Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Nov 2011, 20:12 (Ref:2992611)   #1
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hillman Imp 5 bearing blocks

Does anyone out there know the history of the 5 bearing block used by Rootes for Hillman Imp racing engines. In particular when (year) they were introduced and who used/developed them.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2992688)   #2
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this thread helpful Peter?

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130269
Old 28 Nov 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2992697)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Robyn. I thought I'd seen something recently but couldn't find it when I looked. Any more info would be useful.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2993024)   #4
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've sent you a PM in response to your own PM on this topic. It was used in period (mid- late-sixties), but was neither a production item, nor to the best of my knowledge was it ever homologated.

Peter Harper's rallycross Imp might well have used one. It is also possible that some of the Fraser race Imps could also have been similarly equipped, although I would expect a 1200 Imp to trounce a 5 port 1300 Mini, whereas Fraser Imps generally ran either as an 850, or in the up to one litre class.

If Fraser used them, then the engine was most likely developed by the late Ian Carter. Dennis Allt might be able to provide some further information about these engines.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2993034)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Fraser imps never used them as far as I know. I had a few contacts there after I left.
Pete Bevan might have some info (he sometimes posts on 10/10ths
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Nov 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2993038)   #6
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
George Bevan certainly had one of the five camshaft bearing deep heads which the factory five main bearing block used, but I don't think he either had or used a five main bottom end, cetainly in the years from 1972-1978 that I spent with him....
Old 29 Nov 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2993042)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I used to see Norman every now and then as he lived in my neck of the woods in the UK but not for several years, I wonder if he is still with us ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !