Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: #1 LMP1 Team Fandom of your choice?
Porsche Team 15 19.48%
Audi Sport Team Joest 18 23.38%
Toyota Racing 19 24.68%
Rebellion Racing 8 10.39%
ByKolles Racing Team 3 3.90%
*No strict favorite for me* 14 18.18%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Apr 2016, 00:19 (Ref:3635798)   #26
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Even Peugeot were great to watch. They played the bad guys, well.
Funny, for me Peugeot were always the good guys and Audi the "evil empire" bad guys. The narrative was that the heroic Frenchmen entered the sport to save the integrity of prototype racing from the domination of cold corporate Audi.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 02:35 (Ref:3635807)   #27
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
But Toyota's program is in Cologne, Germany employing German('s) for engineering
Yeah, but isn't most of the car designed and made in Japan? I see a lot of Japanese sponsors on the car. I might change my mind about them if there are considerable German engineering in their cars .
Old 23 Apr 2016, 04:00 (Ref:3635816)   #28
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Toyotats03OUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Toyota in the WEC and Mazda in IMSA. I don't like the term 'team fanboy', because I'm a fan of lmp1 in general. Even when Toyota wasn't there I watched and rooted for Aston Martin and sometimes Peugeot. Mainly support Toyota because they were the cars that lasted and of course I desired growing up (MRS, Supra) along with the Mazda (RX7).
Not that I really need to answer what is my favorite team ,,, but I'm a huge Toyota fan ,,I been my whole life ,,my first car was a Toyota ,,,I am a big supra fan as well ,,Lexus lfa, celica, ts020, ts010 ,,I watch nascar ,just and only because Toyota ,, I love Toyota because of their product, their creativity and innovation,, when the lfa came out ,,I was crying of excitement ,, when I heard Toyota was coming back to lmp1 ,,I was jumping around of happiness ...and the day that Toyota wins Le Mans ,,I'm going to be very proud of the company ...
Old 23 Apr 2016, 06:42 (Ref:3635821)   #29
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ederss7 View Post
Yeah, but isn't most of the car designed and made in Japan? I see a lot of Japanese sponsors on the car. I might change my mind about them if there are considerable German engineering in their cars .
The engine and hybrid are made in Japan. The aero and car assembly are done in Cologne.

I follow Toyota in most forms of motorsport. WEC, Super GT, Super Formula, Nascar, GT3 with Lexus and next year WRC. But I like Mazda and Subaru as well. I'm a fan of lmp1 in general. But I hope the direction it goes in looks is more futuristic and less daytona prototype.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3635844)   #30
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
When I was testing the waters with sportscars (09-11) it was Audi all the way, but since the WEC was established I've just wanted to see good races, both between the factory and privateer cars.

Better a 23 1/2 hour ding-dong that ends up in a 1-2-3 rather than three different teams on the podium that finished laps apart.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 19:12 (Ref:3635907)   #31
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Better a 23 1/2 hour ding-dong that ends up in a 1-2-3 rather than three different teams on the podium that finished laps apart.
True, but funnily enough, it's the exact opposite situation at differently handled events like Daytona 24, where you'd rather have the most boring of races where the winner wins by 5 laps, rather than fake orchestrated GWC finish with 0,5 seconds between winners.

But thankfully at LM it's still pure, and what you say is so.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 19:55 (Ref:3635915)   #32
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota,then audi, and kinda porsche.....I just want to see good racing....and the best car/drivers/team win.
Old 24 Apr 2016, 04:25 (Ref:3635969)   #33
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow, that's a tough question. One of the things that makes LMP1 so awesome is the diversity of design amongst the different makes. I guess If I have to pick one favorite, it would be the Audi team. I have been watching sports car racing for over fifteen years now and Audi has been the brand most committed to the sport in this era. I have a lot of great memories watching them win so many ALMS races season after season. Back then, I would always cheer for the underdog teams, but I grew to appreciate over time just how awesome an achievement Audi's dominance was. Plus the various cars Audi campaigned were always incredible. I just wish I'd been able to start attending races sooner.
While Audi is overall my favorite team, my favorite of the current cars is absolutely the lovely Porsche. The 919 is simply stunning and the Porsche brand is legendary. Such a shame that the Porsche never was able to race in the ALMS as reportedly intended.
A final mention goes to Rebellion. Always a great fan friendly team and the winners of the final Petit Lemans, the very last ALMS race.
Old 24 Apr 2016, 13:03 (Ref:3636031)   #34
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would like Toyota win LM once because I have always seen them miss the victory despite their efforts since 1985.
Old 24 Apr 2016, 15:09 (Ref:3636063)   #35
yakMan919
Rookie

