Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 May 2006, 15:50 (Ref:1623916)   #1
DanJR1
Racer

DanJR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pescarolo's new car?

whats it going to be? he can't run the C60 forever!
Old 31 May 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1623918)   #2
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pug.
Old 31 May 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1623919)   #3
KaspervG
Rookie

Netherlands
KaspervG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be logical if he would run an LC70 with a judd GV5
Old 31 May 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1623972)   #4
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
logic says because he first raced a courage C60 and then later began to improve it by modifying it he would logically do the same with the LC70 with a judd GV5, race the car as a courage then in a few years he would modify the car by first improving the aero making it more reliable then tuning the chassis maybe in 4 years having one of these new fangled super diesel engine from the pug LMP car which we will see racing next year, i think it will be similar history with the new car to when henri bought the C60 pug engined car back in 2001 and it got tuned from there to this incredible machine we have now
Old 31 May 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1623975)   #5
six degrees
Rookie

United Kingdom
six degrees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would Pesca be allowed to again by Courage tho? I mean would Courage even sell him an LC70... if I remember rightly Yves was *incredibly* annoyed that Pesca took it upon themselves to improve the C60. I guess at the end of the day money talks, however I wouldn't be surprised if a new chassis was 100% Pescarolo.
Old 31 May 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1623977)   #6
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by six degrees
would Pesca be allowed to again by Courage tho? I mean would Courage even sell him an LC70... if I remember rightly Yves was *incredibly* annoyed that Pesca took it upon themselves to improve the C60. I guess at the end of the day money talks, however I wouldn't be surprised if a new chassis was 100% Pescarolo.
thats a good question, if yves got all gnarley about henri modifying the C60 then courage may not sell pescarolo another courage incase they do the same to the new LC70, maybe the next pesca could be a scratch built car instead of a mod job on the new LC70 or another chassis but we will see
Old 31 May 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1623985)   #7
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Henri said a few weeks ago at a french radio show that he aims for his own built car, he he can find enough money
another solution could be to stop everything (and it didn't really sounded like a joke ...)
Old 1 Jun 2006, 01:13 (Ref:1624288)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
Henri said a few weeks ago at a french radio show that he aims for his own built car, he he can find enough money
another solution could be to stop everything (and it didn't really sounded like a joke ...)
It would be a true shame if he went. He is such a fixture at Le Mans from his days as a driver through to these years as entrant. Nobody else now has been around around that long I don't think.

I guess he is probably something of a maverick, so Peugeot wouldn't have him run one or more of their new cars?

robert
Old 1 Jun 2006, 06:30 (Ref:1624333)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Is it not feasible that he could help run the Peugeot works team in the same way that Joest works with Audi?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 06:33 (Ref:1624334)   #10
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be a huge blow for our beloved sport if Henri would call it quits. He is a true living legend which in my eyes represent that spirit long gone from other areas of motorsport. people like him, Short, the Creation folks, Intersport, Alphand...they make endurance racing what it is next to the big names like Audi, Aston, Corvette, Peugeot and sooo many others. even Pescarolo@Peugeot would not be the same imho but it would be much better than him gone altogether anyway.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1624397)   #11
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
It would be a true shame if he went. He is such a fixture at Le Mans from his days as a driver through to these years as entrant. Nobody else now has been around around that long I don't think.

I guess he is probably something of a maverick, so Peugeot wouldn't have him run one or more of their new cars?

robert
While my initial reaction to this thread was an almost automatic assumption that he'd get an LC70 base and then develop it separately, given the amount that his C60 now differs from the original Courage base I suppose there's nothing stopping him sourcing a tub from any one of the many potential suppliers and bolting on all the bits that make it distinctively a Pescarolo. The nicest solution might be for him to have a Peugeot "red team" - using the base chassis and engine but developing it separately from Velizy - much like some of the more adventurous 956/962 operators did.

While Pescarolo's departure would constitute an enormous shame (perhaps the best analogy to my feelings towards his team is that they're a bit like Osella or Minardi but successful) I can't help thinking his expression that closing the whole thing down is an option is just a reflection of his usual gruff demeanour. I'm reminded of his comments immediately after Le Mans last year, when he somewhat bleakly said he'd like to try again next year but who knew if that would be possible. Here's hoping to see him back with another spectacular car next year anyway.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1624402)   #12
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
russ250575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will they not be in the same position as Creation where to meet the new regs they only have to change part of the car now to make a full LMP1?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1624412)   #13
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ250575
Will they not be in the same position as Creation where to meet the new regs they only have to change part of the car now to make a full LMP1?
The part they now have to change is the most costly to develop though; they'll need to re-crash-test the new part too.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1624447)   #14
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
are Playstation still sponsoring them ?? .. maybe they can convince Sony to develop a new car .. and bear the Playstation name . PS3 something .. i bet it won't be not even 5% of all the money spent on PS3 advertising ..

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Jun 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1624500)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
How old is Henri?

