Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Apr 2007, 12:18 (Ref:1881913)   #51
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Yup seen it.

The Dome makes a good skate board ramp.

Makes a better race track but.
Bring your skateboard out - I'd love to tow you around!

Yes, it is a racetrack!
Old 2 Apr 2007, 12:27 (Ref:1881921)   #52
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Good to see the 'Dome still gets some use at least...

Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Hey Camaroz! Good to hear from you again. How's the Brock Commodore going?

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Good. We (the car and crew) will be at Brocks Big Day Out on April 15, RUNNING! I don't think (at this stage) that a certain collector from Queensland will be able to stop it being there like he did at Bathurst.

I am very p15sed off that all of the articles published on the Peter Brock tribute parade at Bathurst have listed Peter Champion's replica '81 car as my 1980 Bathurst winner, but, we are in the process of sorting that one out.

Chat soon, Cheers.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 16:19 (Ref:1882089)   #53
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SPEEDCAR just will not be a rival to V8 Supercars - Speedcar will more resemble NASCAR using 1930's technology (Speedcar will use fuel injection rather than carburetters, though). I can sense Speedcar going the same way as TRAC though - totally belly up.

V8s at the Calder Thunderdome - in fact on any oval - would be a good idea but would probably never happen. First, find a clockwise oval (OK, Calder is clockwise). It sounds like Calder is in a rather bad state anyway.

NASCAR probably could not race at the Thunderdome unless they ran it in the opposite direction, here in the UK an Ute (albeit it utes with two litre engines) series could not run the oval at Rockingham as they were RHD and the oval goes anticlockwise (it used to hold CART). They had to run some mickey mouse configuration using a nominal part of the road course. Then they made the cars LHD (odd for a British championship, I know.

I feel sure that at some point NASCAR will want to bring the Cup to Ile de Notre Dame along with the Busch series, the Busch is probably just to test the waters.

But, NASCAR at Bathurst *drool*
Old 2 Apr 2007, 17:11 (Ref:1882113)   #54
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
SPEEDCAR just will not be a rival to V8 Supercars - Speedcar will more resemble NASCAR using 1930's technology (Speedcar will use fuel injection rather than carburetters, though). I can sense Speedcar going the same way as TRAC though - totally belly up.

V8s at the Calder Thunderdome - in fact on any oval - would be a good idea but would probably never happen. First, find a clockwise oval (OK, Calder is clockwise). It sounds like Calder is in a rather bad state anyway.

NASCAR probably could not race at the Thunderdome unless they ran it in the opposite direction, here in the UK an Ute (albeit it utes with two litre engines) series could not run the oval at Rockingham as they were RHD and the oval goes anticlockwise (it used to hold CART). They had to run some mickey mouse configuration using a nominal part of the road course. Then they made the cars LHD (odd for a British championship, I know.

I feel sure that at some point NASCAR will want to bring the Cup to Ile de Notre Dame along with the Busch series, the Busch is probably just to test the waters.

But, NASCAR at Bathurst *drool*
NASCAR's have raced at Bathurst twice.

NASCAR certainly could race the 'right' way round the Thunderdome to, they did so from 1988 - 1999.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 23:54 (Ref:1882376)   #55
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Also, V8's can run at any oval, anti-clockwise or not, you just run them the other way round.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 01:21 (Ref:1882391)   #56
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit confusing your reply Duke. THe T/dome is bi-directional. As a matter of fact, why couldn't you run any oval in any direction?
Old 3 Apr 2007, 02:01 (Ref:1882396)   #57
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffy
A bit confusing your reply Duke. THe T/dome is bi-directional. As a matter of fact, why couldn't you run any oval in any direction?
Because on most tracks, road circuits as well, pit lane entrance and exit are shaped differently, safetywise. Take the entrance and exit to Bathurst for example.

Old 3 Apr 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1882487)   #58
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
American Ovals would be designed for running anti clockwise so the driver is further away from the wall as they only have left hand drive cars over there.