yakMan919 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lifelong Porsche fan here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Such a shame that the Porsche never was able to race in the ALMS as reportedly intended.
I enjoyed watching the RS Spyders dominate in the ALMS for several seasons, especially in 2007 when they typically took overall victories.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 03:50 (Ref:3636180)   #36
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I really enjoyed watching the RS Spyders compete for the outright win. Nothing like seeing the outright go to a lower class but then again the RS Spyder was in a class of its own.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3636308)   #37
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota mainly because I want them to win Le Mans at least once before they leave. If/when that happens I'll revert back to Porsche.
Old 26 Apr 2016, 00:58 (Ref:3636385)   #38
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Audi Sport for me, though I have to echo TRspitfirefan on liking Porsche's car better. Old ALMS allegiances win out.

Random photo of the R10, just because.

Also have a soft spot for Rebellion, loved seeing their Lola at Petit Le Mans in 2013.

And Toyota and ByKolles are okay too.
Old 27 Apr 2016, 08:10 (Ref:3636639)   #39
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like all 3 brands that are currently in LMP1. Probably my favourite car maker is BMW and that's a marque that I'll likely support regardless of the series and time.

I was never a particular fan of Audi before following sportscar racing but they have been my favourite team because they are very fan friendly, unlike Toyota(and to a lesser degree,Porsche), with all the access they give to us, fans. Audi Sport has been providing live onboard stream since 2011 and they are the ones that usually tests on more public places like Sebring and Monza, and they launch their cars much earlier than their rivals and, thus, give us more to talk in the off season, for example.

I also like that Audi is less conservative with their design, again unlike their rivals. Their livery was hideous in the last few season and they massively improved for this year. The car has a very ugly nose and windshield but I like very much the rest.

Porsche and Toyota have somewhat nice looking cars and I like them too but I can't support them due to their reclusive and more secretive nature.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3636971)   #40
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
I like all 3 brands that are currently in LMP1. Probably my favourite car maker is BMW and that's a marque that I'll likely support regardless of the series and time.

I was never a particular fan of Audi before following sportscar racing but they have been my favourite team because they are very fan friendly, unlike Toyota(and to a lesser degree,Porsche), with all the access they give to us, fans. Audi Sport has been providing live onboard stream since 2011 and they are the ones that usually tests on more public places like Sebring and Monza, and they launch their cars much earlier than their rivals and, thus, give us more to talk in the off season, for example.

I also like that Audi is less conservative with their design, again unlike their rivals. Their livery was hideous in the last few season and they massively improved for this year. The car has a very ugly nose and windshield but I like very much the rest.

Porsche and Toyota have somewhat nice looking cars and I like them too but I can't support them due to their reclusive and more secretive nature.
IIRC, Toyota gave a tour to some tenthers either last year or the year before. All these factory teams are secretive for a reason. I don't know if you follow these guys on twitter, but they give out plenty of behind the scenes stuff for the fans. Both Porsche and Toyota.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 09:32 (Ref:3637056)   #41
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The toyota tour was the first year they were there so quite a while ago now, we all had a great time and the following year we were on the pit lane visit poster from the ACO so one of my claims to fame
Old 30 Apr 2016, 00:06 (Ref:3637245)   #42
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's kind of a mix of all of them in a general way, but also none of them. There are things I like about each of them, but not one of them really does anything for my "heart" or whatever you want to call it. If they win, lose, dominate or break down, I just can't really bring myself to care much, so the only thing I care about is the quality of the racing.

I tend to relate to brands more by their road cars though, so my interest/feelings for the road cars is the major influence on my feelings towards the teams in racing.

Audi has been easy to sort of generally "like" or at least be okay with as they have usually been fairly "classy" and I've liked most of their drivers well enough. Usually their drivers were enough to have me somewhat on their side a few years ago.

Porsche is a company I have huge respect for and value a lot as a competitor, but I've just never really been in their corner and probably never will be. For the team, I liked the physical looks of their cars so far, and I generally like their driver lineup okay, but working against them is their terrible livery. I did like the way they used the different colors last year though, that was enough for them to earn my support for that race, which probably shows how little I care in general when something so minor tips the scales.

