Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: LMP1 privateers in 2017 and/or 2018???
Rebellion Racing 27 87.10%
ByKolles Racing Team 26 83.87%
Oak Racing 4 12.90%
SMP Racing 16 51.61%
Strakka Racing 15 48.39%
Greaves Motorsports 2 6.45%
Manor WEC 15 48.39%
Signatech Alpine 5 16.13%
Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus 7 22.58%
Team SARD 0 0%
Team Penske 0 0%
Courage 1 3.23%
Perrinn Ltd 1 3.23%
Project Brabham 2 6.45%
HPD-Wirth 2 6.45%
Adess AG 1 3.23%
Dome 2 6.45%
Welter Racing 1 3.23%
???OTHER??? 4 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Jan 2017, 03:25 (Ref:3703069)   #76
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
.... being just close enough they can maybe steal a result occasionally is pretty much where everyone wants the class.
I think the fans hope for this ... I am not sure the manufacturers or the FIA-ACO wants this.

Fine if it happens that way. Parity should be the goal, IMO ... but I don't see FIA-ACO making any adjustments to speed up P1-L ... Until both the P1-H teams pack it in and factories are allowed in the new, unified P1 class. or whatever happens.

Whatever it is, it should be interesting, and since it is the FIA-ACO, it will probably be frustrating.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3703206)   #77
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I'm still going for zero in 2018. I think I hope I'm wrong, but looking forward to seeing Rebellion with competition and an IMSA eligible car this year. If teams lose the ability to enter IMSA or ELMS and just run P1 in WEC, I'd consider it a loss overall personally.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3704456)   #78
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perrin wants to join to LMP1 P in 2018

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/nic...perrinn-lm-p1/
Old 23 Jan 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3704476)   #79
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My French is weak but I think it says he has been working on the car all along ... it was supposed to be introduced a few years back, when a lot of others were also proposing P1 schemes which were never realized ... which is why I am a little leery of this one and even Ginetta's.

Great news ... i guess all he needs is the funding ...
Old 24 Jan 2017, 03:26 (Ref:3704642)   #80
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
There's not a lack of options for different cars, that's for sure. It's up to the teams to come up with a budget and get to it. In an ideal scenario, we'd see a Perrin, a couple Ginetta's, whatever Kolles plans to use and some SMP Dallara's.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3704700)   #81
silente
Racer

silente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like SMP Dallara plans are already a bit unclear, according to what DSC said a couple of weeks ago...
Old 24 Jan 2017, 12:54 (Ref:3704749)   #82
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the available chassises and engines, there are enough combinations to make everybody happy.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 13:16 (Ref:3704752)   #83
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The FIA-ACO needs to grow some balls and actually impose a hefty weight penalty for the Hybrid cars, or some kind of superlightweight rules for the L class. If the L class was 200kg lighter, then there might be a chance of serious competition.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3704767)   #84
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The FIA-ACO needs to grow some balls and actually impose a hefty weight penalty for the Hybrid cars, or some kind of superlightweight rules for the L class. If the L class was 200kg lighter, then there might be a chance of serious competition.
But lightness mean money, and privateers doesn't have money.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3704839)   #85
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What sense does it make to be running an efficiency class and then add weight to it? That'd undo everything they're trying to do and increase the energy consumption again.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3704842)   #86
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I feel like 800kg should be a good starting point for private teams.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 20:44 (Ref:3704845)   #87
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Something has to be done to at least give private teams at least an outside theoretical chance, even if it means having separate rules, like going back to an air restrictor formula/no fuel flow limit, which is probably the simplest change to administer to save private teams money while giving them a boost.

If there were 4-5 factory or semi-factory privateer teams in LMP1 right now, I'd say screw the non-factory aligned private teams who run off the shelf chassis and engines. It was that way in LMP900. But this isn't like it was back in LMP900 or early LMP1. You don't have the quantity of entries, period, to pull such a stunt anymore if the ACO are serious about keeping the class going longer term.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 23:53 (Ref:3718684)   #88
TF110
Veteran

United States
I think this might be a first glimpse of the Ginetta lmp1 cockpit; https://twitter.com/GinettaCars/stat...84678851211264

Old 15 Mar 2017, 00:43 (Ref:3718690)   #89
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think this might be a first glimpse of the Ginetta lmp1 cockpit; https://twitter.com/GinettaCars/stat...84678851211264

Do they even have a car design yet? Seems strange to have the cockpit so far advanced if the car doesn't exist.
Old 15 Mar 2017, 02:32 (Ref:3718695)   #90
TF110
Veteran

United States
On their twitter, it says it was from a media day. It's not the lmp3, the cockpit is different

here's the G57-P2

on top of that, FIA WEC's twitter liked the image. I took that as a sign
Old 17 Mar 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3719341)   #91
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ginetta expects to have six LMP1 starting the 24 hours of Le Mans 2018

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/gin...tion-des-2018/
Old 23 Mar 2017, 12:59 (Ref:3720903)   #92
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Andy Lewis joins Ginetta from Williams Advanced Engineering as head of aero.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...odynamics.html
Old 23 Mar 2017, 13:20 (Ref:3720907)   #93
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Please don't miss the key bit of info that is in the story above that is not in the Press release - what has Andy Lewis been doing for the past three years - You may be surprised!
Old 23 Mar 2017, 14:16 (Ref:3720912)   #94
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Please don't miss the key bit of info that is in the story above that is not in the Press release - what has Andy Lewis been doing for the past three years - You may be surprised!
Seems like just the man to build a first-rate second-rate car!!!

