Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 20 Aug 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1687240)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
E Bay Question

I am as it were severely peeved. Nay beyond peeved I'm !

Why? I was bidding on a relatively new Brian James Race Shuttle. These things new are about £9 - 11K depending on spec. I was the highest bidder at a lot less than 9k but I was prepared to go to a substanial sum. I phoned the seller and told him I'd like to bid and that whilst I was overseas, if successful I'd PayPal him £500.00, pay him £200.00 on top of the sale price to deliver it for me and of course make sure his cash was there on delivery.

I placed the bid after the phone call, but on checking the next morning he'd removed it from the sale!

He had not stated that he was selling it elsewhere and reserved the right to remove it early.

There are currently two (higher spec) RS5's on E bay for £7K and £9k respectively. If I'm going to spend that kind of cash I'll buy a new one anyway.

Are sellers allowed to do this? I sell on E Bay and wouldn't dream of reneging on an agreement.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1687244)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is nothing to stop them doing it, but they are supposed to state that they may do it!

It really does annoy me too, when they do that.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1687315)   #3
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
There's no contract so they can do what they like until the "auction" closes (they're not really auctions pure & simple).
Old 20 Aug 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1687317)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although when you place a bid you do affect an agreement to treat. So there is the old "handshake" effect.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1687370)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I thought they could change anything until the first bid has been placed then it has to remain as is.
If you feel that strongly you could report him but I doubt you will achieve anything.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1687379)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But, I think the seller reserves the right to remove it before the auction ends. If the auction has ended, and you're the winner, then it's a contract.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1687495)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Although when you place a bid you do affect an agreement to treat. So there is the old "handshake" effect.
Legally I'd put it that you're making an offer when bidding. Which is only accepted by the seller when the auction ends and it is the highest bid. All the way until the time limit expires the offer can be refused, by the seller withdrawing the item for sale.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1687497)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I thought they could change anything until the first bid has been placed then it has to remain as is.
That would be awkward legally. Cos that would create some sort of binding relationship that would then be terminated by a higher bid - which is something neither contracting party can control. And what loss would be suffered by the bidder? No guarantee that he would not be sniped.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1687501)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I put the "Reserve the right to withdraw at any time" when I was selling my old car, someone phoned me up and turned up the next night and bought the car outside of eBay. Saved me a whole lot on fees too. In that sense it is just a bit like Auto Trader then.

I also believe auctions can only be ended whilst there is still more than 12 hours to go - it's to stop sellers ending items incase they don't make the wanted money.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1687503)   #10
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But surely if a seller doesn't get the price he wants, all he does it buy it back himself?
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1687506)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Err, no. Not exactly...
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1687547)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I am of the belief that, once the first bid goes in, they should not be allowed to withdraw the item. What would happen if everyone withdrew their auctions? eBay would soon die as people got ****ed off with it.

I guess I can see that there is an occasional need to withdraw an item, usually when it comes to cars, machinery or plant that is advertised elsewhere. Surely eBay could add a check box to the page where you list your item that adds a warning to the auction in big bold red letters warning that the seller may withdraw the item? If they don't select this option then, as soon as the first bid goes in the auction stands.

Why should a buyer get negative feedback if they fail to complete an auction yet a seller can do what they want?

I had an item withdrawn right at the last minute (literally within the last 5 seconds of the auction) because the seller said 'it did not reach the amount I wanted' - FFS surely that's the point of being able to set your starting price and/or setting a reserve.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 06:04 (Ref:1687881)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBay FAQ
How can I end my listing immediately?

If needed, you can end your listing before the scheduled end date. If there are bids on your item, you can cancel them.

Reasons for ending listings early include:

The item is no longer available for sale.
There was an error in the starting price or reserve amount.
There was an error in the listing.
The item was lost or broken.
Just checked this out so I guess I've got nothing to complain about. Hey Ho I really wanted that trailer too.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1689953)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Still think it's wrong!
Old 23 Aug 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1689983)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think those 'reasons' are listed because practically ebay can do nothing about it.

I agree it just isn't the decent thing to do.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 05:18 (Ref:1690093)   #16
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ebay is great when it works, but I've had a load of stuff on it recently due to moving and trying to clear out, and am getting peeved at the people who bid on an item, win it, then announce that they cannot pay for it....grr! I am of the belief that if you can't pay for it, you shouldn't have bid on it in the first place!!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1715259)   #17
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far I've been lucky with ebay. As a buyer everything I have bought has arrived safely. As a seller only one winning bidder said he could not pay as I did not have paypal - clearly stated by me! However I shoved the item back and made more!!

I have sold items at a loss rather than pull them, and under charged on postage. Its the risk of using an auction. If you don't like the risk it then don't use it.

I did wonder if the "stolen items" from the other threads had gone down this road...
Old 21 Sep 2006, 07:55 (Ref:1715261)   #18
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Everything I've bought has arrived fine....but the issue still goes on with the guy who bidded and then cannot pay. Did relist it but unfortuantely nobody bid!

So, if anybody wants a mint condition Belgian F1 GP programme from 2003...PM me
Old 21 Sep 2006, 08:08 (Ref:1715281)   #19
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've never really had a bad eBay experience...

Although I am waiting on 4 more models to come through and they seem to be taking forever!
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1715284)   #20
Suze
Veteran

England
Maybe this is your first then?!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1715807)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
That must be the only version on the planet you have there!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1715827)   #22
Suze
Veteran

England
Arse! Think it must be 02 then....sorry!

Try again!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1715840)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Teeheehee....sorry!

*takes nitpicking hat off*
Old 21 Sep 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1715842)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've bought and sold thousands of items(mostly sold) and can't say I've had much of a problem. I did get jammed recently when a seller went bust and didn't send my dvd after I paid him. Paypal has refunded my money.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1715855)   #25
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze

If it is 2003 you should be quids in!!!!