Other than the FR-Z86 and a few Lexus models, Toyota hasn't built a road car I've given a damn about in a decade now (and that's being very generous to the Celica), so they aren't normally a brand I've liked at all. They do seem to be the underdogs a bit though so that definitely earns them some points, and when they had the V8 they at least sounded okay so they had been the ones I was pulling for the most, even if it was a narrow lead.

Rebellion I was more of a fan of a few years ago. The more dead the P1... whatever privateer class is called now gets and the further behind the factory P1 cars they get, the less I can bring myself to be invested. Also their liveries have gone down hill a bit, but I still like them and want to see them do well.

Kolles... I respect his effort even if they don't always turn out the best.

On the upside of being a picky grouch it is kinda nice not really caring who wins or loses, it allows me to just enjoy the races. On the downside though, not caring about any of the entrants does dampen my enthusiasm for the class in general, and often I find myself just watching the first hour of the race and the final half hour because I'm just not invested enough.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 03:52 (Ref:3637269)   #43
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Since Panoz ended the prototype program, Zyteks went away, and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I haven't had a favorite. I'm more of a prototype observer, I guess.

I have strong opinions in the GT ranks, however.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 14:07 (Ref:3637335)   #44
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Porsche- I am happy as a duck on the pond on a rainy day when Porsche is around.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3637396)   #45
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Toyota, with Porsche a close second. Privateers come next, I cheer for any good results they can grab. Audi... I have massive respect for what they achieved over the years, but I simply cannot support them.
Old 1 May 2016, 00:22 (Ref:3637418)   #46
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm more a fan of specific cars rather than manufacturers or teams, the Toyota TS020 is probably my favorite car of all time and I could count in one hand the number of Toyota road cars I like and though BMW is my preferred brand (I'd likely give up my fiancée before my E92 M3 ) I think their sportscar efforts have been a joke for years. That said, Rebellion damn well know how to make a car look good, so my vote goes to them.
Old 1 May 2016, 01:07 (Ref:3637423)   #47
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I won't pretend to ever understand why people get tribal about their team in endurance racing - or any form of motor sport, for that matter. I love football/soccer, but one of the appeals of endurance racing is that it's absolutely nothing like it. I just want to see a good race.

That said, Toyota would be my "preferred" winner this year. I think it's long overdue.
Old 1 May 2016, 09:23 (Ref:3637476)   #48
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I won't pretend to ever understand why people get tribal about their team in endurance racing - or any form of motor sport, for that matter.
For the same reasons people become attached to teams/individuals of any sporting discipline - a sense of belonging or an attachment to a manufacturer from a significant event, be it within or outside motorsport. The only facet that doesn't translate particularly well is the locality of the teams, seeing as the manufacturers are global, corporate behemoths.

While you and I choose not to ascribe these feelings to any team I don't think it's hard to see why others do, especially for those who actively ignore the more popular team (i.e. ball) sports for chasing $£€s at the expense of the culture and fans.

At least it keeps the Audi/Porsche/Toyota threads ticking over nicely!
Old 1 May 2016, 11:55 (Ref:3637499)   #49
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to be a BMW and Ford homer at various points in my life. Nowadays all I care about is seeing a good race.

My cynicism can't help but creep into it. The manufacturers can PAY me to promote for them but there's no way in hell I'm doing free advertising for them. These are multi billion dollar corporations who do everything they can to make more money. And I feel becoming a "fan" of one is essentially doing free promotion.

Same thing goes for team sports. Those oligarchs, oil sheiks and others aren't getting a penny of my hard earned funds.
Old 1 May 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3637557)   #50
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
At least it keeps the Audi/Porsche/Toyota threads ticking over nicely!
The gearings of those threads don't keep moving solely due to fanboyism, methinks. There are also often tech(and other things) debates and those are the ones that I mostly care tbh.

Because I don't need the sense of belonging, I only watch when the series interest me for technical reasons(big freedom for development, innovative designs, room for creativity and variety...) and cars are fast enough, especially cornering-wise.

I didn't watch Silverstone and don't particularly look forward to the championship, this year, but the WEC still holds my attention in some aspects.

Overall, I think sporstcar fans watch more for the reasons I mentioned and for the actual racing rather than say, F1 fans, who are mostly(at least it seems to me to be so) "fanboyism" driven ones.