The Thunderdome here in Australia was designed for the cars to run either direction so the NASCAR's ran anti clockwise while the locally produced cars ran clockwise in keeping with the driver sitting as far away from the wall as possible.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 10:02 (Ref:1882588)   #59
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would cost more then 10 mil to fix, it's not just the track that's like a 4WD course the stands have holes that you could drop a mack truck in.....The dream is over....never again will it be raced on.....sadly
Old 3 Apr 2007, 11:42 (Ref:1882636)   #60
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, the Dome goes both ways.

AUSCAR went in one direction, NASCAR went the other way.

Never at the same time. That would have been very messy.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 11:56 (Ref:1882644)   #61
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Guys, the Dome goes both ways.

AUSCAR went in one direction, NASCAR went the other way.

Never at the same time. That would have been very messy.
Happened once!
Old 3 Apr 2007, 12:09 (Ref:1882651)   #62
simon5574
Rookie

simon5574 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harves
It would cost more then 10 mil to fix, it's not just the track that's like a 4WD course the stands have holes that you could drop a mack truck in.....The dream is over....never again will it be raced on.....sadly
Surely nothing a few tonnes of concrete cant fix??? Tell him Camaroz

dont ruin my dream, best racing ive ever seen was at the dome.

Bring it back someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3 Apr 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1882720)   #63
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think you're right.
Old 4 Apr 2007, 04:35 (Ref:1883060)   #64
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was speaking to someone formerly in the know (not about the current proposal unfortunately). To refit the track could be a bigger undertaking then 10mil. Like certain earth works at AIR, the Dome was built using the cheapest fill possible.....would this need to be dug out?
Old 4 Apr 2007, 05:03 (Ref:1883069)   #65
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Thanks for the update - being in NSW, I had no idea of the facilities condition. Sad I guess - perhaps the track was ahead of it's time, or perhaps it would be a failure whenever it was built
Old 4 Apr 2007, 05:05 (Ref:1883070)   #66
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffy
Like certain earth works at AIR
What's AIR now like - it used to be one of my favourite
Old 4 Apr 2007, 09:08 (Ref:1883203)   #67
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AIR, well to be nice the stands are in good nic...watch for snakes (not joking), the track is wreck and ruin....makes the dome look like a billiard table.
Old 4 Apr 2007, 11:34 (Ref:1883299)   #68
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it would be fair to say that AIR is breathable, since it is not polluted by any form of motorsport now.
Old 4 Apr 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1883328)   #69
auzziemonza
Rookie

auzziemonza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
AIR, well to be nice the stands are in good nic...watch for snakes (not joking), the track is wreck and ruin....makes the dome look like a billiard table.
I saw the AMRS round on inside speed last year and the track looked oK then? The vision out of the silver Falcon HO was awsome.

I'm sure the AMRS are back again this year. I have also seen the video of 1979 ATCC Final where Morris won the title, it looks a great track, its got a switchback or something of the back straight. A perfect race track anyone can drive, AIR, it looks to me a driver can drive!

They ran 500 mile races at phillip Island with potholes, whats a few bumps??
Old 5 Apr 2007, 02:53 (Ref:1883773)   #70
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The AMRS is going to AIR in July once again.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 05:37 (Ref:1883804)   #71
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
The AMRS is going to AIR in July once again.

At this stage it is........
Old 5 Apr 2007, 05:46 (Ref:1883807)   #72
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been more than a few calendar changes after announcement this year. Don't have a lot of confidence in anyone's calendar this year.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1883881)   #73
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
At this stage it is........
I hope it's still on or the flights being organised to get some of us over there will be wasted.

Remember they said the same about last years round and it went ahead without much local assistance much like the early VMRC rounds here in Victoria.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 09:21 (Ref:1883963)   #74
auzziemonza
Rookie

auzziemonza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
I hope it's still on or the flights being organised to get some of us over there will be wasted.

Remember they said the same about last years round and it went ahead without much local assistance much like the early VMRC rounds here in Victoria.
I've made the decision!

AIR looks fantastic. Booked flights. Booked the "Sombrero". I can wave a flag but I'm not a CAMS official.

PM me with what I need to do.
Old 6 Apr 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1884814)   #75
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its not a CAMS event so dont stress prob email Calder Park