Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Oct 2016, 12:36 (Ref:3683831)   #151
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say I actually like the sound of that...
Old 1 Nov 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3684495)   #152
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I'm okay with that.

Even though I can't see Volvo or Lada staying.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 13:08 (Ref:3684523)   #153
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Zakspeed almost entered Volvos in the DTM when it was resurrected in 2000.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 14:59 (Ref:3684555)   #154
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Still a big mistake by DTM to not allow it.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 15:41 (Ref:3684567)   #155
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yes, but Volvo currently doesn't have a two door in their lineup.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 17:23 (Ref:3684590)   #156
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Still a big mistake by DTM to not allow it.
I thought it was Volvo which vetoed it?
Old 6 Nov 2016, 11:55 (Ref:3685929)   #157
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/s...heider-846836/
"Selfish" manufacturers threaten DTM's future - Scheider.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 14:05 (Ref:3685948)   #158
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Scheider
There has to be one set of rules and these have to be created by DMSB.
And this is what the manufacturers should work with, whether they like it or not.
The fact that manufacturers decide the technical rules is not the problem.

The problem is the lack of competition, as each manufacturer essentially has a single team (literally in the case of Mercedes). Drivers from the same team don't actually race each other. It's very different from V8 Supercars, where for example Holden teams do race each other.

Also, the calendar is too short and the 18-car grid is too small.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3686036)   #159
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I thought it was Volvo which vetoed it?
iirc Volvo didn't give Zakspeed the Permission to enter the cars and one of DTM's Rules is that you need the Permission by the manufactuerer.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 13:59 (Ref:3686228)   #160
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzo View Post
iirc Volvo didn't give Zakspeed the Permission to enter the cars and one of DTM's Rules is that you need the Permission by the manufactuerer.
That's what I thought.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 18:49 (Ref:3686280)   #161
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Okay so it's a big mistake by DTM and Volvo.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 18:55 (Ref:3686282)   #162
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Volvo now has the big discussion with the V8SC team running their cars. Volvo Sweden wants them stop racing and the team says they don´t have to.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 19:23 (Ref:3688915)   #163
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Here's a question. Say I'm the head of Callaway (I'm not, to be clear). I want to build six Camaros to race in next year's DTM. Can I? What do I need to do?
Old 17 Nov 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3688932)   #164
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, unless you are blessed by GM board and you commit to the same level of marketing and promotion of the other manufacturers.
Old 18 Nov 2016, 00:41 (Ref:3688966)   #165
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
So it's a manufacturers' closed shop? A shame. Thinking of the valiant Ruch Mustangs in the old DTM.
Old 18 Nov 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3689126)   #166
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Yep

No chance for privateers to enter.
Old 18 Nov 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3689140)   #167
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yep

No chance for privateers to enter.
Eh, not so sure anymore... with manufacturers apparently looking to downsize, I could actually see them changing their mind.
Old 18 Nov 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3689146)   #168
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
What would it cost to enter a car full sesaon? So only running costs. Manufacturers lease their cars for little of even free to teams.
Old 18 Nov 2016, 22:00 (Ref:3689149)   #169
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
What would it cost to enter a car full sesaon? So only running costs. Manufacturers lease their cars for little of even free to teams.
Actual cars used to be around €750k under the last ruleset, supposedly cheaper now, but of course that's just the cost of building them, not for development.

I don't think running them is more expensive than running an LMP2 or a GT3 - why would it be?
Old 19 Nov 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3689319)   #170
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Actual cars used to be around €750k under the last ruleset, supposedly cheaper now, but of course that's just the cost of building them, not for development.
Actually Norbert Haug revealed during a DTM race that a current DTM car costs 700-800k €. Development not included. So a private team would need either a rich sponsor or loads of paydrivers to just get a DTM programm off the ground. But even then, you probably wouldn't compete head-to-head with the manufacturers, as their testing and development budget is simply much higher.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 18:07 (Ref:3689468)   #171
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I back DTM's strong manufacturers involvment, for me it's good for sport to have factory teams with their budgets and so on. Thanks to that, there are no paydrivers in the series, so unlike as in present pay-and-drive motorsport world. However, that's a huge shame that since 2000 there were only four manufacturers involved, and BMW only since 2012 while Opel only till 2005. Would be great to see new manufacturers in the DTM.
By the way, I wonder how big DTM drivers' salaries are.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 18:17 (Ref:3689473)   #172
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Had a discussion about that on the old Racing1-Forum a loooong time ago.
From what I remember, you could become a millionaire as a DTM-driver, but it wasn't by any means a certainty. Most of the grid probably didn't make more than a regular upper-middle-class salary. And the millionaire thing was when they still had household names like Schneider and Ludwig and Winkelhock, who were highly marketable and showed up in TV commercials and what not - somehow I don't think today's crop of drivers is nearly as much of an asset to their employers and might consequently be paid less.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 18:32 (Ref:3689490)   #173
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
there are no paydrivers in the series
Of course there are, and there have been loads - it's just not quite so visible
Old 19 Nov 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3689554)   #174
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you able to name such drivers?
Old 19 Nov 2016, 20:29 (Ref:3689582)   #175
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I honestly doubt that any drivers makes one million € per year. If I had to guess, I'd say that most just make 150-200k€ per year.