I hope he's able to buy or develop a new car. Is that former Sauber designer still working at Pescarolo?

Or maybe running a 3rd factory Peugeot LMP1?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1624509)   #16
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
russ250575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
The part they now have to change is the most costly to develop though; they'll need to re-crash-test the new part too.
Would this be a lot cheaper than buying a Courage LC70 ?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:22 (Ref:1624666)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would hate to see Pescarolo leave the sport. Great driver and a fine privateer team owner. But everyone should be prepared for him to leave at some point. Sportscar teams do not continue on in perpetuity. If he decides to call it quits then that is the right decision for him.

Hopefully though he finds a competitive option moving forward in 2007.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1624675)   #18
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I would hate to see Pescarolo leave the sport. Great driver and a fine privateer team owner. But everyone should be prepared for him to leave at some point. Sportscar teams do not continue on in perpetuity. If he decides to call it quits then that is the right decision for him.

Hopefully though he finds a competitive option moving forward in 2007.
This nicely captures the pragmatic view I think we all have to have with sportscars. Thinking about it so many great privateer outfits have diasappeared (Kremer, Lloyd, John Fitzpatrick etc) and the best thing to do is wish them well and say thanks for the great show. The important thing will be for fresh and committed replacements to take their place.

Still hope we see Henri for many years to come though...
Old 1 Jun 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1624768)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
Is it though?

It's basically a lump or carbon to hang the engine, suspension etc. off. Theres isn't the tight packaging issues you find in F1.

As long as it's on or below the weight limit, and can pass the crash test, theres no problems.

I would have thought maintaining engines/gearboxes over a season, plus constantly evolving aero would be more costly.

One tub/design could basically last 3-4 years, less severe crash damage.

All of the key bits and pieces are well developed on the Pesca, just bolt 'em all to the new tub, as Creation, Zytek and Lister will do.

As for Pesca pulling the plug, doubt it myself.

His team appears to be better funded (Playstation/Sony and the Loeb factor) and better prepared than ever.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1624960)   #20
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With the likes of Ricardo Davila (Nissan Super GT designer etc) and Andre de Cortanze (Toyota TS01 etc) on-side, Pesca has access to the brains to design a new car...

Finance and desire are different...
Old 2 Jun 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1625072)   #21
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all depends on what happens at Le Mans in three weeks time... If he wins (we can assume he can, right?), he has to be picked up by a manufacturer or a wealthy sponsor. Peugeot would just have to see what they could do with him (shakedown test for the new LMP1 are late this year and that means scrapping all he's developped yet); Renault or Citroen could want to badge whatever he developpes next... If they fail (although their LMs season is pretty well started), the budget will be tight and they'll be hoping for sponsorship renewals from Sony and all...

Pilbeam used to sell it's front crash structure to SR2 teams. Lola was also open to sharing its B05/40 chassis. I think any manufacturer would be open to that, since sales are not that numerous. And anyway, non crash-tested parts (tub - but what about the hoops?) are relatively easy and cheap to make these days, and other parts (engine, approved crashbox from another manufacturer) just have to be correctly positionned via correct pickups and tub reinforcement.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 00:59 (Ref:1625092)   #22
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
While Pescarolo's departure would constitute an enormous shame (perhaps the best analogy to my feelings towards his team is that they're a bit like Osella or Minardi but successful) I can't help thinking his expression that closing the whole thing down is an option is just a reflection of his usual gruff demeanour. I'm reminded of his comments immediately after Le Mans last year, when he somewhat bleakly said he'd like to try again next year but who knew if that would be possible. Here's hoping to see him back with another spectacular car next year anyway.
They are something like an underdog, but with a good chance

I do tend to agree that his gruff demeanor may partially be a way to help drum up, or keep druming up support.

With respect to other's comments about being able to purchase chassis, even if to rebadge it, I would think most of the LMP manufactures probably would take up the offer--it helps defray their costs for all the setup of carbon tub manufacturing, and it seems like it does them no harm. If Henri's cars fail at Le Man this year, those are Pescarolos, not Courages. Same problem for Courage of course if he should win...
Old 2 Jun 2006, 06:48 (Ref:1625123)   #23
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think a pesca car will always pass the crash test
Whats about the fans? We need Pesca, 250000 spectators at the track + the tv only people, everybody 10€ and we will see him back next year
Old 2 Jun 2006, 07:47 (Ref:1625179)   #24
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
and a way of getting to lemans as well ger
that general view though about pescarolo just going off the map is very true about sportscar racing but i think if they went in 2007 or at the end of this year they would go out on a high and be remembered in the pantheon of motorsport history for a very long time as being the only team apart from bentley and zytek to truly challenge the audi R8
Old 6 Jun 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1628795)   #25
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the current Pescarolo chassis conform to next year's rules? I thought it may be obsolete next year.

I want to say I heard this was the last year it can be used, but maybe thats wrong.