LOL at the whole class .... until next year when Porsche and Toyota fold and Ginetta has seven cars on the grid in the top WEC class.

I guess that is what is called "strategic thinking."
Old 23 Mar 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3720934)   #95
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

LOL at the whole class .... until next year when Porsche and Toyota fold and Ginetta has seven cars on the grid in the top WEC class.

3 years working on ther Porsche LMP1 aero is indeed rather relevant to Ginetta LMP1, cripes, what a poach that was.

Have you seen this engine from Mechachrome, admittedley its an old press release, but they made the hot-V V6 for last years GP2 car, so its just a case of adding the single central turbo......fwoarrrrr......its supposedly a 2017 F1 customer engine, but I am prepared to place money the LMP1 engine will look incredibly similar......if carlsberg made engines and all that......totally got my attention!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/exclusive-mecachrome-applies-for-formula-1-engine-tender/
Old 23 Mar 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3720952)   #96
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
3 years working on ther Porsche LMP1 aero is indeed rather relevant to Ginetta LMP1, cripes, what a poach that was.

Have you seen this engine from Mechachrome, admittedley its an old press release, but they made the hot-V V6 for last years GP2 car, so its just a case of adding the single central turbo......fwoarrrrr......its supposedly a 2017 F1 customer engine, but I am prepared to place money the LMP1 engine will look incredibly similar......if carlsberg made engines and all that......totally got my attention!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/e...engine-tender/
Like so... https://twitter.com/RacecarEngineer/...06162782924802
Old 23 Mar 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3721012)   #97
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:

When did Toyota and Porsche announce they're leaving the wec!? I must have missed that news story

That's a good pick up for Ginetta, they have a good name running the aero. I wonder how SMP and the CLM will stack up?
Old 24 Mar 2017, 00:29 (Ref:3721025)   #98
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
When did Toyota and Porsche announce they're leaving the wec!? I must have missed that news story
I wonder how long the pair are going to be willing to pony up the cash needed to run the series ... and if one leaves, and it is no longer a "World Championship" but is just two or three team cars racing ....

it's not like a lot of people expected Peugeot to bail, or even Audi.

Quote:
That's a good pick up for Ginetta, they have a good name running the aero. I wonder how SMP and the CLM will stack up?
Ginetta still has to make the essential step from virtual to real---real contracts, real deposits, real bits being constructed. If they want to be ready for 2018 they probably need to be up and testing by fall, right? And it is spring.

I sincerely Hope even half of the half-dozen "interested parties" come through.

But then ... it would be an all-Ginetta podium all the time because ByKolles surely won't be finishing.

And we know who you would hate that.

(Truly just kidding ... I intend to mock you for not liking IMSA's prototype charade for the rest of the season ... but never seriously.)
Old 24 Mar 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3721127)   #99
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
love it, looks like a brilliant motor, but the turbo installed height needs to be drastically reduced, but no big deal.......will be a brilliant customer engine and chassis package......I'm still convinced to this day that Oreca had a big conflict of interests in making the Rebellions too fast as they woudl otherwise start pecking at Toyota, who Oreca are contracted to help.......hopefully Ginetta & Mechachrome can build a giant killer.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 00:42 (Ref:3721298)   #100
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I wonder how long the pair are going to be willing to pony up the cash needed to run the series ... and if one leaves, and it is no longer a "World Championship" but is just two or three team cars racing ....

it's not like a lot of people expected Peugeot to bail, or even Audi.

Ginetta still has to make the essential step from virtual to real---real contracts, real deposits, real bits being constructed. If they want to be ready for 2018 they probably need to be up and testing by fall, right? And it is spring.

I sincerely Hope even half of the half-dozen "interested parties" come through.

But then ... it would be an all-Ginetta podium all the time because ByKolles surely won't be finishing.

And we know who you would hate that.

(Truly just kidding ... I intend to mock you for not liking IMSA's prototype charade for the rest of the season ... but never seriously.)
Just pointing out there's no indication that either lmp1 factory team wants to leave. More like the opposite.

The Ginetta is going to be in the windtunnel in the next few weeks, that's what the dsc article brought up. It seems to me they have a good program going on to pick up the ex Porsche lmp1 aero guy. That along with the other high profile members they've named makes this project a lot more legitimate than what I thought when it was announced.

On the CLM, the Nissan engine may be just what they need to be more reliable and faster. It looked like they were pointing fingers at the AER as the main cause of the problems.