Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 6 Aug 2015, 06:43 (Ref:3564084)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
How to apply water slide decals

Any tips for how to apply these decals? I just got a rothmans Porsche which comes with decals on a sheet and have never done them before. Help!
Old 8 Aug 2015, 11:06 (Ref:3564558)   #2
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like using a water-based solution like DecalFix to fully secure them. I've got some models I've done years ago (Spark Jaguar XJR-14 Silk Cut for one) that I used it on and even with my limited skills they still look just as good as the factory applied ones, no signs of any peeling or damage.

Place the decal sheet in a tray of warm water, which should release the decal from the backing, I usually uses a set of tweezers to carefully slide them off the sheet - they are very flimsy when released. Try not to let them fold up on themselves, difficult to avoid, but it's not the end of the world if they do, usually with a bit of care they can still be unravelled.

I place a small amount of the DecalFix solution on the model with a brush, just gently "paint" over the area you are going to place the decal. Then I gently place the decal onto the model. You will get at least a minute or two whilst it sets to reposition the decal and move it about to your liking, so it doesn't have to be absolutely spot on as soon as you place it.

Once I'm happy with where the decal is sitting, I use a bit of kitchen roll to dab off any excess water on the top of the decal and smooth out any air bubbles. I then apply another layer of the decal fix over the top of the decal and then just leave it to dry.

So long as you don't rush it and your careful with the decals, it's not too difficult. And even in the worst case scenario of tearing one of them, they can usually still be applied in a way that you wouldn't even notice.

In my experience it's pretty easy to apply them to a standard that doesn't look dissimilar to the factory fitted ones.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 14:47 (Ref:3564586)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Craig, have a look on the web for references to the Micro System. That should give good photographic step-by-step instructions on how to go about the task. I use MicroSol and MicroSet to lay down decals, but DecalFix is a good alternative.

As suggested, use a brush to gently slide and pad down a decal - far less likely to stick than with fingers. As a rule, I tend to remove the individual decal with its backing sheet from water when the backing sheet starts to absorb water. The trick is to try to retain as much adhesive on the back of the decal as possible when it starts to move. Letting it get good and saturated tends to dilute the glue.

And I tend to really take my time over decalling - one decal at a time and waiting until it is good and set before starting to apply another one.

Best of luck!

Tim
Old 8 Aug 2015, 18:14 (Ref:3564613)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Great to hear from you Tim, a real name from the past... what is going on? A post involving both us too... very 2002! Thanks to you both for the tips. I have to say that I am a little intimidated by buggering the whole thing up and ruining the decals I wish I knew someone locally who could do it for me or at least show me what to and what not to do. I guess I'll have to be brave and give it a try!
Old 13 Aug 2015, 06:33 (Ref:3565743)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Great to hear from you Tim, a real name from the past... what is going on? A post involving both us too... very 2002! Thanks to you both for the tips. I have to say that I am a little intimidated by buggering the whole thing up and ruining the decals I wish I knew someone locally who could do it for me or at least show me what to and what not to do. I guess I'll have to be brave and give it a try!
Have you got any 'spare' decals and a 'spare' model you could try out the technique on before committing to the Porsche? A few test runs would probably make the real thing a lot easier. I suppose that a few spare decals and a cheap hotwheels toy would do the trick.