue Phil. A fitting tribute...

(Still working my way through it there was so much in it!)