Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 30 Jan 2000, 18:30 (Ref:6842)   #1
champcarfan01
Rookie

champcarfan01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I encourage everyone to be honest here. Who out of all series is the best race car driver,Who can drive on many diffrent kinds of tracks and many kinds of cars?
Old 30 Jan 2000, 20:49 (Ref:6843)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When he is healthy, my money is on Mark Martin.
Old 30 Jan 2000, 22:12 (Ref:6844)   #3
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also Jeff Gordon and Jacques Villeneuve would have to be considered strongly since they have both won big races on both types of circuits. Since F1 drivers don't race on ovals, we don't know how well they would really do on them. Nigel Mansell did well on both in CART but that does not necessarily mean that other F1 drivers would. Emerson Fittipaldi didn't land on the oval circuits running but he did prove himself on them later. I am sure Schumacher probably would do OK but after his Silverstone crash, who knows how he would do racing flat out in close proximity of concrete walls now?

Zanardi won on oval circuits in CART but statistically, he was much weaker on them than on road courses. Also he like Montoya were in best ride in the CART series. I wasn't too impressed with Montoya's performance at Gateway which I attended in person. He seemed to be awefully raw on ovals from my vantage point. He should show improvement in his second season to be mentioned in the same breath as the others listed above.

Also, Michael Andretti, Rusty Wallace, Ricky Rudd have proven to be good at both oval and road circuits. I have been impressed with Adrian Fernandez at both types of circuits as well. Watch out for Kenny Brack this season too.
Old 1 Feb 2000, 01:50 (Ref:6845)   #4
Lee Roy
Rookie

Lee Roy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is the best football player in the world, Marshall Falk or Maradona?
Old 1 Feb 2000, 02:41 (Ref:6846)   #5
Joe Fan
Veteran

Here is my top 25 list of best drivers in the world in alphabetical order.

Michael Andretti CART
Rubens Barrichello F1
Kenny Brack CART
Jeff Burton NASCAR
David Coulthard F1
Dale Earnhardt NASCAR
Adrian Fernandez CART
Dario Franchitti CART
Heinz Harald Frentzen F1
Jeff Gordon NASCAR
Mika Hakkinen F1
Eddie Irvine F1
Dale Jarrett NASCAR
Bobby Labonte NASCAR
Terrt Labonte NASCAR
Tommi Makkinen World Rally
Mark Martin NASCAR
Juan Montoya CART
Michael Schumacher F1
Ralf Schumacher F1
Tony Stewart NASCAR
Paul Tracy CART
Jacques Villeneuve F1
Rusty Wallace NASCAR
Alex Zanardi
Old 4 Feb 2000, 00:50 (Ref:6847)   #6
Joe Fan
Veteran

Well, champcarfan we are waiting to hear your opinion on who is the greatest driver in the world. One thing that is certain, it cannot be Dario Franchitti whose 6 CART wins have all been on road courses.
Old 4 Feb 2000, 02:45 (Ref:6848)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think you can seriously compare different drivers from different classes. Would Mark Martin or Jeff Gordon beat a top Indy driver in an Indy car and vice versa? I think if you would have to come up with a best driver, they would have to be successful in different disciplines, ie Mario Andretti. But is he really the best?