Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Feb 2007, 16:42 (Ref:1836467)   #51
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Perhaps the green one was David Piper's - was it in his famous BP green??
He has his F3L now in red...or does he own both?
Might well have been a Piper owned car Andrew, if only I could find the programme which had pics of both of them in I think!

IIRC Richard Attwood raced one of the cars in the event and David Piper was down on the entry list in the other.

However i'm sure one of them pedallled a simiarly liveried Green and Silver Porky 917 in the actual event which might explain why only one of the F3L's started?

There was also a load of T70's, a Ferrari 512M in Yellow?, couple of GT40's, a few Can-Am's and some other assorted nice stuff from the late 60's. It was Jeyes Hygiene sponsored race I think? Certainly a decent field!

F3L is a gorgeous car in any colours though!

Last edited by chunterer; 8 Feb 2007 at 16:52.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1836655)   #52
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I remember David Piper's cars being a darker green than that, I used to work in the adjacent unit from them in Fortis Green Road and often popped in.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 21:17 (Ref:1836719)   #53
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How about the MkIII Capri ?
Old 9 Feb 2007, 01:11 (Ref:1836891)   #54
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow is right!
That F3L is superb! Makes the others look like tractors.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 11:33 (Ref:1837226)   #55
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seeing Andrew's wonderful picture has made me dig this up from the 2006 Walter Hayes Trophy thread. The ex Sid Taylor car 38 years later still going strong, and note my comments! I actually have 'T' shirt featuring this car - I bet you really wanted to know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Frank Sytner in the wonderful ex Sid Taylor Lola. There aren't many better looking mid engined sports racing cars than this (maybe a P4 or a B16?):-

Last edited by John Turner; 9 Feb 2007 at 11:36.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1837252)   #56
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is a great picture but not mine, one that has appeared on 10/10ths before although the photographer is unknown. Yes John, seen you in your shirt a few times! I'll have to show you my McLaren Can-am one!
Old 9 Feb 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1837272)   #57
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
To think I nearly bought one of those with no engine from Paul Hawkins for under a grand in fact we were negotiating at around £750 when he died in the late 60's, and I think he would have sold it to me because I told him I wanted to put a mildish small block in it and run it on the road and he thought I was a crazy pom (fact)! If anyone wants shirts done with pictures incidently I have a great system called Dye Sublimation that can produce a stunning and lasting picture on a shirt. (Can I say that?)
Old 9 Feb 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1837288)   #58
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember that sad day when Hawkeye died. We all know he was killed when he hit that tree at Oulton, I remember it being on the news on the car radio when we were coming back from Brands that evening.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1838206)   #59
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm torn between the BMW M1 and the Porsche 935K3 for sportscars and the Lotus 49B and the Lotus 72 for F1.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 10 Feb 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1838238)   #60
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
I remember that sad day when Hawkeye died. We all know he was killed when he hit that tree at Oulton, I remember it being on the news on the car radio when we were coming back from Brands that evening.
I was bloody gutted when the news broke on Monday morning when I got into work it sticks permantly in my mind to this day, I loved the guy what a character and who knows I may have ended up working for him as we were discussing it and life could have taken a totally different direction. I dare not tell you on line about the Xmas party up at Grand Prix Metalcrafts workshop (also at the Fortis Green Garage complex) cause I will get banned forever.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 20:47 (Ref:1838264)   #61
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The prettiest racing car ever

Maserati 250, Ferrari 250LM.
Al: If I told some of the stories of the antics the North American Atlantic crowd got into the same would happen to me. The novel Stoker Ace had nothing on us!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 10:35 (Ref:1841085)   #62
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1841095)   #63
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was just thinking on the 956/962 as well. Not sure whether its nostalgia getting the better of me, but from my recollections back in the day... boy they looked great.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1841147)   #64
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
gpc cars were consistently the sexiest. good to see those style cars are back with us (although with truck engines!)
Old 14 Feb 2007, 17:22 (Ref:1841458)   #65
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davhut
Lotus 79 in its first JPS guise: black, gold, Mario at the wheel.
Exquisite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
For F1 i'd nominate the JPS Lotus 79 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH
Lotus 79
At the risk of appearing unoriginal: the Lotus 79.

As soon as I saw it I thought it looked perfect.

Allen
Old 14 Feb 2007, 17:26 (Ref:1841461)   #66
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbaiter
Interesting, personally I prefer them without the "Formula 1 style" front wing, like they won at Le Mans in 92 and 93.

http://www.peugeot.com/histoire/muse...detail_905.jpg
Old 15 Feb 2007, 02:30 (Ref:1841810)   #67
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
At the risk of appearing unoriginal: the Lotus 79.
As soon as I saw it I thought it looked perfect.
Allen
And Allen, it was perfect. I still see that Mario chassis several times a year at HGP events. http://www.historicgrandprix.com/
And it IS STILL the most beautiful Formula One car ever made.
Classically wonderful lines, beautiful shape, no weird things hanging off the edges, the colors were astonishing... there is not other word that I know to describe it in it's entirety...constructor, team, designer, color, results, driver... it is perfect as it proved so many decades ago.

Someday when I find the box, I'll post a bunch of photos of the machine. That car still takes my breath away when I annually see it...
DH
Old 15 Feb 2007, 07:50 (Ref:1841910)   #68
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Some of the contenders for prettiest car here. The good old days of 4-3-4 grids at Silverstone, front row of the 1968 Martini International.
Sid Taylor's Lola T70 MkIII of Denny Hulme ( The current world champion at this time), the drop-dead-gorgeous Alan Mann Ford F3L of Frank Gardner, Mike de Udy's Lola and GT40. Wow..

it doesnt really get much better than that - fantastic photo...
Old 3 Mar 2007, 16:14 (Ref:1857226)   #69
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1 Jordan 191
Sports car Porsche 917
Saloon car BMW M3 E30
Grid girl I would be happy with Sophia Loren Catherine Deneuve Elizabeth Taylor

Last edited by John Turner; 3 Mar 2007 at 18:37. Reason: You're obviously older than I thought, drifty!:laugh:
Old 3 Mar 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1857305)   #70
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbaiter
gpc cars were consistently the sexiest. good to see those style cars are back with us (although with truck engines!)
truck engines?
Old 3 Mar 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1857318)   #71
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
He probably means the truck derived V12 Lamborgini engine in the Vipers.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1857343)   #72
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
He probably means the truck derived V12 Lamborgini engine in the Vipers.
All a viper is not a groupC car! (love to have a truck witha DFL.....?)
Old 4 Mar 2007, 07:54 (Ref:1857718)   #73
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought that Vipers had a V10 engine !
Old 4 Mar 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1857725)   #74
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peugeot 908 HDi is the point of reference one would deduce?
Old 7 Mar 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1860838)   #75
Gloves
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Gloves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it's the 1976 Ferrari 312 T2 as driven by Niki Lauda and Clay Regazzoni. I know it was the car Lauda famously crashed at Germany but it was in opinion the best looking GP car of the era.